Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Now Bode Miller makes the front cover of Newsweek Magazine - topless with goggles!

Poster: A snowHead

This is something of a departure for a Newsweek cover, in my experience.
Maybe the ladies would like to let us know if they'll be rushing out for a copy.

Bode puts in a medal-winning expletives performance in the Newsweek interview:
Quote:
"Look, a lot of the people involved with the U.S. Ski Team—the people that I'm representing—are unbelievable a--holes. Rich, cocky, wicked conceited, super-right-wing Republicans. But because of my morals, my principles, I can't judge them for that. The things they've done for me warrant respect, and I'm trying to pay them back."

Quote:
They put up with me, and I push those f---ers hard. I am a constant pain in their a-- about making them do all the s--t I think they should be doing anyway.

The interview mainly gives him a chance to express his dreams, particularly for Turin next month, here:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10856438/site/newsweek/

Any comments on this latest stuff?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
P.S. He's made the cover of Time magazine too, in a somewhat more traditional pose:

Their story is only available to subscribers. Here's the intro.:
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1149374,00.html
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well at least he's a better front cover than Dubya or Osama. The media's fascination with the guy is amazing. I mean he's currently the 32nd best slalom skier in the world, the 17th best Super G'er, the 6th best at GS and only the 6th best at Downhill (go look at the FIS site). Once a month (on average, approx) he makes an outlandish deliberately-provocative statement and everyone's fawning all over him. Anyway, good luck to him and his bank manager.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Interesting new website on Bode Miller, for those who just can't get enough! : www.joinbode.com
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Better looking than Alex Higgins too. This is the sort of thing that gets a sport noticed, and at least people are talking about some of the changes that could benefit the competitive side. Miller deserves a lot of credit for that. More power to his elbow...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
David Goldsmith, I'll have a copy of Time please Toofy Grin !
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
JohnHill wrote:
Well at least he's a better front cover than Dubya or Osama. The media's fascination with the guy is amazing. I mean he's currently the 32nd best slalom skier in the world, the 17th best Super G'er, the 6th best at GS and only the 6th best at Downhill (go look at the FIS site). Once a month (on average, approx) he makes an outlandish deliberately-provocative statement and everyone's fawning all over him. Anyway, good luck to him and his bank manager.
That's unfair. He's currently lying 4th in the overall World Cup - and that's when he's having a BAD year. Good luck to him, apparently he'll have to face a lot of prejudice and underhand tactics in trying to influence the sport to take a few steps into the 21st century.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Anything which makes more people take notice of ski racing is a good thing in my opinion. Just look at snowHeads in recent weeks as an example: when was the last time that we had a passionate debate about the merits (or otherwise) of a ski racer? I think that Bode making the front cover of Time and Newsweek will do more to get people watching the ski racing at Turin than just about anything else.

For those who are critical of Bode's off the piste behaviour, do you reserve any contempt for the media who are using him to sell their coverage of sport (and the associated advertising revenues that go with it)?

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 16-01-06 12:14; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PG,
Quote:

That's unfair

Ok, so I forgot to mention that he's 4th overall. Still not amazing for a guy that competes in all disciplines, who's billed as the fastest, with the technique to emulate etc. When Klammer, Tomba, Stenmark, Giradelli, Killy etc were the icons of the sport they were at the very top. Miller has obviously got the media game well taped.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great for the competetive side of the sport that he's getting the sport this kind of exposure but I don't think it'll benefit the average "man or woman on the piste".
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
JohnHill wrote:
... but I don't think it'll benefit the average "man or woman on the piste".

Doesn't that also apply to all the current crop of racers, no matter how meek they are off the piste, nor dominant on it?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JohnHill wrote:
with the technique to emulate

Does anybody say that Bode's technique should be emulated? All the pundits I've ever heard talk about him have said that his style is distinctive and breaks the 'rules' in many ways. Are there any serious race coaches saying to their athletes "no don't do it that way, you should ski like Bode"?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar.org.uk,
Quote:

Doesn't that also apply to all the current crop of racers, no matter how meek they are off the piste, nor dominant on it?

Absolutely right. The recreational ski experience is not connected to what happens on the race piste. Actually, if waves of new people come into the sport thanks to Bode (I doubt it) it'll just make things more crowded and more expensive. Strewth, that means he's really bad news. Osama Bin Bode.

Quote:

Does anybody say that Bode's technique should be emulated?

When he was at his peak (and he's past that now), coaches / commentators used to remark on what was going on below the waist - how he managed to keep a ski carving longer, how he generated more acceleration than anyone else etc.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JohnHill wrote:
When he was at his peak (and he's past that now), coaches / commentators used to remark on what was going on below the waist - how he managed to keep a ski carving longer, how he generated more acceleration than anyone else etc.

Yes, but wasn't that just a description of what clearly worked for him at that point? Surely coaches and race administrators will advocate whatever technique makes their athletes go fastest, not just copy the guy on the front cover of 'Time'?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Could they be related?

Bode Miller

Jonny Wilkinson
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Defence of Bode Miller's maverick stance has come from Olympic gold-medallist skier Picabo Street. She reckons everyone should relax about him and perhaps acknowledge that alcohol has played a part in other racers' lives:

"It happens all the time" she claims, and refers to a former rival who used to "take a couple of big ol' shots of schnapps before her slalom". She does not identify the racer concerned.

This release from Scripps Howard News Service.
snow conditions
I have it on very good authority that Finlay had a beer the day before he did the Lauberhorn and he didn't do to badly as a result wink
latest report
Yes, he got down the Lauberhorn pretty schnappy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy