Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First time hiring a car and driving Barcelona to Soldeu

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, first time posting here I think, been a member for a long time though, great source of information!

Myself and two others are flying to Barcelona (BCN) end of Feb, and looking to hire a car and drive up to Soldeu for a week. I've never hired a car before or obviously done this drive. Can anyone offer me some tips? I'm confident on the roads, and done a fair bit of driving in rural Spain but not too much.

At the moment I'm looking to pay a bit more on the car hire to go with Sixt, as I recognise them as a better company than some others that are coming up in the comparison sites. Currently considering a Renault Megane or Ford Focus, should be enough for 3 people and baggage?

Cheers! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@SgtMunky, welcome to snowheads! Personally I've almost always used a TO but I'm sure we'll shortly get feedback from someone with more experience
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have done the drive a couple of times - it's a very easy one once you're outside of the Barcelona city limits, as it's mostly motorways or dual carriageways.

Sat navs and Google maps will take you the most direct route, which dips into France North of Puigcerda, then crosses the border into Andorra at Pas de la Casa. This is definitely the fastest route, but that road is known to close when there is a lot of snow, so it is best only doing that one if you are absolutely certain that it's clear (it's a very high road).

The other route is to turn West at Puigcerda and basically drive through all of Andorra, through La Vella, through Encamp etc etc. Although a slightly longer route, it is not really too much different. There is also a MASSIVE supermarket just on the Spanish / Andorran border which is useful if you're self catering (or just want some cheap booze or watches!)

I would recommend you look to get some snow chains from the rental company, or alternatively they can be bought from the aforementioned large supermarket on the Spain / Andorra border if you get caught out.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The game changer for me & hiring cars abroad has been having a sat nav with you. Otherwise leaving a strange airport, often late at night with a rubbish map is a bit of a nightmare. Also you need to check the situation re snow chains as you will need to have them (or snow tyres) if you're driving to a ski resort in Feb. Chances are you won't need them but if you do you'll be stuck without them.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the reply, both of you!

I have a sat nav that's EU covered, so I should be ok there, but we all have decent phones too (I might download the maps I need and save them offline). We are arriving at 12pm so the entire drive will be in day light Smile

Stopping by a supermarket is definitely a good choice for us, we'll grab some booze and food!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@SgtMunky, be careful downloading maps, Andorra is outside EU so you will get bill shock. Otherwise, driving to Soldeu up from LA Vella is easy. Follow signs to Encamp to get out of town IIRC. My only problem in El Tarter was locating the actual road of where the apt was, so if you zoom in google maps and print the village plan before, better mark where the apt is, it will be simple.

Loads of shops and garages to sell snow socks or similar en route.

Have fun!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I stayed in El Tarter a couple of years ago, great place but we are staying at Hotel de l'Isard so we'll be having a half hour drive to Soldeu (which is fine for us really, the hotel looks great)

Good shout on Andorra not being EU
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've not done this in winter but drove a lot around the Spanish Catalonian Pyrenees in October - be prepared for a shedload of tolls between Barca and Puigcerda. Ridiculous amounts of tolls. More tolls than you thought would be possible.

It's not so much the expense just the constant stopping! Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I rented a car from Avis from Girona to go to Soldeu. On the same booking I rented another car to take me back 15 days later. The day I was due to pick the car up Avis sent me an email and just cancelled the reservation. After a lot of phone calls I managed to get alternative transport (it was not easy). I was really annoyed with Avis. I was even more annoyed when they charged me for the return car which I thought THEY had cancelled. I have refused to use Avis ever since.

Anyway is 12 pm midday or midnight?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Good luck with the weather. For the last week Soldeu has been showing +10C or more (I saw 14) over the last week on the webcam, and there is far too much brown mountain visible on the other side of the valley.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

be careful downloading maps, Andorra is outside EU so you will get bill shock

check your provider.
mine is €1.99 for a day's worth of data that used to nominally be "EU". in reality, it covers Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Andorra, Channel Isles, Norway, Iceland etc. too

I always go with a proper rental car provider, and not a reseller.

And I always take my own satnav. I never choose satnav optional extra, since 80% of the rental cars I've had in the last few years have had satnav built in to the media centre console thing.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I was in Soldeu at the weekend, and like @Orange200 said the temps were starting to warm up but conditions were still fantastic - plus you're not going to the end of Feb so nothing to worry about at this stage.

We very nearly hired a car but in the end found the Novatel bus a much better option - a lot cheaper, no parking expenses to worry about in Soldeu, and (bearing in mind we would have driven the Spanish way) about the same transfer time.

With regards to data costs - I can recommend Co-Pilot as app on your phone. Firstly, it's a brilliant sat nav - but more importantly it loads the maps to your phone so (unlike many sat nav apps) it doesn't use any data when you use it, so no data cost worries at all.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Orange200 wrote:
Good luck with the weather. For the last week Soldeu has been showing +10C or more (I saw 14) over the last week on the webcam, and there is far too much brown mountain visible on the other side of the valley.

To be fair, it's only ever really after a huge snowfall that the mountainside on the other side of the valley is anything but brown - which is presumably why the ski resort is where it is, and not at the other side of the valley Laughing

I wouldn't worry about the weather - they have some incredibly good piste maintenance crews in Grandvalira so they'll make it work whatever.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy