Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Chaos Cometh

Poster: A snowHead
Been snowing heavily with gusty wind in Chamonix since about lunchtime. Lovely and light. About 12-15cms in the garden.

So of course the snow ploughs have been out doing a grand job.

Which doesn't help if you have summer tyres or chains as there's slippy snow, but not very much - enough to lubricate, not enough to make chains work.

Snowmaggeddon? What snowmaggedon?

(I felt the need for a second thread on the subject wink )

Tomorrow is going to be nuts.

As Pam suggested on the "other" thread, if your road is clear this evening and you can get out... Better out wanting to be in than in and unable to get out
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Man down: Morzine- Les Gets road is fecked!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Nadenoodlee, is it a Volvo XC90 on snow socks ?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just come through the MB tunnel, chaos all over the place.
Great day skiing in Courmayeur btw.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Apparently many varieties sans chains in ditches @BergenBergen,
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

is it a Volvo XC90 on snow socks ?

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I find it quite entertaining just to look at the traffic on Google maps Twisted Evil

We're going to northern Finland so no traffic issues for us. Apart from the fact there's no-one there anyway they all drive on snow and ice for over 5 months of the year so the weather is rarely a problem.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Saw plenty of expensive metal out of operators control in Megeve Wink

Road back to Cham was reduced to a craw, Polish truck driver 50m short of the crest of the hill putting his chains on. Plough truck stopped to shout at him, instead of apologizing for doing such a wee wee poor job and tow him to the top.

Home in Led Houches I was very glad to have a real 4x4 (ground clearance) so I could drive round the mess and get home.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I could drive round the mess and get home

that's often the tricky bit. I've been glad of chains sometimes, to enable me to drive round bits of mess which winter tyres alone wouldn't have coped with, but having only very ordinary clearance is restricting.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Any news of the roads leading to La Plagne please? My friends left the tunnel Calais end at around 8am.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Dougie, Check here for regular updates:
http://www.savoie-route.fr/?lang=fr
If the road is red at the right hand side - it is bad for your friends. Currently, therefore it is very bad I'm afraid, given that they should now be approaching Lyon. (timed at 1445).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name wrote:

Snowmaggeddon? What snowmaggedon?

(I felt the need for a second thread on the subject wink )

I wish people wouldn't refer to every bleed*n snowfall as 'snowmageddon'. In my book there's only ever been ONE snowmaggedon:-

And yes, I am becoming a bit of a snow snob rolling eyes rolling eyes
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@jellylegs, "snowmageddon" isn't really about snow, it's about what happens when rather modest snowfall coincides with peak lemming days. wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Exactly @pam w, there's normally one a season
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@pam w, Laughing

I was in Toronto earlier this week. There was no snow on the ground on Tuesday and the temperatures were a little above freezing under slate grey skies - very English. Overnight, a little wet snow fell, of which approximately nothing settled on the downtown streets. The fellow I was due to meet at 8.30am was 30 mins late, blaming traffic chaos on his commute. I expressed my astonishment that that should be the effect of such conditions in Toronto, of all places. He said it was the always the same with the first snow of the season.

My east coast American acquaintances say the effect of snow is worse the further south you go, which is understandable. In particular, the New Yorkers and New Englanders scoff when Washington grinds to a halt at the merest flurry. It seems we English are not the only muppets when it comes to driving in winter conditions.
snow report
I have friends who lived in Washington for a while and describe the chaos. Their two lads enjoyed being able to earn extra $$$ clearing paths.

In the Tarentaise the main problem is sheer volume of traffic on busy days. Big traffic jams can happen without a flake of snow.
ski holidays
laundryman wrote:

My east coast American acquaintances say the effect of snow is worse the further south you go, which is understandable. In particular, the New Yorkers and New Englanders scoff when Washington grinds to a halt at the merest flurry. It seems we English are not the only muppets when it comes to driving in winter conditions.

Ask anyone who lives in the mountains how well the city residents in Vancouver, Calgary, Reno or Denver cope in respect of driving skills. The answer is not well despite their proximity to big snowy mountains.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy