Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt

Poster: A snowHead
Hello peeps

off to Zermatt a week on saturday. Just after a bit of info from anyone who knows the resort well, recommended bars, restaurants, must ski runs etc...

Thanks in advance Wink
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Charlatanefc, snap!!! snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fancy a beer one night, and perhaps a wee ski???
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Charlatanefc, maybe, where are you staying, take it you fly on the 28th if I read your post correctly?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes mate, we are staying in the Hotel Romantika (not being romantic or owt, was the only place that would do 8 days!!), from the 28th till Sunday 5th Feb. Land in Basle at 13:25 so are hoping to be in Zermatt for about 6-7ish on the 28th.

4 of us going, 3 skiiers, 1 non skier (my mates girlfriend). Let us know if you fancy a beer or a ski, I'll pm you my mobile no.

Cheers
Ian
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Charlatanefc, Ok, thanks, we shall see what we can arrange, I have a feeling it will be a busy trip for us as we're having lessons, but I am sure something can be arranged, if only for a swift beer snowHead
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
IncogSkiSno, Oh, we make plenty of time for beer don't worry Wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Charlatanefc, I don't doubt it! Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I will be up there on Sunday, 22nd never been there before will let you know what I find out...only a day trip this time Sad
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Guys

There are a good few reviews here The search engine will throw up some more. It is a beautiful place ( poss my favourite resort?) . You have just enough time to prepare, go on an immediate starvation diet now. This is important , second take plenty off cash ( take a credit card with lots of credit snowHead ) . Its not that Zermatt is wildly expensive - you can lunch and drink as cheaply here as any other of the big european resorts, its just that's not the point of going to zermatt. Eat and ski like a king ( in that order!). Enjoy!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Recommended mountain restaurants are Chez Vrony, Paradies, Fluhalp, Blatten, Zum See, and Chalet Etoile in Cervinia. Recommended apres ski bars are the olympic (quieter), the Henustall (noisier), and the Papperla pub in town. The Vernissage is worth a visit, either for a drink, or to see a film. Le Mazot does outstanding food at outstanding prices.

For me, the best runs are either the White Hare off the Rotthorn, or the off-piste itinerary down the front of it. The Furg-furi black run is great first thing in the morning as well. Over on the Cervinia side, red number seven (2200m vertical) from Klein Matterhorn to Cervinia is a fantastic run. I'm told the run to Valtourneche is worth doing, but I've not managed to do it yet.

Other things that are apparently worth doing, but I've no personal experience of (yet!), include, helicopter transfers from the airport, and heliskiing in the Monte Rosa valley.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kramer, exactly what I was looking for, fella, nice one.

Keep em coming, children Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Make sure you go for a pizza at the North Wall Bar - www.northwallbar.com
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Martin Bell, thanks matey
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just came back from Zermatt. Hope you get some snow this week. We had full sun all last week and it hadn't snowed since 12/31. Snow is ok on the open slopes, off-piste is dirt and rocks for the most part.

I second the Zum See (down from Furri off the red trail that goes back to Zermatt) and Chez Vrony. Not a cheap meal but it's worth it... Being cheap in Zermatt really defeats the purpose of such a trip anyway.

Hope you have as much fun as we did...
ski holidays
Kramer wrote:
I'm told the run to Valtourneche is worth doing, but I've not managed to do it yet.

Valtourneche was closed alltogether for lack of snow last week... Sad
snow report
Kramer, Was it very cold whilst you were there, as in having to wear face mask?

Martin Bell, That looks like a fun place Cool
snow report
IncogSkiSno, it was extremely cold at alttitude, although I got away without a face mask.
latest report
We were lucky to have zero wind for the whole week except for friday on the Klein Matterhorn side where it was blowing at over 50 km/h. You definitely needed a face mask in those conditions... Zermatt is cold even in full sun it was always close to -10C which is not bad if there's no wind. We even ate outside at Zum See. With no wind and sun, you can get away with no face mask in my opinion.
ski holidays
Charlatanefc,
Second Fluhalp near the top of teh rothorn sector - it can get busy so maybe book ( zermatt is the only place I have ever booked restaurants for lunch). I like Tonis Grotte at Riffelberg and Stafelalp ( does good rosti) below shwarzee is a nice quiet spot out of the way.
Runs?? Triftji moguls below stockhorn are a proper mogul field -to difficult for most people so they are usually in great shape and fabulous ,if tiring, fun - one of the best mogul fields in the alps and with a huge choice of lines worth the T-bar! If your walet will stretch and conditios allow heli-ski Monte Rosa - a superb day out . On piste - in snow/powder the tree lined runs below riffelberg are very good ( get a good accumulation of powder). The Itinerie route Tiefbach ( 59) below shwarzee is hard and interesting - agian through the trees. Last run of the day? Get up to Furg on the Klien matterhorn cable cars and ski down through Furi - in late afternoon the crowds gather at the loads of bars in real alpine huts - drink gluwien, chill and then shuss the last section and either fight for a bus - or share a cab back to your accomodation snowHead
latest report
Also second the Flualp, but also tried the Farmhause (furi) I think thats what it was called. On the Italian side must try Chalet Etolie (just off the run 6 before the Plan maison). Generally most resturants on the Mountain are very good as long as you saty clear of the larger self service places - which aren't any cheaper IMO.

In the town we only ended up eating out once (chalet) and couldn't be bothered to move from the Brown cow so ended up having an excellent burger.

Bars - Brown cow ok, on the main street , Papperla gets very busy but does have a hot tub outside it for those keen enough to stripp down to there swiming costumes and sip champers. Also it is worth going to the Vernissage bar which is part of the cinema, very different to the others we ended up in, and you can watch film trailers from the bar, although the shutters come down when the real film starts (shame)
ski holidays
I'm also going on 28th for a week. This will be our first time skiing there. there'll be 6 of us in our group.
staying in an apartment which says it's 8mins walk from the Sunegga lifts. Looking to book ski lessons with Summit although they're based slightly further away.

Just hoping there's decent snow for when we arrive.
ski holidays
Try the new Marmottes, above Furi - very close, but an upward trek, best reached on skis: it's just where the Furgg-Furi run and the red run from Schwarzsee (via Hoernli or Stafelalp) meet. Stafelalp itself is simple, old-fashioned and good: the run down to it is beautiful, right under the Matterhorn, but from the restaurant to Furi requires alot of poling. Top end, have to agree that Chez Vroni, Findlerhof, Zum See are as good restaurants as they get up a mountain. Papperla is the lively bar early evening in the town, while the Vernissage is worth a visit (ultra-cool, or even weird). Fluehalp restaurant under Rothorn is wonderful on a sunny day - a little way off the piste and feeling quite remote (but crowded!).

Re skiing, Triftji/Stockhorn is superb, but I doubt whether that area will be open yet (much too little snow when I was there just before Christmas). The White Hare might be open, though, and I agree it is lovely, but it runs down from Hohtaelli, not Rothorn; the itinerary alternative down to Gant is great too. All the runs down from Furgg or Schwarzsee are worthwhile if they are skiable, but worthwhile in a variety of very different ways.

And while you are there, leave early one sunny morning and take the train to Gornergrat for the views and atmosphere - not more than once, as it is much quicker to take four lifts and two (three?) runs from the Sunnegga underground to get to the Gornergrat area.

highisland, My boys (black run type young teenagers - scary!) loved their lessons with Summit Ski.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy