Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Preparation exercises?

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone know a few exercises that will help get my legs in shape before I ski?

Need to be for the home and not at a gym. I deal would be 10-15 minutes a day.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@GimmieSnow,

If you only have 10-15 minutes a day just go running/jogging. Try to vary your speed each day/within the 15 minutes.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Okay thanks.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
At home you can always incorporate some stretches into your daily routine, which should help you generally.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lunges and wall sits
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I got a ski exercise app and am doing 12mins on that a day next week twice a day. Plus doing squats and lunges couple of times a day
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
KernowRed wrote:
I got a ski exercise app and am doing 12mins on that a day next week twice a day. Plus doing squats and lunges couple of times a day

Have you got a link? 😀
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.workout.fitness.ski12min
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@GimmieSnow, Welcome to snowHeads. Core strength is as important as leg strength, imho. try squats and sit-ups as well as running
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@KernowRed, thanks. Tougher than I expected 😀 Can't believe how bad I am at push ups!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ha ha, I'm on day 3 and its killing me. So unfit, but play football once a week sometimes twice.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@KernowRed,

I train 3x weekly, with an emphasis on legs/quads from Sept onwards. My thighs still suffered for the first 4/5 days of our trip last week. Gym fit helps massively, but it's still not ski fit.

Where are you from in the Duchy?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yeah I have 40 days to try and get fitter to snowboard every day for a week.

Helston
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've got Skilates:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skilates-Pilates-for-Skiers-and-Snowboarders-DVD-/181271671128?hash=item2a34a23158:g:jasAAOxyzi9SmK1U

A bit "cheesy", but it works, although more expensive than the app @KernowRed has (will be checking that out...) and the sessions are longer than 15 mins
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@holidayloverxx, sorry, but you shouldn't do wall sits. Ski-wise, it's the very worst position to train your body into. Lunges, jump lunges, squats and gradual squats exercises the same muscles but in a better body position.
ski holidays
Thanks i will check it out.
latest report
Stuff like this

http://youtube.com/v/pLO13X3ncZg

http://youtube.com/v/r3GAh4LN36M
snow report
Mollerski wrote:
@KernowRed,

I train 3x weekly, with an emphasis on legs/quads from Sept onwards. My thighs still suffered for the first 4/5 days of our trip last week. Gym fit helps massively, but it's still not ski fit.

Where are you from in the Duchy?

I do a fair bit of mountain biking and a bit of running but like you say, it's not ski fit! Did a couple of hours on a dry slope last week but spent more time 'in the back seat' due to not adapting to it. Probably gave my legs a good work out but did nothing for my confidence or skiing.
Ps,been to Helston quite a few times, my brother in law is in the navy and lived there till recently.
latest report
http://www.active.com/fitness/articles/get-fit-for-ski-season-6-week-workout-plan-pt-1

http://www.snowsbest.com/getting-fit-for-the-slopes/
snow report
The core is the engine of the body, the glutes its steering wheel and the knees the wheels. If the abs and glutes can't hold you the knees muscles (inc thighs) take it all. That's why squats and lunges with an engaged core plus separate core work is excellent. Running is good provided the core and glutes are strong enough in the first place and which, IME is often not the case.

Squats and lunges also give you the chance to really think about how centred your weight is through your feet, which is also essential for efficient skiing.

Unfortunately, regular core and lunge work is hard on your own, whereas running and cycling is not. Therefore, as something is better than nothing...
snow report
Dr John wrote:
@holidayloverxx, sorry, but you shouldn't do wall sits. Ski-wise, it's the very worst position to train your body into. Lunges, jump lunges, squats and gradual squats exercises the same muscles but in a better body position.

No need to apologise. I do them against a Swiss ball under physio supervision along side all the other stuff including 35kg squats and deadlifts It's just another tool in the toolbox. I disagree that you 'shouldn't ' do wall sits..I accept you might not think it a good idea.
ski holidays
@holidayloverxx, fair enough, ultimately it's whatever works for you. Try jump lunges if you haven't already. You need to be warmed up, and they can be hard on the knees, but it's one of the few exercises I've done that emulates the alternate leg effort & lactic acid build up. I noticed a difference with being able to do longer continuous carved turn runs.
latest report
@Dr John, can't jump because of knee issue Sad. I still do physio every week 2.5 years after injury to keep mobile. I'm a lot fitter than I was and have 1 leg like a footballers but I've never been able to make up the deficit in the other leg and I soon know about it if I get lazy.
latest report
Squats against a wall with a Swiss ball is one of the exercises in Jonathan Bell's website. Good enough for me. Using an elastic band (not the correct term) is excellent for abductors, hip flexors, hamstrings and glutes. You can do a lot in a short time. No fancy equipment required.
Cycling is good too, of course.
ski holidays
@pam w, I do crab walking and forward walking with a very tight band every session. ..glutes of steel..
snow report
@holidayloverxx, theraband, that's the proper name, isn't it? I worked moderately hard before the season. But now I'm actually here..... Lazy bones. the last few days I've done about 2 hours xc skiing then spent the rest of the time loafing around. Enjoying the spring like sun.
snow conditions
@pam w, yes. .kinda..it's a trade name for giant elastic bands.
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
Dr John wrote:

No need to apologise. I do them against a Swiss ball under physio supervision along side all the other stuff including 35kg squats and deadlifts It's just another tool in the toolbox. I disagree that you 'shouldn't ' do wall sits..I accept you might not think it a good idea.

I agree with you, you have been very dedicated, very successful and imo a very tactful reply

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I heard resistance bands are good warm ups and help to strengthen muscles around the tendons good for preventing injury and strain.
snow conditions
I've been doing squats (3 x 10 reps), lunges (3 x 15 reps) and offset squats (2 x 6 reps on each side) on a Bosu, plus 3 x 1 minute bridges, most days (twice a day if I'm being good) since last August. Also one-legged balancing/dips on the Bosu. This started off as physio for a sprained/busted ankle - then I just carried on due to the almost miraculous strengthening I gained to my core and quads, plus it trimmed my figure and helped me shed over a stone Smile

I can ski off piste all day now without my legs really getting tired at all, and it really benefits other stuff I do e.g. hillwalking and climbing. The 25 min routine before breakfast is now built into my normal day (just means getting up half an hour earlier each day Confused ).

I guess I had the initial motivation of desperately wanting to get back in action after knackering my ankle.

I wouldn't go straight into a routine as intensive as this (especially on a Bosu, which is hard work initially), but build it up gradually - maybe start it two or three days a week? Just doing the squats and lunges on a Bosu, plus the bridges would probably make a difference quite quickly and only take around 10-15 mins.
ski holidays
Cycling helps a lot for me.
Being gym fit helps but there is a big difference in a 45 min work out and a few hours on skis.
snow conditions
Leg Blasters (google it) works really well once you build up your stamina to them. Consists of squats , lunges , jump lunges and jump squats. Warning it can make your legs very sore after the first few sessions!!
snow report
The Skiers Edge is excellent for working the ski muscles.
latest report
I cycle quite a lot (80 mile per week) and run and swim a little. I've also naturally got strong thighs - bit out of proportion. I don't really get tired downhill skiing (I don't race though - appreciate that's different). I do notice that my legs are a bit "heavy" when I get back on my bike after a weeks skiing. What helps me for skiing is flexibility work - dynamic stretches - that help extend the range of motion. They really give you confidence when you need to pull out a big recovery move or absorb a landing etc.
snow conditions
Interesting that skiing doesn't feed back into your cycling, @jedster, though cycling certainly helps skiing. I've just had the sobering experience of doing some exercises I did without difficulty in the gym before coming to France earlier this month. I've done some alpine skiing, some Xc, some walking and some snowshoeing. Nothing heroic but not been inactive. But I could no longer do the bridge exercises I did before. Side bridges one minute before, now struggling to do more than 30 seconds. Hamstring bridges fairly crap too. Embarassed downhill, lift served skiing is not very demanding, not the way many of us do it, at any rate.

Need to work harder. One of the many rubbish aspects of getting older is losing condition very quickly. Crying or Very sad
snow report
Though not having to go to work helps make up for it.... wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy