Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Beginner looking for tips!

Poster: A snowHead
Complete beginner here, halfway through my second ski trip and looking for some pointers , criticism etc... Or tips on what to work on for last few days . Thanks
http://youtube.com/v/oFKLTYJzrCg
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi, looking pretty good for only a few days of skiing experience. you look pretty relaxed which is a good thing. i'm no expert and hopefully some one will come along with some better tips than me but in the meantime here goes.
Skiing requires two movements in two planes, up and down and side to side. you need to stand up to unweight the skis to initiate the turn. try not to swing your arms and shoulders about too much, this will help you to steer with your feet. keep your knees\ankles flexed so your hips are over your ankles and try to keep the feeling of your shins pushed against the tongue of your boots, all this will improve your posture. also keep both hands out in front so you can see both of them at all times, this also will help with keeping your weight forwards. Sorry that's quite a lot to take on, but are all basics and should be easy to implement. once you've got these things dialled in you can move onto the next stage. also try to keep your skis a hips width apart, they look a little too wide at the moment.

hope this helps
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looking nice for your second ski trip Smile

I like the way you bend the waist forward so that your shoulders are over your knees keeping you centered (fore/aft) and your turns are relatively round. However dropping your arms back can move your weight a little too far back and lead to rotation, so just try to keep your arms forward.

Secondly try to turn the legs before the upper body (turn legs inside hip sockets) so that your upper body is left behind more. This resulting separation will enable you to angulate better etc.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Xmasski, looking pretty good there. Your skiing looks really good for only your second week. Are you having any lessons this week? If not, it would be really worthwhile to have a private 1-2-1 lesson if you can. Your skiing looks really good for only your second week. Even in an just a 1 hour lesson with a good instructor they should be able to give you some pointers to work in and improve your skiing.

I'm not a instructor but my tip is to look at where good skiers have their hands. Yours are hovering around your hips.

(I know Snowheads always recommend lessons, but it looks from the video that you've got a good basis for an instructor to work on and move your skiing on to the next level.)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looks like you are in Zell and skiing under the Glocknerbahn which is a great area for learning, if you are looking for a private lesson let me know and I could recommend an instructor however with it being Fasching week they may well all be booked up.
Nice skiing by the way.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It seems to me that you push on outside foot, but your weight is too much on the inside foot.

http://youtube.com/v/tXUbCPuc4nw
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all the pointers will try put them into practice . Yep in zell am see at the moment and taking lessons for the week! Really enjoying it!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
How's the weather? Looks like some decent snow has fallen Tuesday / Wednesday? I'm heading out there on Saturday for a week.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A lot of snow last night and today. Good skiing! You picked a good week to come
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
"i'm no expert and hopefully some one will come along with some better tips than me but in the meantime here goes.
Skiing requires two movements in two planes, up and down and side to side. you need to stand up to unweight the skis to initiate the turn".

Hmmm ???- Check our Harald Harb on YouTube - an expert with a "new" way to learn and ski with shaped skis. Standing up and unweighting works, but old school and not good for future improvements. Whilst on the subject, with picture of snow plough above, the snow plough and then stem turn that inevitably follows is the enemy of good skiing in the future. Pushing the ski into the slope snow plough style, using muscle power, is the opposite to what you need to do to use skis as designed when you get better. It will get you up and running quickly as a beginner, then hold you back. I know - I was a "champion" snow plough, stem turner now Harb convert. I wish somebody told me the Harb way earlier.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I thought @Xmasski skied well in her video and hope she continued with whoever was providing the lessons, the basics are good so far.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@gardyco, watched his first lesson but it's based very much on the student already being capable of getting down at least a nursery slope. The video above is from a stage in the process prior to that, and later videos in the series cover how to start getting rid of the stem turn.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I agree Harbs way is more difficult to conquer as a beginner, I guess that's why the snow plough etc is taught to most beginners, it gets you going quickly and able to ski around, where as Harbs method would probably have a beginner learning the technique before being able to ski around as much i.e. develop slower but for better result in the end? Either way I think its good to be aware of Harbs method and look to ski that way as soon as one is able and not spend a long time practising "old school" technique that you may want to change in the future to advance and get the most out of shaped skis. Harb does have some Youtube clips aimed at complete beginners on an easy slope. His method does work though, once you try, I think you will be converted to his turns. As you can tell I am a convert after a lot of "old school" style skiing.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi gardyco, I'm a Harald Harb fan, and I have all his books and CDs and skiing with his method. But you can not encourage a person who does not know the system just have to start watching the video on you tube. You should read at least "Anybody can be an expert skier." His first book if you really want to know the way to follow. Very Happy Very Happy then you can watch videos.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I disagree - that's the beauty of Harbs method it is pretty much one simple technique. Looking at YouTube and copying is great start. I have the book, some interesting comments and things to practice but a lot of filling to basically get to the one method of turning. The vids on you tube take you right to step 1 doing one turn on very easy slope, can't see the problem with people trying that out. Harbs self titled series "Harb teach yourself..." Is quite a good lead from the man himself.
http://youtube.com/v/nlMn5UZNFxc
snow report
As for the music - well he is a good skier...but.....Anyhow, good luck Xmasski!
snow report
Yes, I know this video series. Yes it is simple..... but....

it is actually less simple than it seems. Because every time you read books and then try and again reread, always find new things in the pages themselves. It 's so for all. Puzzled
However, if you really want to get into the system books and forums are fundamental.
In the old forum thread you can find a lot of really useful information. As well as in the video comments section.

http://www.pmts.org/pmtsforum/viewforum.php?f=15&sid=2539c89a2c8cfec2b8a4dd038167e0cb
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy