Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jones Mtn Twin 161W vs Slash Brainstorm 159W

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Yes this is another board buying advice thread Razz

Currently riding a 2011 K2 Slayblade, 159W. It's a bit battered and losing life at the moment. I like it's ability to hold an edge and it's great in powder and hard compact snow. I mainly piste bash, with side country as much as possible and when conditions allow we book a guide for an off piste day.

I've tried a mates skatebanana, I like the buttery feel but overall was a little loose for my liking. Basically I want something between the Slayblade and the skatebanana. I don't do park stuff but like doing kickers around the pistes and off piste.

I'll hopefully be doing a season next year, and with all this in mind I've narrowed down my options to the Slash Brainstorm 159W and Jones Mtn Twin 161W. Slash sounds like a better all rounder and possibly more suited to my level with loads of room for progression. I've found a good deal on the 2015 Jones and the 2016 Slash so looking the buy tomorrow or the next day cause the board will be snapped up at the price.

Thanks in advance! snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Forgot to add I'm 178cm, 80kg, size 10UK
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Go for the slash if you really want that buttery feel and if you're focused on the freestyle/ jibbing. The Jones is more suited to what you described though imv. You've already been riding a slayblade and its by no means a beginner board. I would go for the Jones for a season unless you plan to ride a few boards while you're out there for specific days. Also, the sizing is wrong you should look at 156 -158 regular not wide.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I got a Jones MT 154 at the end of last season and used it for the first time this weekend.

I found it less lively or 'fun' feeling than my old board with less pop and a bit slower edge to edge. However it was also more solid and dependable for holding an edge on hardpack, cutting through choppy heavy wet snow off the sides of the piste and general charging about. Didn't magically feel super-floaty in the fresh snow but it wasn't mega powdery so hard to tell (rain/slush/snow at various levels). I also didn't have it set back much, just one off being centered (think if you use the front holes you centre the stance, according to a review I saw, and I was on the 'recommended' stance lines!)

To be honest, I was expecting a bit more of a 'wow' feeling not just a 'well, I think it feels more sold' feeling! I'm smack bang in the middle of the weight range, 54-77kg (I'm 63).

My old board was a Weekend 155 which I think was actually an amazing board for the price point and has certainly served me well.
http://www.snowboard-review.com/snowboard_reviews/review/heikki_pro/
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The problem with these 'jack of all trades' snowboards is that they are essentially a 'master of none,' which is why its better to have a board for various days. Its not practical for a weeks holiday but for a season I'd definitely have 3 boards with me.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

which is why its better to have a board for various days

Yes 100%. If I ever do a season I shall have a quiver - powder board, charger and a more fun jibby board.

For Europe, and 1 or 2 weeks a year I just couldn't justify having pow specific board.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have a Slash Brainstorm (160), and it's a lovely board. Quick edge to edge, and the mellow camber allows you to carve, but isn't too catchy. It's the 2016 model, drop me a line if you are still looking for a board. (sold w/o bindings).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm looking for a 160 or 157 Slash Brainstorm. I'm 6'1 and 180lb, any ideas which size is better? I currently have an old '10 Sierra Crew camber board. I'm looking for something better in powder but ideally also something more playful that I can progress in the park with.

Thanks.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another way to put it, I'm wondering if I can get away with the 157 and have best of both worlds. I see Brainstorm has 'great' rating for powder and 1.25" possible setback.

I'm solid intermediate, still looking to progress in switch, jumps, trees, moguls in addition to having a board with better float in powder.

~180lb without gear, 10.5 boot, 6'1 height. Pairing with old 158 camber board from 2010.

Thanks!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm with them... three boards would do the job. If you're out for a season, you can pick up gear cheaply when you're there, once you know what you want. I don't bother with park stuff, so a powder plus a piste board work for me.

Sometimes (eg Sleazy Jet) two boards is one too many... then I have to decide where the compromise is. A piste board works ok in resort powder, so if it's a resort trip I'll ride my piste board. Dedicated off piste trips... powder board every time. Fast piste boards are terrible in powder; the converse isn't so clear cut.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy