Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Old School Telemark

Poster: A snowHead
Anybody still skiing on skinny skis with leather boots or am I the only luddite out there? Be very interesting to hear from anyone who still uses the more "traditional" gear.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just you I'm afraid........
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No, that can't be right there must be others out there. Will it ever become fashionable again. Vinyl records are making a comeback why not skinny skis?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Like Björn Borg's comeback with a wooden racket?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Once you retire you shouldn't come back. I haven't retired yet and I don't intend to. I ha. d hoped to find at least someone who still used leather and skinny skis. What do you ski?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@alistairpink probably still has some........
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Who is @alistairpink?
I see your location is Briancon. I worked in the Haute Alpes in the late 80's, (Ski School, Vars). Skiied at Serre Chevalier on a good number of occasions. Also at Montgenevre, Les Orres and Puy St Vincent. My favourite place, however, was/is St Veran.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@entwistle,
Technology moves on and improves / makes things easier. Why uninvent the wheel or deliberately make things difficult for yourself?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@entwistle, I have setup I occasionally use at Hemel --- it's great fun, and a humbling reminder of how good the new kit is. Feet get really really cold though .
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
KenX wrote:
@alistairpink probably still has some........

Yes, I have an old pair of Asnes Telemark Competition skis with Rottefella 3 pin bindings (195cm long with width dimensions 66mm at tip, 55mm underfoot and 60mm at the tail Toofy Grin ) and a pair of Artex Leather 75mm duckbill boots, this was my original Telemark setup. However I don't wish to sell them as I keep them as a set of X-C skis, and on the rare occasions when there is enough snow I use them to ski from my house down the street to the local park! Laughing

Here I am on them on a snowy day:

ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Alastair Pink, Fancy a "Leather Boot" meet at Hemel ?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ski,I think I'll give that a miss thanks, as you say the new kit (NTN etc) is so much more forgiving! Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Only for XCD and spring corn, have a pair of Tua Montets with Rotafella front throw & 3 pins, boots Asolo snowpines.
New school is T-race and voile hardwires on older Mantras.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 10-02-16 17:54; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
/Lurk
More 'new old school' really
I alternate between Madshus Glittertind 200 long with NNN-BC (55 underfoot) and Extrem Project175's with NTN freedom (110 underfoot) depending on resort and snow conditions. Skinnies are excellent for honing technique, and make small hills really exciting. Often take both and do the first hour on skinny, then switch up to the monster truck gear when the thighs start screaming. Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
"Who is Alistair Pink" Laughing
ski holidays
@Alastair Pink, I'm on Hammerheads so still (moderately) old skool!
They rock with plastic boots though Very Happy
snow report
I'd love a "Leather Boot" meet but at the moment all my gear is in France. I'll bring some back after Easter and perhaps we can give it a go then.

I know what people mean about re-inventing the wheel. I just enjoy skiing on the hippy sticks. One does need to have reasonable skills in order to get anything out of them and poor technique soon becomes apparent. Each to their own I guess.
latest report
@KenX, Hammerheads are def NOT old skool !! Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
@ski, almost, they're 15 years old now!
ski holidays
Don't have leather boots and cables as I am on NTN but am looking for some more racy skis than my current all mountain Salomon Q98s and thought the contributors here might have some views.
Any suggestions for a GS type ski that would be good for racing?
snow report
@entwistle r u 4 real? would anyone drive ford model T again? buy normal skis and boots and go skiing. skinny skis and leather boots smfh.
ski holidays
drvosjecha wrote:
@entwistle r u 4 real? would anyone drive ford model T again?

I would, but only with a blown big-block in it Very Happy
latest report
drvosjecha wrote:
... would anyone drive ford model T again?

A guy I attend the odd garden party with drives one to them. So the answer is clearly "yes".

You're missing the point, perhaps deliberately.
snow conditions
@colinstone, Pretty much any consumer GS ski will do --- you probably don't want a full FIS men's ski... For indoors slalom skis work well.

@KenX, I've just swapped some for a pair of Outlaws.... liking the NTN power Happy
snow conditions
@philwig lol and how can we know u tellin the truth? for all as we know you the troll here.
snow report
@ski, skied on them yet and if so, how do they compare to the Rottefellas?
snow report
@KenX, Nor yet (managed to get sick instead of going to La Grave Evil or Very Mad ) .... however on the bench they seem more progressive than Rottefellas --- similar in feel to the HHs they replaced. They are also a bit lighter too ! When I'm well I'll take them to Hemel -- maybe have them on on foot and Superloops/leather boots on the other ...
ski holidays
Just got a pair of unmounted Asnes Super Telemark TM3 off the equivalent of gumtree in Norway. I'm really rather pleased. I'll be putting some Riva II cable bindings on them. Then I'll have to wait until Easter for a week skiing around Bonneval sur Arc. It's not the equipment you use it's what you're able to do with it. Better go and change the oil on my Model-T.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy