Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian Summer resort as good as Grindelwald

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone recommend a Summer resort in the Austrian Alps that is as good as Grindelwald, Switzerland please? It is a tall order as summer walking in Grindelwald is second to none and has so many gondolas trains etc that link into each other year round. We would love to do Austria for walking but are not able to find a resort which has lots of gondolas etc that could provide us with enough walking for a week. Grindelwald offers year round activities, Ski and walking but not sure we can find an equivalent in Austria.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@emmaski, there are masses of summer resorts in Austria that offer you all of what you want and more. But you won't like them as it seems you just want to return to Grindelwald.

I have to say I found Grindelwald grim in summer, much more fun to be had at Lauterbrunnen!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Really? Grindelwald has some very challenging walking for eg First to Schynigge. Where in Austria is less grim than Grindelwald then Puzzled
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@emmaski, you're living in the French alps? No shortage of wonderful walking though in the wilder areas you might have to walk up yourselves rather than get a lift.

Chamonix has summer lifts though, as do many other areas.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Actually most of the french alps close down their gondolas in the Summer which means starting at low altitiude on foot reduces the amount of high altitiude walking you can do in a day.There could be great walks but with gondolas closed it is difficult to do walks at altitide unless you are a real local and know what's open year round. France is a strange place in the Summer. The ski resorts such as Meribel etc close down and are like ghost towns, so actually no this is where Switzerland and Austria are more geared up I think. I will look into Chamonix then. We have done the Mer de Glace etc but they weren't long or testing for us. Thanks for the feedback.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
What kind of walking are you looking for? Mostly on grassy alpine pasture, rocky trails or on snow/ice?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Definately not snow and ice with my knees but some alpine hikes near mountain lakes, alpine pasture is good too. Normally walk around the 2000m mark and either circular walks or some ending back in the nearest town or village. We normally like to walk for around 6 hours a day.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's a bit hard to know where to begin there are so many options and it depends what you are looking for.

But you could take a look here.

http://www.wanderdoerfer.at/en/

Or here

http://www.schladming-dachstein.at/en/holiday-activities/summer/hiking-climbing

Or here

http://www.lechzuers.com/hiking/
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@emmaski, Have you considered Zell am See? Beautiful lake, pretty town with an old market square, and you can travel there by train (if that is your preferred mode of transport). I'm sure there'll be walks in the surrounding area e.g up to the Schmittenhöhe. Apparently there is a special discount Summercard which guests in the accommodation receive.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Les Arcs is a fairly lively resort in summer (1600/1800, not 1950/2000). A few lifts are open - we use them for mountain biking. The Vanoise Express also runs in summer so you can include La Plagne. The Tarentaise is beautiful in summer (but granted the resorts themselves aren't as picturesque as Austrian villages).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for all the tips. I will look through. I am particularly interested in the Schladming region. Have you been Nozawaomsen? Probably more what we are looking for.
AlastairPink- Zell am See looks great too. Thanks. That is plenty to be getting on with. Will be nice to try some different regions and people experiences on these areas would be much appreciated.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@emmaski, yep many times. Lots of well marked trails of different difficulty and length. Lift accessed and non lift accessed. Tourist office will send you lots of guides and maps if you ask them.

http://www.planai.at/en/summer/hiking

http://regio.outdooractive.com/oar-schladming-dachstein/de/touren/#zc=10,13.57635,47.40950
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You have hit the nail on the head perfect many many thanks. I have emailed Schladming tourism already. Looking at September. Looks awesome and will keep doing lots of research on there and the other resorts. Many thanks for all your feedback, much appreciated. Have you been to any specific resports that have good gondola links etc that I can maybe start with ?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@emmaski, small but beautiful place called Brand.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dont know how deep your pockets are but this Summer visitor card in Saalbach is bonkers:
http://www.saalbach.at/en/summer/the-valley-of-games/joker-card.html
Unlimited,free use of gondolas and a bunch of other stuff which may or may not be of interest to you. Wherever you go you're likely to get some kind of card for the odd 10% off here and there but this Joker card is unbelievable, lord knows how it works as the lift companies must lose a fortune...
Gorgeous area for hiking and much more, easy to reach by train and bus.
Like most places in this wonderful country, highly recommended!!
snow report
Lots of places. Not all gondys of course and you might have to slum it on the odd bus to get good ridge walks in. Lech has heaps of stuff for a week. Mayrhofen and Zillertal could probably keep you busy for a fortnight. Kitzbuhel area is another.
snow conditions
@emmaski, I have done a lot of walking up on the Dachstein/Krippenstein. There are some incredible walks there, it really is one of the most beautiful places to hike. There are some very challenging walks too, you would enjoy the one to the Simonyhutte by the sounds of it. Thats the next one on my list Madeye-Smiley

http://www.hallstatt.net/about-hallstatt/active-summer-holiday/wanderzeit-en-US/hallstatt-en-US/simonyhuette-en-US/
snow report
@emmaski, It's not Austria, but the Dolomites would meet your needs perfectly.
snow report
RobinS wrote:
@emmaski, It's not Austria, but the Dolomites would meet your needs perfectly.

Hmm. We had friends who did the Dolomites last year. I am not a mssive fan of Italy. The photos looked great bit think I would like to try Austria first and see how we get on. I will certainly bear that in mind though as it is easy to get to for us.
ski holidays
Quote:

I am not a mssive fan of Italy.

But one bit of Italy has practically nothing in common with another bit of Italy. The scenery in the Dolomites knocks most mountains out of the park.
latest report
@emmaski, like @Kooky, says there some great stuff from the other side of the Dachstein as well

Hallstatt itself is well worth seeing.

And there's some good high level stuff round Gosau which is lift accessed.

http://www.dachstein.at/en/summer/hiking-leisure/walking-tips/hiking-in-gosau/

This has some more ideas.

http://www.salzburgerland.com/en/hiking-trekking/index.html

If you were based in Schladming then there are plenty of great walks starting from the top of the Planai ift if you don't fancy hiking up.
latest report
Thanks for the link. I think Schladming sounds the best option and easy with flights etc. Austria is definately where we want to explore next and has been well overdue.
snow report
Schafalm at top of Planai is a good place to refuel (open through summer as well as winter).

http://www.schafalm.at/
latest report
And don't overlook that awesome downhill mountain biking in schladming. There are endless biking options in the area. There's a good e-bike hire system.these bikes make uphill easy. One of the most stunning hikes in the area is to giglachsee.many options but this is the most common option http://www.outdooractive.com/mobile/en/hiking-trail/schladming-dachstein/from-the-ursprungalm-to-the-giglach-lakes/1533824/

Schladming also operates a summer card scheme that can save a lot on lift tickets.
latest report
@waynos, yes I've done that walk, goes through lots of interesting different terrain.
ski holidays
Schladming it is. Wow so much info you are all so kind, thank you so much for taking the time to recommend some fab places. That looks like a possibility for September.
ski holidays
Hi there, you might want to take a look at the Dolomites. We were there last summer, in Colofosco-Alta Badia, and it was a magical place to hike/walk/climb. All the lifts were operating though we never used them, seemed too much like cheating. Worth investigating on Alta Badia, Summer. in my view a far closer experience to Grindelwald than Schladming (which is perfectly fine btw). Only drawback is it's not Austrian Alps, but being South Tyrol it's a lot closer to Innsbruck than other parts of Austria so worth a look in. All the best.
snow conditions
Thanks for your help.mAs i said in a previous post we are keen on pursuing Austria for the moment. We are not terribly keen on Italy for one or two reasons but will maybe look at that in the future.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@emmaski, make sure all the lifts you want to use are open...the Summer Lifts start closing in early September. Some are open for longer of course
snow report
pam w wrote:
@emmaski, you're living in the French alps? No shortage of wonderful walking though in the wilder areas you might have to walk up yourselves rather than get a lift.

Chamonix has summer lifts though, as do many other areas.

I received an email back from Chamonix tourism and as I suspected the cable cars are only open during the Summer holidays (July/Aug) so that is where the problem lies at many french resorts. They seem to remain a ghost town most of the Summer.
snow conditions
I have noticed since living here for the last 10 years that the summers are getting increasingly busier.
With the opening up of many of the bike parks, mountain bike guiding and "newer sports" like the canyoning/rafting the towns that used to be ghost towns in the summer, (and Flachau was always like that) are really buzzing now.

Last year Zell am See was absolutely rammed in the summer Shocked
snow report
I loved the summer walking in Austria last year. There are literally hundreds of graded walks (blue, red and black like piste grading), not to mention stunning views, sparkling lakes, activities for kids, the usual Austrian welcome in the huts and hotels. Beats a beach full of drunken flabby bodies any day...
snow conditions
Yes, the Alps in summer are wonderful. I spend time at my apartment at different times of the year. The "summer proper" is quite fun, with the resort busy and lots of people around but I must say that I enormously enjoy my late spring (flowers!!) and autumn visits, when the peace is overwhelming. My favourite areas to walk are where there aren't any lifts - open or not. I love skiing but have to say that the hardware adds nothing to mountain views! I've used the Chamonix lifts in summer to get up to altitudes I'm too idle to walk up for myself, and the views are glorious, but there are just too many other people around, sometimes!

I tend to avoid Lake Annecy, beautiful as it is, in high summer, especially at weekends, but that's a great trip in late spring or autumn, too.
snow conditions
@emmaski, Saalbach has a thriving summer season and is supposed to be one of the best areas in the Austrian Alps for hiking - see http://www.saalbach.com/en/summer.html (4 cable cars are open during the summer).
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy