Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hike to ride bindings.

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys

Wanting a bit of advice please.

Looking at some new bindings.

Would do about 90% of my skiing with lift assistance I.e off piste but not much touring, but last few trips have done lots more hiking from lifts and would like to think might get into some slacker touring in the future.

With this in mind am looking at 3 hike to ride bindings which seem to offer good downhill performance as don't currently do enough, Nore do I think I will, to go the full touring binding route.

Looking at salomon guardian mnc 16, Diamir Fritschi freeride pro and marker duke 16.

All are broadly similar price so not much to choose there.

The Fritschi are the lightest so good when carrying on pack.

Have always had salomon bindings and guardians seem well built so tempted by then but would welcome input from anyone who has used any of the above. How have they lasted, any durability issues (fritschi seem to have a few bad reps).
Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have had the Guardians which were too heavy IMO although really well made and would have lasted forever probably, I also have duke's which are holding up well after a few years and they have had some abuse, have tried Fritschi's and didn't like them, what about the tour f12's, also a worthy consideration depending on what you are doing and better than Fritschi's possibly about the same weight
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
F10 Tour, F12 Tour & F12 EPF (which are basically the same binding) have the best combination of performance/weight/durability/price.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Redbound, I used to ski Duke 16's however they are really heavy, my wife skis F10's and they are great, I'm sure the F12's are equally good and would do you well. Suggest you also consider Dynafit Beast 16's onto your list, I ski them now for last 2 seasons, much lighter than Dukes, well engineered and they are rock solid.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have a set of new (unused spare) 2016 Guardians 16 MNC for sale size large if you are interested. They are the Black Yellow version as shown in this link

https://www.freezeproshop.com/salomon-guardian-16-mnc-touring-ski-bindings-1/colour:71128/size:71131?country=GB&currency=GBP&utm_source=GoogleShopping&gclid=CO_X2a7x0coCFSX4wgod7XAGMg

£135 + Postage

Great bindings completely bomb proof and easy to use. Have used guardians on my last 3 sets of skis, totally trust them everywhere across the mountain from piste to powder and regular 2-3 hour skins. They are a bit heavier than Fritschis but the way they work and the fact you can free the heel without taking the ski off is a winner for me.

I also own Dukes and have skied Fritschi Freerides, I don't rate the Freerides at all very sloppy and don't engage the toe very well. Dukes are good but both myself and my mate had heel piece pre release issues hence the switch to Guardians.

PM me if interested
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've got the Guardians and rate them highly, yes, they're a tad heavier than the Markers, but bomb-proof on and off piste, £135 is a great price too Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've got the Guardians / Atomic Trackers on both my mid and fat skis, absolutely love them and never had an issue. OK, they are a little heavy but I've still made 800m vert in under 2 hrs in them. But on the way down you would not guess that you are not in an alpine binding, they are rock solid. Damn cheap too if you get them in the sales. £135 is a very good deal Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Get whatever you can find cheapest from Guardian/Tracker and Baron/Tour.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've supplied numerous replacement front/toe base plates for Guardians to replace cracked ones & I don't (won't) even sell that binding rolling eyes

Just sayin'
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks guys, hadn't looked at the tours so will check them out.

Thanks for the offer on the Guardians, think the large is too big sadly, I am a 300 boot so pretty sure I need the small annoyingly because that would have swung it for me I reckon.

Am not weight critical at this stage to be honest, most of my skiing is lift assisted but am more conscious now having put skis on packs to hike in Niseko recently which was the first time I had done much of that.

Just don't want to sacrifice downhill which looking at tours and guardians I won't be doing.

P.s does anyone know if other than colour scheme there is any difference between 14/15 and 15/16 tour 12's as have seem some from last year in sale?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@spyderjon, Everything I have heard about that problem has been to do with people clicking back in with ice/crud build up under the plate after skinning which puts an upward pressure on the front. Yes, it is a design problem, but if you check before clicking down it doesn't seem to happen. I'm a few years in now and have never seen a problem either with myself or with friends who have the same binding.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Redbound, You can pick up smalls new at approx £180
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Scarpa, Guardians or Tours for £180, I can't find any guardian 16's for that?

Have managed to find a set of new but last season tour 12's at a decent price hence question on any changes except colour.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This is the same binding:
http://www.sport-conrad.com/ski-alpin/bindungen/tourenbindungen/tracker-16-inkl-stopper.html
Just bought my latest skis from them, you may need to check postage, it was free to me in France......
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ekosport have got this seasons tourF12 EPF for £217

http://www.ekosport.co.uk/marker-f12-tour-epf-black-anthracite-flo-yellow-16-marker-stop-ski-royal-family-tour-120mm-16-p-M00020081.html?CatalogID=N1&CategoryName=N1015

Make sure you get the EPF as that has a wider platform for fat skis.
latest report
And don't forget to buy skins Toofy Grin

And the right size, don't be tempted to go a tad narrow as KenX will attest to !

And seems like they have really come down in price, Black Diamonds for circa €100 !!
ski holidays
Scarpa wrote:
@spyderjon, Everything I have heard about that problem has been to do with people clicking back in with ice/crud build up under the plate after skinning which puts an upward pressure on the front. Yes, it is a design problem, but if you check before clicking down it doesn't seem to happen. I'm a few years in now and have never seen a problem either with myself or with friends who have the same binding.

The last bracket I supplied a couple of weeks ago was for a new binding that had only done a few hours at Xscape.
snow report
interpaul wrote:
Ekosport have got this seasons tourF12 EPF for £217

http://www.ekosport.co.uk/marker-f12-tour-epf-black-anthracite-flo-yellow-16-marker-stop-ski-royal-family-tour-120mm-16-p-M00020081.html?CatalogID=N1&CategoryName=N1015

Make sure you get the EPF as that has a wider platform for fat skis.

The wider EPF frame makes absolutely no difference.

You could buy in the UK were the price (£199) includes conventional mounting. EU discount stores aren't always cheaper!
http://www.thepisteoffice.com/index.php/the-piste-office-store/alpine-touring-bindings/marker-bindings/marker-tour/marker-tour-f12-epf-small-detail.html
ski holidays
Quote:

The last bracket I supplied a couple of weeks ago was for a new binding that had only done a few hours at Xscape.

Some people are cack handed oafs and will break whatever you give them
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy