Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ABS or Ortovox ABS conundrum?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've got a ABS Vario 18L and have decided in last couple of weeks I should likely upgrade to a slightly larger sack for day tours in which I can more readily get my skins/ crampons which in my 18L Vario at the moment is a tight squeeze. I've also realised that I should have bought a size L rather than size S. My wife is happy to take my Vario 18L on and size S fits here better. We can then sell her ABS Powder S and get me a new larger bag, so here's the thing.......

The current range of ABS zip-ons look pretty uninspiring (weird colours), yet the Mammuts (Snowpulse system, prefer ABS) and the Ortovox Freeride 26 are still looking good, but I want to stay with my Carbon ABS canister, so do I go Ortoxox 26L (is it bulky, heavy for lift use without having to take off, is it big enough for my needs?), definitely don't need 32L, too big and bulky. Or do I wait until next season and hope ABS sort out some decent colours?

Tried on the Jetforce Pieps/ POC/ BD new bags last weekend in St Anton and am not convinced, so want ABS.......which one should I go for? Is Ortovox 26L going to be big enough, and anyone interested in buying a lightly used 3 year old ABS Powder size S in black/ blue trim with 15L and 10L sacks.......with either carbon or steel canister (when I order from Germany I can order either for whoever wants to buy the Powder....) Puzzled
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Back packs are on your back so it doesnt matter what colour it is as you wont be seeing it. If you are concerned about co ordinating your kit ?? ... well, mmmm .....
Buy the one that fits, is big enough to put the stuff in that only you know you will be putting in ..... and one that works ....... and go skiing

Toofy Grin ( a totally unhelpful reply / comment )
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@limegreen1, Agreed, thought this might attract pelters....I want black, hardly a fashion statement......ABS don't do black currently, just some insipid pastel colours......don't get me wrong its the ABS function I'm after (have had their bags for last 10 years) not the colour but I don't want a naff looking thing either wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Markymark29, I have had an ABS Vario for 5-6 years now. I first bought the ABS zip-on packs in 15ltr and 25ltr (due to a discount when buying the main pack), which were poorly designed and bizarrely had the hydration pocket was on the outside of the pack to putting the weight as far as possible from your back, and making it liable to freeze. They were obviously designed by someone who did not ski/board.

I replaced them with the Dakine Vario covers, and now have the 15ltr, 25ltr and 40ltr. They are a much better design, and have the Dakine quality. These packs can typically be picked up at a discount and in various colours (Black, Blue, Orange etc).

I use the 40ltr for touring, as it room for everything I might need (without ramming everything), it also has excellent compression straps, and I believe the best A-Frame ski carry, which will take skis of 125mm. You can also buy a non-ABS back panel, allowing you to use it as a normal backpack. I use the 40ltr to carry my ski boots as carry-on when flying.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@PowderAdict, Cheers, good shout, will take a look. I have to say the ABS covers aren't particularly great regards features are they?!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Markymark29, Agreed. Most of the ABS zip-ons seem to be designed for the purist touring market, where minimal weight is more important than robust build and features. Maybe if you are going on a 5 day hut-to-hut tour, every gram counts, but the majority use their ABS for free-riding or day/overnight tours.

For example if you check out wildsnow.com, their first reaction to any new pack, is to take a razor blade and cut off all the extra straps and internal dividers, to leave a single big bag.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I just got an Ortovox Freerider 26.

It's an awesome bag for sure, my only compliant is that after storing avvie kit the pack becomes quite wide, so needs to be taken off on every chair lift. The back protector is pretty solid as well!

Ps - £427 from Sport Bittel including steel canister!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@haigie, The lift thing is a concern I have with the Ortovox they do go bulky when loaded up, I want to keep it on when on lifts, thinking maybe sticking with ABS and zip on 24L if i can find one.Thanks for your feedback.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Plenty of other manufacturer's ABS Zip-on rucksacks to consider. I like the look of the Osprey Kode 22 + 10 with it's compression straps.

https://www.abs-airbag.com/en/compatible-partners.html

http://www.sportokay.com/at_de/osprey-kode-abs-22-10-airbagrucksack.html?gclid=CjwKEAiA27G1BRCEopST9M39gykSJADQyqAlYCXZATdPyCMDyp56rFi_YwSXu3_rk2W0iRNM_Ou0ahoC8xHw_wcB
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Not too sure if the OP's already made his mind up or not seeing as he's selling his current pack but as someone who was wondering about upgrading from a 15year old (heavy, vaude era abs) to a vario or an ortovox a couple of thoughts.
The ortovox stuff size for size is heavier but construction seems bomb proof. My concern is ideally I'd like a hike and ride pack and a larger pack that shares the same ABS cylinder/mechanism etc. While on paper the ortovox is exactly that, I've been unable to find anyone selling the ortovox abs packs without the MASS units (except strangely enough in the women's shorter version and more girly colours). I do wonder if ortovox are stopping these packs as most places seem to be doing reasonable discounts Puzzled
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@betterinblack, try here

http://shop.snowshepherd.co.uk/epages/es122028.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es122028/Products/46733/SubProducts/46733-0001

then select pack only from drop down
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks could have sworn I'd looked there, maybe I'd just looked at the 26 and saw it was Out of stock.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@betterinblack, not sure what to go for yet, want to sell my ABS first, Ortovox are a bit bulky I think, likely will go ABS.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just to say for five years I rode / toured with ABS zip on vario packs - had the light weight 20lt think it was etc and a larger 30lt

Last season I used the Scott Alpride as well, so much so that I stopped using the ABS and this season have gone for a Scott 30lt.

I've probably done around 12 tours with it so far and various other off piste excursions.

The plus points to me are the various design details which simply put makes the pack ideal to use in various scenarios.

Last Sat for instance we arrived at a ridge then had to boot pack to the summit, with the Scott they have a super fast easy ski (cable) carrying system.

The external belt pocket is great for stashing food bars and then the two internal packs have loads of room with the main pack folding right out giving easy access to gear - so so much better when touring etc when you might be going into your pack three or four times (depending on how many breaks you have).

There is also no hassle with the firing system when travelling.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy