Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

When do you book?

Poster: A snowHead
I usually book 6 months in advance, I read the brochures for information on the resorts that interest me and hunt for the best deal I can find.

As I'm a single traveller this can be quite difficult but I think I do rather well, I've booked up for next year to Fernie for under £570 (including insurance) through Inghams.

Not bad, eh? snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I booked the Jan holiday in September, the March holiday in Feb and the Easter holiday 7 days before I went. I booking now for next Jan.......
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A mixture. A group (Cool of us who go each year book about September for a chalet in January (quite often get free ski passes in Jan). Then when the two of us go we will take more chance and have been known to book 4 days before.

RichardB - that sounds a great deal! snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
How did that icon get after the word 'group'? I pressed the number 8, Wierd!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
RichardB, that's presupposing that Ingham's don't (i) cancel your flight (ii) decide there aren't enough bookings to make yours worth continuing with (iii) change your departure time/airport at the last minute.

I don't use Ingham's any more.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If you put the eight in brackets, it will presume that the eight) is the cool smiley. Click on the smiley at the bottom and you'll notice it puts eight) - in numbers - in your reply.

CCoolCooll!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I usually try and book as soon as the early bird brochures come out if theres lots of us going (like to get my 75% discount in early). If its just me and a few friends, we usually book december time for March holidays
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If I had my way, I'd book both hols as soon as I could when coming back from this years'. However, M. Coins makes me wait Sad - can't think why, not as if you're going to get a better idea of the possible snow conditions if you book in November as opposed to May! Main March hols normally booked July/August-ish, Jan hols booked at last minute (for me!) October/November.

We tend to stay in hotels so it's not even as if there are last-minute bargains to be had (has anyone every had a late deal with a hotel??)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes, I got a week in Flaine for half brochure price - it was technically a chalet hotel, but iin reality it ws a hotel with one night where you had to go out for food

We book ealry for the big group holiday (just sorting out next January in Val d'Isere), and last minute when there's only a few of us
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Depends what date we are planning to go.
Followed David Goldsmith's advice last year in early season - to wait and see where the best snow was... Booked a Ferry a few weeks in advance for the week (13th Dec) - and then booked accommodation a week before (getting a 40% discount on prices that were ridiculously cheap anyway)... will do same next year!
But - Feb we go with a crowd - so book it almost as soon as we get back for the next year.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I tend to ski with Mark Warner as my 9-year old son will be virtually guaranteed to have some company of his own age.
This season I have had 3 holidays with them. The first, at Christmas, I booked two weeks before as we needed childcare. The second I booked 2 days beforehand (45% discount) and the third was booked 6 days beforehand (30% discount).
If you have a large family or have specific requirements it's a bit risky leaving it too late, but if you don't care where you go and can ski with your kids it makes sense to leave it as late as possible.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Big group, nineteen of us, book months in advance - everything else just a week or two before! Mind you, next year we're thinking of booking up all our flights on bargain bucket airlines well in advance and leaving all the other arrangements till later....so many companies are going on my "never travel with them again!" list we're going to be moving over to DIY for most of our trips anyway.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Next february is booked up already but we had to really with 9 in the group and we all want the same flights, hotel etc. Plus, there are some good offers this year. If its just me and Mr T, I'm happy to leave it until the last minute.

The problem with skiing is that most hotels are quite small (mainly Austria) and the operators only tend to offer a handful of rooms in each place.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I book when I've paid off the bills from the previous season, which normally means starting the process in August.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I book the flights between september and november and the accommodation in December for a January arrival.
ski holidays
One of the advantages of being a single traveller is that I can leave things to the last possible minute and usualy manage to get the booking I want.
Also by leaving it that late you can often ditch any single supplements with a bit of persuasion.
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, snap.
snow report
Last year my friends booked with Inghams for a week in Murren from the first edition brochure as you are always told to book early to save money.. I checked the price when the second edition came out and guess what....Inghams had reduced the price per person by £40..

Very kindly Inghams refunded the difference but its not always the case booking early saves you money !!
latest report
Chris Brookes, Inghams always promise to refund the difference if the "official" price is lower than the "earlybird" one. I've booked with them 3 times now from the earlybird brochure & always got about 40 quid off when the first edition brochure is published.

We usually book our first ski trip months in advance (already booked for Christmas) & do the second one as a late deal. Latest ever booking was book-Tuesday-go-Saturday to Val Thorens last year.
latest report
We've already booked for next year (Alp d'Huez at Easter) to get the free and discounted child places and the accomodation we want. Why though when trying to fly from regional airports do we get told that there is no flights available. We were told that all the flights to Switzerland were booked up for Easter! something that I find difficult to believe Confused
snow report
DAVID F wrote:
We've already booked for next year (Alp d'Huez at Easter) to get the free and discounted child places and the accomodation we want. Why though when trying to fly from regional airports do we get told that there is no flights available. We were told that all the flights to Switzerland were booked up for Easter! something that I find difficult to believe Confused

You mean charter places or commercial? I didn't think the commercial carriers had even opened flights or confirmed routes at this time.
ski holidays
ise
Charters, it might have something to do with allocation of flights/seats, but you just get met with blank stares when you ask why.
Still working up to booking it all independently in Europe, getting there though.
latest report
DAVID F wrote:
ise
Charters, it might have something to do with allocation of flights/seats, but you just get met with blank stares when you ask why.
Still working up to booking it all independently in Europe, getting there though.

plenty of people here could help you there, even to the point of renting accomodation. I don't think any of us have airlines though Toofy Grin
ski holidays
As your in Aberdeen im guessing you tried to fly out from there- very limited charter flights in Winter! Even worse from Inverness!
Talking of regional .....

If anyone lives near Sheffield, Thomson have just bought "Robin Hood" airport ( did you really have to call it that?) So expect lots more charter flights out of there, and the new Thomson FLy ( low cost version of Britannia) will operate out of there too
not til Summer 05 though Sad

Doesnt matter when I book- i still get a discount Razz
snow report
Nadenoodlee wrote:

If anyone lives near Sheffield, Thomson have just bought "Robin Hood" airport

Erm.....It's in Coventry Wink
snow conditions
Ski Bunny wrote:
Nadenoodlee wrote:

If anyone lives near Sheffield, Thomson have just bought "Robin Hood" airport

Erm.....It's in Coventry Wink

No it's not, it's on the outskirts of Doncaster. It used to be RAF Finningly. Nadenoodlee's right too, it's a stupid name - even if the mythical figure is supposed to have lived near Doncaster (according to one of the many stories).
latest report
Erm ... isn't it in Doncaster actually ?
snow report
Surely if any airport is to get the name, "Robin Hood" it should be East Midlands (now renamed Nottingham East Midlands)?

All I know is that on the way there from Grantham you see at least one sign saying, "Welcome to Robin Hood country". How cheesy is that?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thomson must be flashing the cash then, as they have bought Coventry airport as well
ski holidays
Quote:
Surely if any airport is to get the name, "Robin Hood" it should be East Midlands (now renamed Nottingham East Midlands)?

All I know is that on the way there from Grantham you see at least one sign saying, "Welcome to Robin Hood country". How cheesy is that?

It's all cheese to the tourist office's sandwich. East Midlands should be called Derby (or Leicester), anyway.

Would a regional airport be a stretch of tarmac with attached café by any other name?

Back to booking - book flights early, accommodation & other stuff lateish (can somtimes get a good deal through local tourist office).

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 22-04-04 12:35; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Ski Bunny wrote:
Thomson must be flashing the cash then, as they have bought Coventry airport as well

They bought Coventry airport and built a passenger terminal on it. This then created a big broo-haha over lack of planning permission. The new service from Finningly will be the same as that from Coventry, which suggests they might be a little pessimistic about the planning battle?
latest report
South Yorkshire are currently having a campaign (of sorts) to claim back Robin Hood. Robin was from Loxley, which is in Sheffield, and Little John is buried in Hathersage (just outside Sheffield).

Quite honestly the names of airports should be left to the location where they are based. Manchester moved in the right direction when they changed from Ringway to Manchester international. Doncaster airport should be called Donny Airport!!

Rant over Wink
latest report
Elizabeth B wrote:
South Yorkshire are currently having a campaign (of sorts) to claim back Robin Hood. Robin was from Loxley, which is in Sheffield, and Little John is buried in Hathersage (just outside Sheffield).

According to one legend. Wink

Elizabeth B wrote:
Quite honestly the names of airports should be left to the location where they are based. Manchester moved in the right direction when they changed from Ringway to Manchester international. Doncaster airport should be called Donny Airport!!

Rant over Wink

Agree with you there...though I don't see why Finningly can't remain Finningly.
snow report
Well at work the Releases says theyre calling it Sheffield Robin Hood as no one knows/cares where Doncaster is! (bear in mind Ive had to explain where Birmingham is before) - didnt Postman Pat have to go to Doncaster every now and again?

Coventry is already functionning, operating out of a crappy terminal cos of all the planning permission. Theyre splashing the cash now theyre owned by TUI, 2 new cruise ships have just been bought aswell!

Never know they might buy one in the west country then I wont have so many whingers from Cornwall calling up!

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 22-04-04 12:43; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
skanky wrote:
Agree with you there...though I don't see why Finningly can't remain Finningly.

Quite, I'd no idea where it was until you said it was Finningly.

I've been watching "Airline" on Sky and it's pretty obvious from that that about the punters are going to turn up at the wrong airports with all these daft names.
ski holidays
Well, given these punters turn up on the wrong day without passports, tickets and are totally wasted, I don't see how putting another small obstacle in their path is really going to make much difference...

Muppets, the lot of them!
latest report
Yeah but it makes great viewing! they all think theyre so special- my favourite is when theyre delayed 2 hours on an easyjet flight and go off in a huff to fly with a "proper airline like BA" haha pull the other one!
latest report
masopa wrote:
Well, given these punters turn up on the wrong day without passports, tickets and are totally wasted, I don't see how putting another small obstacle in their path is really going to make much difference...

Muppets, the lot of them!

I find the programme alternately amusing and frustrating. There ought to be some little reward for those people who turn up in good time for the flights with all the documentation Very Happy
snow report
I'm pretty sure the airport name is "Robin Hood Airport Doncaster Sheffield" which is worse, really. It's actually closer to Scunthorpe than Sheffield, the former now having two international airports in close proximation.
snow report
Caught that programme once. Decided I spend enough time waiting around airports as it is.

Luton Airport - first one closed for fog, last to re-open. Never flying to/from Zurich with Easyjet again (they cost more than Swiss & BA most of the time, too).

Geneva they're okay, though one work colleague ended up driving home from there as they lied to him about whether the flight was going to leave or not - said it was when they never had any intention of flying it. When he found out it was going to be cancelled the BA / Swiss flights were full.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy