Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Brides Les Bains

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

hopefully some advice from people on places to eat out in BLB in the evenings .

Do you need to book up in advance ? I understand it is a relatively small town so accept choices will be limited.

I am planning on renting a ski locker and wondered is it best to rent at the gondola at BLB so we can then ski across to the Merible Gondola or get a locker at the Merible gondola and then walk across ?

My other option is to drive up to Merible daily. How long does this take ? Are the roads normally trouble free and what does it cost to park ?

Many thanks Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
we stayed there for one night a few weeks ago - Hotel Le Golf. Fantastic hotel. Were advised not to bother with the BLB gondola, and drive to La Tania (about 20 mins). There parking was free (car park opposite entry to station. Hardly anyone (Saturday) and out of holidays, but no traffic. From there we went up to Courchevel on the La Tania gondola.

Only ate at the restaurant of the hotel in the evening -- but really nice. Would recommend.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Davidoff, it takes about 15-20 mins to meribel as well, there is a large free open car park just before you go past the ice rink, and there used to be free parking on the road to the right hand side as you go through the chaudanne tunnel going towards mottaret, you could park up near a gap to get onto the truite piste, which takes you to the main lifts
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Welcome to Snowheads, @Davidoff, snowHead .

When are you going. 4 weeks from 6 February will be French school holidays so if you stay falls into that period you can expect more traffic and a lot more pressure on parking - probably best to get there early in the morning to be sure of a space.

The roads are normally OK because Meribel is low. BUT when there's any amount of fresh snow you might need chains, especially if you don't have winter tyres. If it's very bad you might not be allowed to drive up without them.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the prompt replies all.

I am going on Feb 13th so will catch the French holidays and UK half term. I think that alone has made up my mind to use the Gondola from BLB. Sitting for 20 mins as opposed to driving for 15 and possibly needing to get snow chains out and fighting for parking does not appeal.

Now I just need to decide where to rent a locker , BLB or Merible ??

@CharlieL Can non residents use the restaurant at Hotel Le Golf ??

Thanks for the advice guys... Cool Cool
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Davidoff, yes non residents can use the restaurant at Hotel le Golf. Couple of nice pizzerias in town too. Probably best to reserve in half term week. Brides is increasingly popular.

Very little free parking left in Meribel nowadays. And even less available the week you're coming! The parking just after the tunnel going up to Mottaret is now pay and display and the large free car park before the ice rink is having apartments built on it! The underground car park I the Chaudanne is more than 10€!a day. Again it fills up very quickly during half term.
I use the gondola in bad weather simply to avoid the idiots on the roads and because it's simply less stressful. You can watch people having breakfast in their chalets on the way up and then watch them in the hot tubs on the way down!
I would rent the lockers in BLB under the gondola. Most people we know who have stayed in Brides have done this.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Forgot to say that the hotel Altis has a good restaurant called the Val Vert. You'll definitely need to book but it's been getting some good review since their renovation and a new chef.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the info @steph local knowledge is priceless.

That is my Locker decision made for me too now.

I will try and search on-line for a booking facility for the Brides lockers . I found one for Merible but not Brides so far.

I can also look for the restaurants with the info you gave and try and book them too.

Thanks again Dave... Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Davidoff, last time I booked lockers at Brides I did it through SkiSet the hire shop under the telecabine. Not always obvious but I'm pretty sure the lockers belong to M Favre who has the SkiSet shop and not the telecabine.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The little restaurant at the Petite Auberge used to be good but the couple that managed it have moved on and I've not been to BLB for a few years.

I would recommend the BLB gondola rather than the drive, takes about the same time and completely stress free. If you ski down gelinotte at the end of the day there is a way through to the top of the gondola to avoid the walk.

Don't be tempted to ski down to Le Raffort at the end of the day if you are late as you may have to wait a while for an space on the gondola. Not a problem if you have an early end.

Where are you staying?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi , again thanks for the advice .

We are staying in the Mercure hotel . I agree that stress free on the gondola is the way to go for us . Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Is that the old Hotel de Grand Thermes (big white one) in which case that's where we usually stay, good secure parking, all you can eat breakfast and nice rooms especially since they've upgraded them, 5 minute walk to the gondola
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yes that is the one. First time in BLB so hopefully will be a good week, I have read some mixed reviews but that is always the case. Some people complained as a lot of the staff spoke --- wait for it --- French !!!!!! How strange French people speaking French in France , whatever next !!!!

Lots of people are saying the rooms are nice since renovation and we have in theory a superior room so fingers crossed it will be good. We have B&B so hopefully breakfast will be fine and hence the request for info on eating out in the evening. I understand we can request to eat in the hotel if we wanted but we enjoy experiencing different bars and restaurants so plan to wander around a bit in the evening.

I believe the parking is underground if my memory is correct and a 5 min walk to the gondola is ideal. Smile Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes parking is underground and you use your key card to get in to it, there's a funny little pizza place if you walk out of the hotel and turn left, only got about 5/6 tables so always seems busy and everyone is friendly.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Update on parking in Meribel. There is still some free parking at Les Ravines but greatly reduced and this will be the last season before apartments are built on that parking area.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy