Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Did you see a TV advert for the Ski Club of GB?

Poster: A snowHead
It's reported on the Ski Club's forum today that a TV ad for the Ski Club ran on Eurosport today.

Did you see it? What did it say? What was your impression?

Apparently there's been a big video ad at Euston Station for the Club too. Don't know if this is the same production. Have you seen this?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It was very slick, showed people skiing down slopes and off cliffs that about 00.01% of skiers could manage. It finished with the SCGB e-mail address so i assume the purpose of the ad was to make people visit the SCGB site.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
NO!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
YES!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
So, that's about 0.01% of all known Snowheads that saw it - or roughly the same proportion of all known recreational skiers required to (self) qualify themselves as the representative body... or something... Puzzled
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You only gave us 2.467899 hours !
And you're talking about chat room users with nothing netter to do on a saturday night .
It's the people who aren't here - or in the Alps , Dolomites etc - that the ad is aimed at !
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
...maybe we should make a snowHeads ad...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ian Hopkinson, what would you have on it?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
people ski-ing and snowboarding, a blue furry lady
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
eh?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Elizabeth B, well, I know masque would like a blue furry lady...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Be interested to know the return on the ad cost verses new members generated
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
yup, I saw it
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I saw it too. The only thing I thought was, "I bet this cost shedloads of money. No wonder their holidays are so expensive" rolling eyes .
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I don't know who made the ad, maggi, or what it cost (the latter being a matter for Club members internally) but maybe that will be disclosed to Club members in due course.

I'm mainly concerned with the impact and membership generation of the ad, in relation to its cost. Obviously I very much hope it's a success.

Any comment on the effectiveness of the ad is very valuable to the Club, I should think.
ski holidays
I never saw the ad but I would think that it could never give a VFM return on investment. The SCGB should use the major power it has which is that it has reps in a lot of resorts. Whether they are good or bad is not the issue but networking and drumming up membership should be a part of their role.
ski holidays
snowHeads has found the internet a very useful medium for increasing membership wink
ski holidays
Michael B, interesting, you didn't see it, you don't know the cost, yet you make the leap and say it won't give VFM. I didn't see it, I don't know the cost, yet I'm making the leap to say it will give VFM. Smile
snow report
Tim Brown, I never said it wouldn't I said I didn't think it would. As IMO. My opinion is based on some knowledge of the costs of advertising on TV, even on obscure channels at off peak times. The actual cost of producing the ad in the first place would be high. The membership increase to recoupe those costs will be very significant.
Having said that VFM can be measured in other ways. If it is an awareness ad then you don't need to recoupe the costs. If the sole aim is to get people to visit the site then it may be successful. But one would have to wonder why it was required. I guess without knowing the purpose of the ad it is impossible to give an objective view. Which is why I only gave an opinion.
snow report
Just found this in the Ski Club Forum, from the Marketing Manager there:

Just to clarify the position on the advertising. We produced a "corporate" advert the year of the centenary and this was used as a prefix to the Warren Smith and Warren Miller movies in that year.

We updated it this year through Black Diamond Film Productions who we work very closely with.

At the London ski show we met with Eurosport at an evening function and we started to discuss the possibility of putting the snow reports onto Eurosport. A few meetings later they agreed to swop snow reports for airtime.

We are clearly delighted with the relationship with Eurosport.

As for the Train Stations. Maiden Outdoor who own the screens need editorial around which to sell advertorial. Once again, we provide the snow report feeds on a daily basis and we were due to get a logo alongside the reports. However, in the most recent meeting we mentioned we had a new advert and they asked to see it.... and asked if they could show it!

The exposure we have received on Eurosport and in the train stations have both gone beyond our expectations.

There is not a huge amount of money in the ski industry and so we work hard to build relationships with 3rd parties to maximise our exposure to all of our audiences, and we do this without the "corporate" budgets that some companies have access too. "Barter" deals like this make it all worthwhile.

It was a team effort.... we hope you are pleased with the result.
snow conditions
ferris, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

Just so I'm clear - you are quoting the Marketing Manager from the Ski Club forum, you're not the Marketing Manager?
snow conditions
[NB the posting below was being written while the above exchange was in progress]

The Ski Club's marketing manager Fiona Sweetman has made the following points on the Club's forum this morning:

- The TV advert is based on one which was made in 2003 to go with nationally-screened ski movies (Warren Miller, Warren Smith) that year. It was updated by Black Diamond Productions this year.

- The screening of the ad, by Eurosport and Maiden Outdoor (who operate the big screen where the ad has been spotted at London Euston) is based on "swop" or "barter" deals with these companies, who receive snow reports or editorial from the Club.

Those are the key points. Obviously Fiona's welcome to elaborate, as desired. She's not said that the space or airtime has come free, though that could well be interpreted from the above. As for the ad's production cost and results - the former is something Club HQ may prefer not to disclose, for reasons of commercial confidentiality. The recruitment that results may, of course, be reflected in a membership analysis, if new members are asked how they know of the Club.

The Club's looking at screening the ad on the website.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 17-01-06 14:22; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Sorry ... I genuinely posted the above while ferris and Ian Hopkinson were posting! This is so embarrassing.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 17-01-06 13:56; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
David, it serves to make everything very clear!
snow report
Well, only that the attractive and intelligent Fiona Sweetman

is the marketing manager.

Who ferris is, is anyone's guess!

One clue could be that the word is only used (in my experience) as an adjective with 'wheel'. What could this mean?
ski holidays
I'm just a big Ferris Bueller fan and a bemused Ski Club member (not the Marketing Manager!). Off to work now.
latest report
What kind of fan - electric or manual?
snow conditions
Never saw it. Looks good.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes and I'm sure I've seen it several times now.

Edit and now having read the rest of the thread I'd clearly seen it before on the Warren Miller film.
latest report
Ferris Bueller's Day Off? Puzzled wink
ski holidays
Nick Zotov, film from the 1980's
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy