Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Oakley spare lense

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I've recently purchased a new pair of goggles.
http://www.theopticshop.co.uk/oakley-goggles-flight-deck-factory-pilot-fire-red-prizm-torch-iridium-oo7050-32/

Now I know nothing about the different types of lenses for different weather conditions. So I was wondering whether someone could give some on advice?
The lense on them at the minute is the prizm torch iridium.
I don't know what sort of conditions that best for or is it suited to a specific weather condition. Will I struggle to see or is it best buying a spare lense for both good and bad weather.
Any suggestions on the type of lense I should by is appreciated
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Iridium lenses are best used for medium to bright days and the HI Yellow or the the Persimmon are best for flat to low light.

Rich
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So first thing first is you got a pair of oakley prizm lenses on them. Which are meant to be a step up on standard lenses.

About the technology here:

http://www.oakley.com/en/prizm/snow/

and unbiased snowheads reviews of prizm lenses here:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2828163

I would strongly advise you pick up a low light lens - this one and the reviews on the above thread back this up:

https://www.freezeproshop.com/oakley-flight-deck-replacement-goggle-lens/colour:47061?country=GB&currency=GBP&utm_source=GoogleShopping&gclid=CI_OqJmUxcoCFYPnwgodqy4ACw

Your current lens will cover you in sunny conditions and cover you well in broken skies.

[img]https://www.freezeproshop.com/oakley-flight-deck-replacement-goggle-lens/colour:47061?country=GB&currency=GBP&utm_source=GoogleShopping&gclid=CI_OqJmUxcoCFYPnwgodqy4ACw[/img]
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I bought the same goggles with the same iridium lens. As the red lens is for normal/semi-bright light, I bought the rose coloured lens which is for low/flat light (according to the oakley prizm website). Was cheapest on surfdome.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
To be honest I've owned and used a stack of lenses for my Oakleys......my mates used to laugh at me for taking out three different lenses and then laughed even harder watching me trying to get the bloody things into the frame.

Don't get too hung up on which lens is best because when it comes to flat light there is not a massive difference between any of them. As long as you have one for sunny days and maybe one for lesser light days you will be good.

I now only use the Iridium lens......no more messing about.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
For me the Hi Yellow lens is great for flat light and I would very much recommend it.

I have A-frames so (unless I'm taking a rucksack) don't bother switching on the mountain, I just make a call in the morning on what is likely needed and take that pair.

Towards the end of the day I do frequently wish I had the Hi Yellow with me regardless of how bright it starts out, I just can't quite justify the cost of getting a whole new set up yet.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
For me, the Hi Yellow is my default lens, switching to an iridium in really strong sun. The yellow, for me (your experience may vary), is really comes into its own in flat light. Snowboarding in AdH couple of weeks back we had snowfall every day, so the clouds were down and the light was very flat at times and they really do make a difference.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
With the new(ish) Prizm technology the Prizm Rose has surpassed the Hi Intensity Yellow for low/flat light, plus it's pretty good in clear/sunny conditions to, which the Hi Yellow isn't.

As said above I found Surfdome to be the cheapest online retailer.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
aDD THIS TO YOUR KIT AND YOU ARE SORTED...(caps Mad )

http://www.rxsport.co.uk/products/Oakley-Flight-Deck-Ski-Goggles-Replacement-Lens-Kit-%252d-Prizm-Rose.html

https://www.surfdome.com/oakley_goggles_-_oakley_flight_deck_replacement_lens_goggles_-_prizm_rose-187063
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
had the rose on in Scotland recently, was blue skies but not fully bright sun and found them great. think the ones you have are meant for full sun so would suggest getting the rose too.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Rose is sold out everywhere can't find it anywhere, what's the next alternative? Persimmon??
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi yellow?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not Persimmon no!

Hi Yellow will be better in very snowy/dark conditions but that is all. Rose is much more versatile

Only place I can see is here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OAKLEY-LENTE-RICAMBIO-MASCHERA-PRIZM-FLIGHT-DECK-SNOW-REPLACEMENT-LENS-ROSE-/182011989159?hash=item2a60c28ca7:g:4WQAAOSwX~dWseVt
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There are some rose on here but goggles rather than just lenses

https://www.igero.com/goggles-c8/oakley-m1/prizm-t3066/prizm-rose-a759
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Camerontocher, It looks like Surfdome have Prizm Rose lenses available for Flight Decks, Airbrakes, Crowbar, Canopy and A Frames....

https://www.surfdome.com/Snowboard_Goggles-469/?sort=bestsellers&brands%5B%5D=Oakley&properties%5BColour%5D%5B%5D=Pink
ski holidays
They must be back in stock, they had none in yesterday
latest report
@Camerontocher, best get in there quick then Very Happy
ski holidays
If it was me, I'd wait for the Prizm Rose and not waste money on the next best thing. I've just got one for my canopy's and it's great, so much better than anything else I've tried lo to mid light. If you are wanting one to go away with depending on where you are off to the airport or a store in resort may be your best bet...the Oakley shop in Vail had loads last week!
snow conditions
Thanks for the heads up 'Richclark', i've got one on order ready for my trip next saturday!
snow report
I have just ordered some Persimmon for low light for my Canopys I can easily return them, would I be better off with Prizm rose instead?
snow report
From what people have said I would
snow report
This thread is proving to be expensive. I've been happy with my HI-Yellows for years, but following this thread I bought a set of Prizm rose for my Airbrakes. I'll let you know how I get on with them in a couple of weeks time, although with that said, I'm also hoping for bluebird days Very Happy
snow report
@RichClark, Three people, that performed an on slope comparison between my Rose Prizm goggles, verses anything between Oakley Hi Yellow, and Lidl specials, bought a pair that evening.
snow report
Oh crap Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
Was looking for some new goggles - Found some Oakley Flight Deck matte black with prizm rose lenses on a site called Zalando for £98 with free delivery. Quick search also found a 20% off code that brought price down to £78.40, which seems a very good price. Ordered Saturday afternoon, delivery driver knocked on my door at 8:30 this morning. Well pleased Very Happy
latest report
So to circle back on this - I used my new Oakley Prizm lenses over the last couple of weeks, both the grey iridium and the the rose. We had varying light throughout the ten days from beautiful sun to flat to full white-out.

Both Prizim lenses were great and I found that the Prizim lenses certainly gave better definition between my standard iridium fire and HI-Yellow lenses, but in all honesty, I'm not sure that the difference was a significant. Don't get me wrong, the Prizim lens is definitely better and I would buy Prizims if i was in the market for new goggles\lens but for me they don't justify the expense if you have a perfectly good set of lenses as i did.

Rich
snow report
I used my Prizm Rose (A Frame 2) in a week of blizzards in Tignes this year. Overall impressed and much better than my previous Persimmon. My son (amazingly) found he was OK in Prizm Black.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy