Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow sure high pistes for Easter 2016

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, We are looking to drive to France for Easter ski holiday with 2 kids in tow, 9 and 6 years. Looking for a resort which is relatively easy to drive to, with high pistes to avoid afternoon slush. It doesn't have to be a big ski area as we are quite happy doing the same pistes a few times and need to stay close to ski school, the main thing is to avoid slush. we are looking for S/C. I am happy with catching the lift back to resort at end of day so doesn't need to be ski /out. Just the high pistes really. I keep seeing Val Thorens and Les Arcs being mentioned . . are they the best bet being so high? I am happy to leave it until early March to book, but want to have a short list to keep an eye out for accommodation and of course make sure ski school is booked. Any suggestions gratefully received. Thanks.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have a look at Les Deux Alpes. We have skied twice before at Easter and are going back again this year. The lower slopes can be a bit poor but it is a glacier resort and has plenty to offer up higher.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Anywhere with a glacier i.e. L2A, Tignes.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Val d'Isere, Tignes, Les Arcs, La Plagne, Val Thorens, Alpe d'Huez, Les Deux Alpes. If, as you say, you're happy with downloading at the end of the day, all bar L2A (I believe) have satellite resorts which could offer some bargains and save that final winding drive up the mountain. Even at altitude you probably will get massive mounds of afternoon slush on some slopes, something i really rather enjoy! If you don't, call it a day and enjoy the sunshine.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
With Easter during March this year I think any of the resort suggested will be OK but I think there is much more to the selection than just high pistes; aspect, steepness, quality of accommodation for example.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Afternoon slush is the point of skiing in spring. Alps D'Huez is however a terrible suggestion if you're really adverse due to South facing aspect.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
For a March Easter aspect of slopes is much more important than just altitude. Last Easter we stayed in Vars, skiing there and over the hill in Risoul. It was hot and sunny, slopes that caught the afternoon sun were slushy, others that didn't stayed in excellent condition.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We've skied many times in Val Cenis at Easter. It would suit you fine.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Afternoon slush is the point of skiing in spring. Alps D'Huez is however a terrible suggestion if you're really adverse due to South facing aspect.

Skiing at alpe d'Huez in March can be fantastic... but maybe not this year.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thank you for replies . . Hadn't thought of val cenis so will look into that. just been looking at tignes and Val thorens. Does anyone know if the standard of self catering apartments any better in one or the other resorts? Or infact les arcs or les 2 Alps? Thanks for help Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
altis wrote:
We've skied many times in Val Cenis at Easter. It would suit you fine.

It is a good option at Easter but not for those wanting to avoid slush. When we went late march it was slush in the afternoons from about 1800m downwards. Obviously there is a reasonable amount of skiing above that.

I'd recommend Arc 1950 or Arc 2000 as a less slushy option.

However if you can take out the avoiding slush restriction you will find a far wider range of resorts to choose from at Easter.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We've skied in VT In April for the last three years with children around your age and it has never let us down-even over the last two years when early April has been pretty warm. Last year we had an Easter storm and all the VT lifts were open whilst friends in Tignes at the same time told us they were all shut there. We book accommodation from Homeaway and there is loads of accommodation and lots of pictures so you can see what you're renting. Many of the residences are genuinely ski in/out-I would reckon more than Tignes. Make sure you ask the owner which residence it is in and then find it on the resort map to check.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you want to pay for high quality SC accommodation have a look at the accommodation offered by Peak Retreats, in a variety of resorts. You probably can afford to wait and see how things are working out. Easter is low season in France.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm not sure why avoiding slush in late March should be a key requirement? You normally would encounter slush almost anywhere in late March in a normal season. But this season isn't normal - I wouldn't be surprised if the latter parts of the season are colder than average. Easter is a lovely time to ski and your young kids will love it (same age as ours). They will also enjoy skiing slush - it's part of the deal. Another recommendations other than the obvious high resorts mentioned above would be La Tania. Easy to access and child friendly. Ski schools are very good. Courchevel / Val Thorens on your doorstep. The blue Folyeres is a lovely run through the forest down to resort - they keep it open until the end of the season. Number of SC options too. We are staying there from 3 April - not worried about snow conditions at all.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Hils68, does it have to be France?
ski holidays
No it doesn't have to be France. We are aiming to drive though ( have looked at flights to most places and they are pretty steep) so do want somewhere that is within a drive able distance from Calais with one overnight stop. Where were you thinking ? Very Happy
snow report
@Hils68, whether France or Austria (or Italy for that matter) its worth waiting to see how the weather goes. this has been an unusual season so far, with a lot of warm weather and patchy precipitation. Areas which have been relying on a lot of artificial snow might be running short of water if the snow doesn't arrive.
ski holidays
@Hils68, why no slush? Slush is luuuverly!
ski holidays
@Hils68, Most places in the French alps are easily driveable with one overnight stop. The northern alps are a couple of hours nearer than the tarentaise. We always use Peak Retreats mentioned above and their prices include the flexi plus Eurotunnel ticket which makes things easier.

I'd recommend any of the Grand Massif resorts if the short drive is important: (Samoens, Flaine, Les Carroz, Morillon)

If you don't mind driving a bit further have a look Les Arcs, Val Cenis or Montgenevre (which is through the Frejus tunnel but takes no longer than places like Tignes). We have done all these resorts in early April at various times and all have been good. I would say Montgenevre is best for ski school.

I wouldn't worry about the slush. The kids don't notice it. Request some well waxed skis that aren't too short for yourself and you will be skiing happily through the afternoon stuff.
ski holidays
@Hils68, I've driven to Stuben from Leeds for the past 4 or 5 Easters and always had ski back to base snow, even in the bad seasons. The good thing is the drive is nice and easy, inc the last mile up to the resort, none of the winding switchbacks you may get in the bigger/higher French resorts.

various pics here http://greghilton.co.uk/easter-skiing-at-stuben/
latest report
Kids certainly don't seem nearly as fussed as adults about"poor conditions". My granddaughter skied on horrible snow at chrw, with pouring rain the first day, in an entirely French group and an instructor who spoke practically no English. She did fine.

As for the adults, if you struggle with slush, might be worth doing a private lesson and specifically asking to be shown techniques for cooing with it. Slooshy slush is great fun but sticky slush can be horrible. An hour or so with a good instructor is nearly always well worthwhile.
snow report
We go as a family during the easter holidays for a few reasons, one of which is that it's far less crowded than half term. Then there's the weather... I'm far happier with slightly sunburnt kids than cold, miserable ones. And there's often a good chance of some nice flurries overnight and blue skies the following morning. The other plus which is often overlooked is that the season is drawing to an end, so the resort staff are in fairly good humour, unlike the hell that is mid February!
If you're not a fan of slush, get some wider skis and learn to love it! Happy It's far more enjoyable than boilerplate could ever be.
I'll be in L2A second week of April, carving through the slush down the right hand side of the Valentin at the end of the day
Cool
snow report
pam w wrote:
Kids certainly don't seem nearly as fussed as adults about"poor conditions". My granddaughter skied on horrible snow at chrw, with pouring rain the first day, in an entirely French group and an instructor who spoke practically no English. She did fine.

As for the adults, if you struggle with slush, might be worth doing a private lesson and specifically asking to be shown techniques for cooing with it. Slooshy slush is great fun but sticky slush can be horrible. An hour or so with a good instructor is nearly always well worthwhile.

+ hate to say it but having big rockered skis can be a lot better than standard rental stock
latest report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
pam w wrote:

+ hate to say it but having big rockered skis can be a lot better than standard rental stock

Nowt wrong with decent skinny skis either, get them on an edge and they are going to blast through any slush!
ski holidays
In your position it is questionable whether waiting until early March to book makes sense. Over the 2-3 weeks before you go there is plenty of scope for conditions to detoriate quickly so the opportunity to make a better informed decision won't be there. For me you need to be leaving it until 5 - 10 days before in order to make a snap decision type holiday. And given your requirements I don't think that will work for you. Prior to having kids going last minute was a regular thing for me. Now with two children I drive to French resorts with children nearly every Christmas and Easter. And I always book well in advance. And we don't use ski schools, which for you is going to be another factor for sorting it out early. Basically by booking early you get your chanel crossing booked it at the best prices available, you get a better choice of apartments and you'll get your ski school nailed down. Also if hiring kit you can get that booked in. The only downside of course is that you have to be on base with the ski area and accomodation location to cover the chance and indeed likelihood of poor and/or detoriating snow conditions - especially at lower altitudes. That said be careful you don't get obsessed with the idea that height is the be all and end all, certainly in terms of where you stay. For example Les Coches is only 1450m but is an excellent place to stay for skiing Paradiski because it is a link to and from the Vanoise Express and therefore is snow cannoned and looked after to extreme lengths to keep open. Also as you are happy to download that gives you options. Les Contamines for example gets plenty of snow and is mostly high but has pretty much one route to the bottom and the town is quite low. So uploading and downloading at the start and end of the day gives you access to a great and often overlooked skiing area.

As others have said I wouldn't be concerned with slush.
ski holidays
Les Contamines is a good suggestion for Easter, using the gondola to download. The east facing slopes keep their snow well up there.

It's a well strung out village though. Driving to the base of the lift would give you more choice of accommodation.
snow report
@Hils68,

I have skied lots at this time of year and I reckon that Tignes and Val Thorens are very hard to beat as far as conditions are concerned. They are about as snow sure as you can get in the French Alps. La Plagne would be an excellent place for the children and the ski school at Oxygene has an excellent reputation. So why not go to La Plagne Centre the kids go Oxygene ski school, you do the Oxygene Steep and Deep and you meet up for lunch and skiing the afternoon together.
snow report
clarky999 wrote:
@Hils68, why no slush? Slush is luuuverly!

+1 not sure what people have against it - I love skiing in slush.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If considering val cenis I can recommend http://www.les-balcons.com/presentation/les-balcons-de-val-cenis-village.html our appartment was lovely jacuzzi baths, log fire, well equipped, good parking. We went mid March with perfect conditions.

Our kids (younger than yours at time we went) also enjoyed the ESF ski school there.
ski holidays
Wow . . Some excellent ideas to mull upon and look into, thanks so much for your advice . . It may well be that I do a short list, book the tunnel and then see what accomodation / ski school weather is like and go from there. My adversion to slush comes from last year we went to Slovenia. . Hit Slovenian school half term 😁and the slopes were so heavy going that i found my British Intermediate skiing not really upto it !! A lot of hard work just trying to stay upright! Yes, perhaps a lesson or two for me would be good! Very Happy
snow report
just looking at very similar options to yourself. if its of interest ive gone straight to les contamines website, and i can get myself and my two kids (9&6) into accommodation and passes for 433 euros. Thats not bad at all considering the amount of snow the northern French alps are getting atm. I have been there before for one day, while staying in Megeve. I much prefered Les contamines, probably due to its higher pistes. The only concern i have right now is the upload/download thing with two youngsters.
ski holidays
Val Thorens.
latest report
Been to VT......its not as good in my opinion. Prefered the longer runs of LC. Also, cost....433 euros inc passes and accommodation!
snow conditions
I go to Val Thorens each year at the end of april / beg May to take part in the building coprop AGM. In the last 7 years there has never been an issue with the snow. It's usually melted in the village which means a bit of a walk to the pistes, instead of ski out of the back of the building and slushy in the afternoons below 2500 Metres. But there's a good reason why it stays open 2 weeks beyond the rest of the 3 Vs and that's altitude and plenty of north facing slopes.

Also, probably why the EOSB happens there.
ski holidays
Quote:

The only concern i have right now is the upload/download thing with two youngsters.

Shouldn't be a problem. Two stage gondola up to "Signal" at 1900m. When I've been there a lot of ski lessons seem to start there. And back down from there, or the lower "Etape", to the bottom.

But you need to be sure how to get from your accommodation to the bottom of the gondola. There are actually two gondolas on the bottom stage.

If in doubt, there are some snowheads who know LC very well, who could advise on location of accommodation.

There are some draglifts in LC, not all of them very child friendly.
ski holidays
@pam w,

Can you advise me on your local slopes at that time of year? My main concern being that if my kids want to have a break for an hour or so, the effort of getting to the village in LC seems like it would be a little bit of a drag.
snow report
@emwmarine, @Whitegold,

Totally get the altitude, and VT is great for straight on the slopes, but because of youngsters in tow, they probably wont want to ski all day. So early april mornings should be good enough for us at lower altitudes. If i was going solo....Tignes or VT would be front runners.
ski holidays
@greggy500, yes, it probably would. By my local slopes, you mean Les Saisies? Well, I've been there every Easter for many years and I have a huge family party from 26 March this year, roping in various local apartments and a big gite. I think it'll be fine, with Easter early, but given that the skiing tops out at 2000m it's not somewhere you would wholeheartedly recommend for Easter. But for child friendly slopes, with lots of accommodation just a few minutes from the "front de neige" you can't really beat Les Saisies (my place is actually in Bisanne 1500, but the main village would be a better bet for most people, especially with beginner children).

Les Saisies village is at 1650m and has pretty reliable snow.
ski holidays
@pam w,

Thanks, just the sort of info im looking for.......of to the website to see if they do some accommodation/pass deals.......although by the sounds of it, your family might have snapped it all up!
latest report
Rather than high how about north? Places like Åre or Trysil will still have plenty of snow.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy