Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Online Resources - yay or nay?

Poster: A snowHead
In the shortish time I've been skiing, online videos have been a great added resource. Obviously not a substitute for real lessons (and I've had quite a few of those too), but what I assume are the 'usual suspects' of online ski vids have formed a clear part of my idea of about how to do 'it', and I usually swot up before a holiday for specific techniques to practice.

But - is there collective Snowhead wisdom on all these self appointed online ski mentors...?

Do people have opinions on which ones are better than others?

In trying to get that extra bit of mental prep in I have personally viewed the following in varying amounts:

Very Happy Darren Turner - Elate Media (My go to videos for first check on technique, or to explain to friends)

Very Happy Josh Foster's Ski Tips (Some really good specific techniques / good descriptions of how some stuff works, or drills)

Smile Warren Smith Ski School (Old skool video on the figure eight / driving the ski really helped me with the quiet upper body, leg separation thing, also some useful bits on fitness)

Smile JF Beaulieu - (Good stuff on edge control, plus I just like how he skis...)

Smile Klaus Mair - Sofa Ski School (Carving stuff looked cool when I first started. He seems a bit oldskool, but I've watched some of his vids to fill the time)

Confused Ski Addiction (only teasers, how to ski switch and how to pop etc...)

Embarassed Jake Muller (Much more recent - better guide to skiing switch etc..., needed because i still can't do anything 'park related' properly at all)

Puzzled Harold Harb (He always seems to take bumps and crud really well, but I've never been sure about his 'system' compared to just skiing properly like the others above seem to do)

But in applying techniques and listening to real in the flesh instructors, I have often felt that at least some of the online guys tend to over-simplify compared to standard instruction, or for some parts (particularly for beginners or lower intermediate level) make it more complicated for the sake of it...

What do people think? Are there some snake water salesmen out there?

Who have I missed?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I watched the Jake Muller vids. Don't think much of his goggle tan line, but good tips on skiing switch.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've got some audio cassettes "Teach Yourself Skiing in 24 hours"
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I quite like videos - personally I think there is real merit in closely watching good skiers, with or without commentary. I think Warren Smith's stuff is quite handy. But actually I find books really good - can go a bit deeper and dwell on the anything that is slow to digest. My favourites have been
All-Mountain Skier: The Way to Expert Skiing - Mark Elling
Ultimate Skiing - Ron LeMaster
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@jedster, I agree that reference books like those from LeMaster and Elling allow you to go a bit deeper into technical skills than videos ever will. For me, I don't find videos much use but I think learning style is an individual thing so I'm sure some people will find great value in them. Of the list in the OP I rate Darren Turner's videos very highly, and JF is just inspirational to watch (have a look at the Project Kitz stuff that Beaulieu, McGlashan & Lorenz have put together).
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think if you're going to watch them all you might be in danger of confusing yourself e.g. what do you do when different gurus recommend a different magic bullet for achieving the same thing. There is definitely some cultism out there e.g. Wozzer Smith disciples have to pray at the altar of bracquage every day and Harb zealots can be actually quite frightening. But to be fair I have a friend who has done a bit with Harb in person and I don't have a hope of keeping up with him as he eats huge double fall line mogul fields top to bottom with no stops. Plus he feels no need to talk about it.

You've missed Rick Schnellman (erstwhile Fastman on here) who has a great collection for anyone willing to put in hard yards doing lots of development drills. (I'm not & haven't).

The biggest thing though is mileage which you can't get from watching. There's a lot of chat about imperfect practice makes permanent which is true if you lack focus and self awareness but IMV doing say 26 days skiing in 2x2week blocks is going to bring you on farther in a season than 5 years of watching DVDs/online with a week each year.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
For me, the online resources give some ideas for things to try, but what you think you are doing and what you are actually doing often differs.
I found it more constructive to pair up and analyse/criticise each other. And you get to see (or be accused of) some very odd habits... austrian farmer with boots interlocked when turning right, but enough space to hold a tennis ball between knees turning left. Or pole plants only on right turns.

Rick Schnellman's vids are good for all the balance drills, and balance recovery (ie do it wrong and get back to the right position mid turn), but it's all about absolute perfection in all of the building blocks, and would need a season of drills rather than the 1-2 weeks vacation most of us get.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Harb - is the future. Frustrated with limitations with my off piste technique, I decided I needed to be smoother in my style, less dead spots and encouraged by guide with talk about moving from little toe edge to big toe edge rather than unweighting. I checked out Harb and have been converted. His turns with 1st movement to the little toe edge of the foot you are turning in the direction of i.e. left turn, little toe edge of left foot tips, makes absolute sense now and really works. Much smoother and gets you on the right edges early in the turn I think. Also much less muscle and more finesse. Don't take this the wrong way, but skiing like a lady with good technique rather than a man forcing skis to turn because we have muscle power to force issue. I spent a week converting from old school turns to Harbs turns, and I feel I have improved. Certainly less muscle power used and I think skis carving earlier/better in the turn. Not really tested a lot off -piste yet cos snow conditions a bit skinny on last two trips but I think Harb turns will be smoother and result in improvements, although there may be a bit of extra speed to deal with i.e. less skidding and dead zones. Harb way harder to learn I reckon and requires more balance, but sometimes I think we forget that skiing does involve balance if skiing well and this becomes more important when off piste with variable snow conditions. Check our Harb on Youtube.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Online resoures can help but remember there is no one correct way, there are wrong ways though. You need an open mind and if you watch more than one or two different people an ability to understand not just what they are saying, but how and why it differs from another method.

If you can not then the Darren Turner are about the best of the current crop IMO for understanding what he is showing and being able to repeat it yourself. The JF vids as rob@rar, says are inspirational. If you are upto a 7 or maybe even an 8 on the inside out skiing levels then just watch JF in awe. If above maybe start trying to look and analyse what he does.
The inside out skiing vids re levels are well worth watching they are about the best and most complete reference videos online I have seen for helping people see what level they ski at.
Some of the others though not really teaching are also inspirational re seeing the progress people have made some of who are Snowheads. It can give encouragement that yes you can improve and be a better skier,( again about the most inspirational I have seen for showing you can improve ).

But lastly skiing is a dance with the mountain you need the ability to adapt to it, not try and make the immovable object adapt to you. I really good skier moves with the mountain they adapt their skiing to be it's perfect partner. The best can do this without even thinking. You start with a solid technique then continue learning for as long as you keep skiing.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Long time - no posts (from me); thanks for all the replies peeps.

I have previously found the Inside Out vids really helpful for discussions with skibuddies joining a ski trip to figure out how we will all fit together as a group. I think I am somewhere around 7/8 but to be honest that may be a little generous as I've not actually had a lesson with IO to confirm... Shocked

From this thread (and other SB references) I have actually bought the Mark Elling book, which is really helpful, and I've been very sucked in by all the JFB stuff. Being on a bike all summer has distracted from my usual ski technique ponderings, but plotting a Feb trip is bringing it all back - possibly with some Hemel ventures to get back up to par.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

The inside out skiing vids re levels are well worth watching they are about the best and most complete reference videos online I have seen for helping people see what level they ski at.

Thanks! they took a very long time to put together, glad they are of use...

I like the Darren Turner stuff as well. For Drills for more advanced skiers I really rate a series of clips by
The Burke Mountain Academy narrated by the worlds best skier who trained with them as a child..
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've found Debra Armstrong videos (for U-10 ones) very helpful. For example foot-pressure and body posture.

http://youtube.com/v/wslCf5YHF00
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cool gloves Happy

Nice video as well.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@skimottaret, I discovered the "get over it" video in the spring and tried to achieve it but what @andy said "what you think you are doing and what you are actually doing often differs" is so true. Having lessons with Inside Out and also at Skiplex through the summer have really helped put more jigsaw pieces into place. Only, the more pieces I have, the more I see are still missing wink

@matejp, I've not heard of Debra - this video also looks good.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Both those videos are really helpful for where I am currently at actually.

@skimottaret, would you say the get over it drill set out in that video is a more advanced example of some of the 'the driving the ski' stuff which Warren Smith is talking about here
http://youtube.com/v/1k4c87HEOAQ ?

I'm aware that trying to draw too many similarities between different online instructors is a mistake, but there do seem to be some parallels and I found the Warren Smith vid above helped me have a bit of a breakthrough when I first watched it.

@motyl, Thanks for the video - U10 or not it was v. interesting!
snow report
@Pynch, not mine, it was from @matejp Very Happy

I might be doing some online viewing myself tonight snowHead
latest report
@motyl, you are right of course...

Thanks @matejp!
snow report
not really but I got bored watching that video as a bit too techy for me... not too sure about how he demos the hips in front of the feet, the rocking for aft with upper body and the golf balls bit...
snow conditions
@skimottaret, yeah he does go on a bit in it.

The part that I found really useful was the last 90 seconds where he talks common mistakes and hip vs. ski position to make turning more fluid (but he does have a pretty monotone voice going whilst talking about it).
ski holidays
I only picked the get over it drill randomly from BM. The reason I like their videos is that Shiffrin explains why it works for her and is very, very precise in explaining how to execute them correctly.
snow report
I'm not saying projection isn't important but I see many m̶a̶r̶k̶e̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶m̶i̶r̶a̶c̶l̶e̶s̶ modern skis which if they're not in reverse camber out of the factory door, readily adopt the position just by being tilted on edge...

I don't know how he kept straight face while describing the range of motion one could develop on a single thrust.
latest report
Pync... no problem. This her video I liked the most (from 1:13 onwards Smile)

http://youtube.com/v/XgctOD6OkZk
snow report
@matejp, just watched this Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy