Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do skiers get a raw luggage allowance deal?

Poster: A snowHead
Just reading various posts about ski carriage, bag weight allowances etc. Has always annoyed me: my ski boots weigh just over 5kg, whilst OH's snowboard boots weigh - well, an awful lot less. I can't see that his board & bindings weigh an extra several Kgs compared to my skis and bindings, either, so there isn't even a balance on the weight difference there - though I appreciate that all equipment can vary considerably.
But anyways, adhering strictly (yes, I know... rolling eyes ) to the ski/board carriage rules (etc, etc, etc) then the 20kg hold allowance which I get (Thompson Air) for all of my gear, clothes, meds, food and all the rest of it (and the poxy 5kg hand luggage) is therefore already significantly compromised because I ride 2 planks of wood and not 1. Pah! No fair! Sad
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Do they actually enforce the 5kg hand luggage rule? I've flown on Thompson and my hand luggage has definitely been way above 5kg and I'm flying with them on Saturday, my laptop alone is about 3kg and I am taking that and a lot more in my hand luggage
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yeah and do fat people get a good deal? Cos they are taking on [x]% more weight on the plane than you are for free?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lol. Good point, if they try and enforce the 5kg hand luggage rule I may point out that I am considerably smaller than most people. Otherwise I will just rearrange my bags but at the end of the day it makes no difference as to overall weight, I'll still have the same amount on the plane and within my overall allowance.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
& babies? I mean they don't even pay for a ticket yet exceed their noise allowance considerably on a plane....
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Bloody boarders, I blame them!!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Buy one of these and stop moaning http://www.jaktogo.com/

snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Legend. wrote:
Buy one of these and stop moaning

Looks just like a few years ago on a 15kg Ryanair allowance when ice climbing with all the gear! Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Minion1980 wrote:
Do they actually enforce the 5kg hand luggage rule? I've flown on Thompson and my hand luggage has definitely been way above 5kg and I'm flying with them on Saturday, my laptop alone is about 3kg and I am taking that and a lot more in my hand luggage

I have to (or certainly wish to) carry a lot of non-hold medications and the like, and 5kg is a real issue for me. Last week at Manchester they didn't even weigh the double board bag, but they did weigh the hold luggage and, unusually, the cabin luggage too (though ex 'handbag') - one was over, the other under, total >10kg but not by too much and they weren't bothered. But never say never is all that I'll say...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Grizzler wrote:
Minion1980 wrote:

I have to (or certainly wish to) carry a lot of non-hold medications and the like, and 5kg is a real issue for me. Last week at Manchester they didn't even weigh the double board bag, but they did weigh the hold luggage and, unusually, the cabin luggage too (though ex 'handbag') - one was over, the other under, total >10kg but not by too much and they weren't bothered. But never say never is all that I'll say...

True, I have been thinking about this and to be honest I think it is more to make sure people don't take the wee wee - i.e turn up with 20kg boardbag, 20kg hold luggage and 15kg hand luggage then I could understand them having an issue with this.

However if I rock up with my board bag at 15kg and my hand luggage at 10kg then really I'm well under the overall allowance for myself as I don't have the 20kg hold bag so I would expect some leeway/understanding/common sense. If worse comes to the worse I will move stuff to the board bag and/or wear my gloves/goggles/jumpers that I might have in the bag Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This is a pet gripe of mine. At Bristol airport we were invited by the Easyjet check in lady to take something heavy out of our big bag and put it in our handbag so she neednt charge us extra for the overweight big bag. Duh? Both bags are going on the same aircraft. On the way back from Bodrum the check in lady invited us to put our hand luggage into the hold free of charge if we wanted to. Same baggage overall same weight, one aeroplane. Every airline applies makes up and applies rules differently, we just have to bit the bullet and accept it I am afraid.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The only sensible answer is to weigh passengers together with their luggage and charge them accordingly. Currently a skinny 4 year old with a modest sized hold bag pays more than a 200lb porker with one of those socking great cabin bags on wheels. No rhyme or reason. wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've never had my carry on bag weighed.... Does it happen often?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@FFIRMIN, that happened to us flying with BMI Baby once...ended up buying a Boots canvas bag for life thingy, putting all the stuff she made us take out of our suitcases as she said they were overweight and carrying it through as hand luggage.

Okay, they were maybe 1 or 2kg each over, but this was before we had our own skis/board (boots only at the time) so we had no ski/board bags with us and only minimal (and I do mean minimal) hand luggage. So overall, weight the same, just taken as hand luggage.

Their reasoning - if the bags overweight when it gets down to the handlers the check in staff copped it.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Cabin bags are limited not least as they go overhead, and incompetent or careless passengers have a knack of letting them fall on the head of the unlucky person below.
ski holidays
Thompson from Bristol were weighing hold bags and hand baggage couple of weeks ago, our kids have their boots in their rucksacks and were over weight, so my daughter (bless) took one of the boots out and put it on the floor, it came under weight and the bag was given back to her, she then proceeded to put the boot back in again Toofy Grin

Balkan from Bristol didn't seem to worry as long as it was 'close' but what really gets me is that we had a greater allowance last summer for a beach holiday than crystal were giving for a winter holiday!!!
latest report
You could argue that thin and normal weight skiers are getting a raw deal. It is galling to have your luggage pulled over when it is 2kg overweight when the person behind you is 40kg heavier than you. I think the allowance should be passenger+luggage
latest report
For about the last 10+ ski trips we have had a large hold-all type bag and a suitcase. The large bag has compartments to take 2no. pairs of ski boots. It is always about +5kg over the limit. The suitcase is always about -5kg under the limit. We have never been asked to take stuff out of the hold-all, in either direction. All they do at check-in is put a 'heavy' sticker on the hold-all.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
The only sensible answer is to weigh passengers together with their luggage and charge them accordingly. Currently a skinny 4 year old with a modest sized hold bag pays more than a 200lb porker with one of those socking great cabin bags on wheels. No rhyme or reason. wink

I have often said that the only absolutely fair ticketing regime is to buy an "all up" weight allowance, passenger plus baggage, including cabin luggage. Unfortunately the likes of Ryan Air (or Con Air as we lovingly refer to them) would probably set the "standard" weight at 50kg and then charge you to use their check-in weighing scales (along with all their other compulsory "optional" items).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy