Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Private ski lessons advice

Poster: A snowHead
Me and my family, total of 3 adults, are going on our first ski vacation to La Plagne in a couple of weeks and I wanted to get some advice regarding ski lessons.
I contacted a few schools in Belle Plagne where we'll be staying and all of them except one can only offer afternoon lessons starting at noon or 1 pm, the one school that offered morning lessons has an instructor available for one hour only at 8:50 am.
So I have a couple of questions:

1) Are afternoon lessons going to be different from morning lessons for beginners? which one should I choose?
2) If I choose the afternoon option, does it matter if I choose to start at noon or at 1 pm?
3) If I choose the morning option, is one hour enough time to learn and improve?
4) How many days should I take private lessons for, I'm thinking 3 or 4 days should be enough right? should I take them in a row or a day apart?

I know those are a lot of questions, but I would really appreciate the help.
Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
IAF08 wrote:
1) Are afternoon lessons going to be different from morning lessons for beginners? which one should I choose?
Shouldn't be any difference, although as a beginner you might be advised not to ski until your first lesson so you might not ski on your first morning in resort.
Quote:
2) If I choose the afternoon option, does it matter if I choose to start at noon or at 1 pm?
Probably won't make any difference.
Quote:
3) If I choose the morning option, is one hour enough time to learn and improve?
One hour is too short, IMO, for a private lesson. A couple of hours is a much better option.
Quote:
4) How many days should I take private lessons for, I'm thinking 3 or 4 days should be enough right? should I take them in a row or a day apart?
Difficult to say as it depends on the progress you and your family make (which might well be very different), and in the long term how much you want to be able to develop your skills to provide a foundation for future skiing. No 'right' answer to this question, IMO.

Just out of interest, why private lessons rather than group lessons for your first week of skiing?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have you contacted Reflex ski school? They're the best for private lessons in La Plagne, I found.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@rob@rar, My brother has a hearing impairment and I don't think he would do well in a group of 8-10 people, we prefer to ski as a family.
@LeFou, yes I did unfortunately they told me that because their instructor comes from plagne center they can only do one hour in the morning
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
IAF08 wrote:
@rob@rar, My brother has a hearing impairment and I don't think he would do well in a group of 8-10 people, we prefer to ski as a family.
Very good reason for private lessons.

I don't know the ski schools in La Plagne very well, but Lime Snowsports might be worth contacting if you have not done so already. Good luck with finding suitable arrangements.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@rob@rar, yeah I contacted them already, btw thanks for the answers
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you offer to meet the instructor at Bellecote, I've had them meet me there at 9:10 in the past. Might be worth a shot.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Was it oxygene, esf and el pro you contacted in belle plagne ? If not may be try those.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@LeFou, they said the instructor could be at belle plagne at 9:15 but since he has to be back for a 10:30 lesson in plagne center he has to leave at 10:15, do you think if I suggest bellecote it would make a difference?
@jarjer, the only one that I haven't heard from is esf maybe I'll get lucky and there is a spot open in the morning we'll see.

If nothing changes what do you guys think I should do? should I go for the one hour lesson in the morning or the 2 hour lesson in the afternoon?
also how many days should I take?
I really appreciate all the help Smile
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@IAF08, one problem, at this stage, is that because it's a very peak time of year the ski schools have been pretty booked up for some time.

For the same reason, it's very good to be in a ski school lesson as you get priority on the lifts. When you're a beginner, especially an adult beginner, it takes a few sessions to get enough confidence and competence to be able to "do your own thing". I'd prefer to be in a series of group lessons every day, in that situation, though I can see the problem with your brother's hearing impairment.

If you do private lessons I'd say do as many as you can afford, and all in a row. If you have a "day off" after only one lesson you might not be able to do enough to make good use of your time - and have fun. If you have any days off, have them at the end. And ask your instructor for advice on where to practice, between lessons.

Good luck.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Have you tried having some one on one lessons at a ski dome before you go... It might help...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
IAF08 wrote:
@LeFou, they said the instructor could be at belle plagne at 9:15 but since he has to be back for a 10:30 lesson in plagne center he has to leave at 10:15, do you think if I suggest bellecote it would make a difference?

He could probably get there 5 minutes or so quicker and could leave 5 minutes sooner (or more depending on where he took you for lessons).

I'd have thought that the afternoon sessions would be best, but as Rob said you might be advised to stay off the slopes first thing, which loses half a day. On the other hand if you've done some dryslope or indoor stuff before you go then you'd probably be alright getting the bubble down to Bellecote and larking around on the small nursery slope for a bit.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
OK so I contacted all the schools again and asked them if they can work something out so I don't miss half a day on the first day and oxygene offered to book me a morning lesson on the first day for an hour and a half and for the rest of the days afternoon lessons for two hours. I think it's a good solution, what do you guys think?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sounds good. Snap it up quick.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@IAF08,
Quote:

I think it's a good solution, what do you guys think?

Agree with @pam w, snap it up. A good compromise.
ski holidays
So I finally got a confirmation from the school that the lessons are booked. I just want to thank everyone in this thread for all the answers Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy