Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best skis for a returning skiier?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, I have not been on skis since 2006 having spent the last 10 on a board. Now looking at doing a bit of skiing with a school group I'm taking to Austria. Thing is I have no idea about todays tech. I used to have a pair of Fischer RC4 supercarves at 183cms back in 2006 but I appreciate time moves on. To be honest I'm not looking to spend a fortune, just need something for on piste cruising but with the option to enjoy a stable ride at some decent speeds. I know it looks like one of those " what skis should I buy" threads but I would really appreciate some thoughts on this. I'm 6f1 and about 16 stone... Any advice very gratefully received, thanks in advance.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 1-02-16 15:39; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PS I have a pair of Nordica boots from 2003 that were heat moulded at the time, tried them on for a little trundle at the dry slope, still feel comfortable. I'm thinking that boot technology has moved on a long way as well. Are new ones necessary or will I get away with a comfy classic
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
huwphill7 wrote:
Hi all, I have not been on skis since 2006 having spent the last 10 on a

Did you dump the Fichers? Otherwise great ski for the piste.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I sold them a few years ago but yes I agree they were really great skis, they were from 1999 so pretty classic by now...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Keep your boots. Wouldn't you be better hiring skis for the week?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I think boot tech has mainly improved the means of fitting/ getting comfortable. I ran a pair of boots about 5 years older than yours before they died. The new ones are a similar flex. They are good, a bit lighter and easier to fit with heat moulding etc but don't feel much different to ski, the main difference is that the old liners were shot and getting uncomfortable.

If yours fit and are still comfortable then don't throw them until they are truly dead.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Best skis for a returning skier? Twin tips Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For your size and for stability on piste I'd recommend Head Titans in 177cm. I'm about the same size as you and I love mine.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks I will check them out
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy