Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pretty resort at Easter for a beginner

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Afternoon all,

I'm struggling here and wondered if the great snowHeads could help me.

I'm looking to book a trip for Easter this year with my wife. She's a complete beginner and doesn't want to go to a resort that is pure skiing, she wants other stuff to do as well, skidoo's maybe, dog sleds, basically anything that's not just skiing. I'd also like to go to a nice looking place too, somewhere with a typical Alpine feel rather than a concrete jungle. My first thought was Scandinavia, this seems to fit the bill but a lot of companies stop going there in mid-February, we need to go late March.

So, can you suggest a resort that fits the following criteria:
Other stuff to do that's not all skiing
Pretty and not concrete
High or at least with a good chance of snow in March/April
Ski in/ski out would be good if possible
She wants to stay in a "wood cabin", this may not be possible but it gives you an idea of what she has in her mind

I want to get this right, if I do, there's a chance she'll want to go every year, if I don't I'm back to solo trips again!

Thanks all.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hemsedal in Norway has skiing until the first weekend in May - we were there in May last year and there were some amazing conditions.

You can do non-ski activities like dog-sledding, "fatbiking" (i.e. mountain bikes with winter tyres), snowmobiling, lots of cross-country skiing etc. We stayed in the Hemsetunet apartments which were very wooden-hut (they're not ski-in, ski-out, though that is available), and they all had their own sauna.

Driving from Oslo to Hemsedal gave some of the most impressive scenery I've ever seen, so lots of lovely things to look at within a relatively short drive I would say.

The resort itself seemed very suited to beginners, albeit I don't know too much about the ski schools there, though presumably they would speak English. In fact, some of the people we went with last year had only had lessons in fridges until visiting Hemsedal, and they were able to progress quite well over the course of a weekend.

The town is quite small, but it sounds like that might be sort of what you're looking for.

A word of warning - alcohol costs a lot(!!!!!) in Norway...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm wondering if Saas Fee might do the trick. It's 10 or 15 years since I was there, and that was for glacier skiing in the summer, but I seem to remember it filled quite a few of your criteria.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
hemsedal sounds a good suggestion. Somewhere really different. A proper sense of going somewhere, especially driving from Oslo. Norwegian Air does good cheap flights.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Maybe take a look at what Lech am Arlberg offers? Good skiing for you and your beginner wife, some of the accommodation is ski-in ski-out, very pretty, snow sure, quaint alpine feel, activities off the slopes, hotels with spa facilities etc
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sounds like you need to look out for an Austrian (or Tirol) resort with a glacier. Plenty to choose from. Then find the accommodation to suit your style and budget
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
hemsedal sounds a good suggestion. Somewhere really different. A proper sense of going somewhere, especially driving from Oslo. Norwegian Air does good cheap flights.

Another thing it has going for it is that it's not really high up, although it still has a really good snow record because it's so far North of course. When you're a beginner, I find there's something really scary about being at the "top of a mountain". Hemsedal has some fantastic skiing, but you never feel like you're on the top of some Alpine ridge, more like on a really really really big hill!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Saas Fee, Lech and Norway have one other thing in common. All bloody expensive - even relatively.... Shocked
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Norway need not be expensive if you self cater, except for those who can't cope without large quantities of alcohol. wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We are going to Geilo for Easter.

Got cheap flights to Oslo. Got cheap car hire. 185 EUR for 5 days, opel zafira.

and OK, this part not fair. Free lodging ski in/out - BIL company has a place there - but nevertheless - yeah-me.

And the food, self catering does it cheaper, but even self catering, supermarket food is a good 20% more.

We will self cater, and even though we are flying, I will still make a menu plan, make a list, otherwise we just needlessly spend money
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy