Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which touring bindings

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Having rented touring skis the last few years for a day or two's skinning I think it is time to get my own bindings fitted,

(prefer my own skis and no point in busting a gut climbing to some untracked powder to ski down on rubbish rentals )

I've used the Diamir type but I'm always paranoid about the rear clamp releasing in alpine mode.

The Marker F12 type seemed better in that they are unable to release without removing the ski and seem slightly closer boot to ski. (heavier option ?)

Or the king pin / dynafit type. Never used these but people with them always rave about how great they are ! Do they release from ski as well ? + needing to change boots which pushes cost up significantly.

Swaying towards the Markers but happy to be persuaded other wise . Will need to fit them to my current skis which have marker bindings on now, although I don't imagine holes will be same I assume it is possible to fit them ?

Any advice appreciated .Dave. Smile

snowHead snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have a look at http://www.alpine-guides.com/skiing/advice/ski-touring-equipment-advice.htm

Personally I run pin bindings on a 'light' setup, but for more piste oriented skiing where control/speed/forces are higher I use Marker Dukes which feel as strong as a tank.
The pin bindings are on a ski that has previously had Fritschi Freeride Plus bindings on, so have been redrilled without any issue.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have f12s on my "piste" skis mainly so I can use at or alpine boots with them. They ski like downhill bindings, my only comment would be they have a high forward pressure. If you are at all serious about touring then pin bindings are the way to go.
I did a review of the f12s here,
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2631940&highlight=f12#2631940
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@scarbski, will you be buying skins as well Toofy Grin

Just that on Tuesday came across two separate people with touring skis and boots, and neither of them had bought skins rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have dukes and beast 14, no contest now. BEASTS are the way to go for everything.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Stephen59, Agreed, I went from Barons to Plum Guides, then Dynafit Radical ST, and now Beast 16. There really is no comparison in terms of touring function. Although the Beasts aren't that much lighter than the Barons (compared to the Guides), you really notice the difference.

With the Guides and Radicals I was always aware I was on Tech Pin bindings, on anything but soft snow, but with the Beasts you are not.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Unless this is going to be a touring only setup get the Markers - Go for the FT 10's unless you really require din 9 or higher, they are lighter.

I tour about 40% of days and used to ski everything on pins, I still do a fair bit - but now unless a ski is going to be only for touring I've reverted to FT10's or alpine binders - much more flexible option in terms of boots and sharing skis.

Compared to a Fritschi I do miss the flick of a pole to change modes and the higher heal lift, but unlike the Frischi they ARE and alpine binder that tours, not a touring binding that happens to accept alpine boots, and then slops and flops all over the place regardless of how it's set up.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Weathercam wrote:
@scarbski, will you be buying skins as well Toofy Grin

rolling eyes

Yes, skins aswell , trouble is if I get skins cut for my current, fairly well shagged Movement skis they wont be right for new skis (maybe next yr)

I cant really run to new skis/skins and bindings (and boots) if I go for pin bindings !

I'm aiming for just one ski to do the lot, the movement source fits the bill well being light, 95mm underfoot and edge ok on piste.

Thanks for feedback folks, I shall start my homework.. just booked for 6th Feb so finger out needed Smile
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have Diamir Eagles on my 90mm underfoot skis and Marker F10s on my 112mm underfoot Preachers

I've used the Eagles for years for all my skiing before I got the Preacher/M10s and never had or heard of the Diamirs inadvertently getting into walk mode (is this what you mean about the rear clamp releasing?)

The only problem I've found with the Markers is the mechanism gets iced up sometimes making it a big faff to switch from uphill to downhill mode, also the angle adjustment form changing gradient uphill is not quite as easy.

The Markers feel a bit more solid downhill but I've never had problems with the Diamirs releasing when they shouldn't, or not releasing when they should.

Neither my alpine or touring boots have pin sockets so I've not considered Dynafit; they are lighter but I've heard they don't release quite as well as Diamir or Marker (I'm happy to be corrected on this). I've never really understood the stack height argument when racers are always looking for ways to INCREASE the stack height without falling foul of the regs.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@On the rocks, the heel release to walk mode was worked around by the time the Eagle was made, afaik. Earlier diamirs had much less overlap of the plastic which holds the plate down at the back.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
[quote="On the rocks"]
never had or heard of the Diamirs inadvertently getting into walk mode (is this what you mean about the rear clamp releasing?)

quote]

Not happened to me but always feel the rear clamp 'could' get released, and have spotted a member of our party with a released clamp and saved them an embarrassing face plant.

I haven't used enough of either type to really form an opinion..

BUT I have talked with 'The Piste Office' ski shop and he recommended the Marker F12 Epf. So popping skis over this weekend to have them fitted.

I shall however remember all your advice when I'm trying to prise iced bindings open Wink

Thanks folks.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
http://www.thepisteoffice.com/index.php/the-piste-office-store/alpine-touring-bindings/touring-binding-de-icing-tool.html
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Have Beast 16s and now Dynafit Radical 2.0 FTs QuiverKillered to 3 different pairs of skis so able to swap round bindings between skis.

Last two years skied exclusively on Beasts and they are (and look and feel) bombproof but heavy. Also niggly toe piece exit - replacement toe pieces supplied under warranty by Dynafit but still awkward and fiddly.

This season I've had a light setup available (choice of FTs or Beasts) and I have used the Beasts for only one day out of 18. I started with a low confidence level in the ability of the FTs to make me feel as secure as the Beasts but the FTs have surpassed my expectations so packing last night for an 8 day trip had me leaving the Beasts behind...

FTs have been skied and skinned in a wide range of conditions and I'm happy as Larry in them. The Beasts will be permanently mounted on some all-mountain skis for "occasional touring".

If you go for tech bindings, then you can go light: FTs 17, Beasts 1 but I love them still 😀
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
l have Look HM12's (rebranded Radical 2 FT), mounted on a pair of Soul 7's.

So far this season they've been used for 6 day's of piste skiing in the Dolomites with no problems. Returned on Monday from 7 days skiing in Grand Massif, including 5 days great off piste.
Have to agree with Grinning, the binding exceeded expectations!

My first tech binding but gave the confidence to blast down the piste of the Sasslong to great powder of Gers to bumps of Corbalanche.
New to skinning this year, but two afternoons proved how good the bindings are for touring.

Not really an issue but there was the occasional icing of the toe piece, though sorted with Spyderjon's de-icing tool.

Initially a little nervous about using tech bindings on piste... not any more.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm on the Radical 2.0 ST, and spent a week doing nothing but downhill skiing on them (due to group i was with) - all conditions on and offpiste inc. Heavy crud, icy, thin, fast skiing on freshly groomed slopes, deep fresh snow offpiste etc. Some seriously hard skiing in there, and not once did i have any issues with them, or wish i was back on my old Markers (Squire). Very impressed. That was on 2 different pairs of skis, both quiverkillered.

I've been touring on them too, and also great!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy