Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

When is a chalet not a chalet..?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Warning: If minor and ultimately inconsequential rants offend you then this thread isn't for you. Please go and read something else.

Chalet
noun
1. a wooden house with overhanging eaves, typically found in the Alps.

I've been looking for a self-catering chalet for a sneaky trip, and have found numerous properties marketed as "Chalet xxxxxxxxxx" which - on closer inspection - are actually apartments. Some of these "chalets" aren't even apartments within chalets - they are apartments in purpose built apartment blocks.

My observations to owners:
1. If your property is marketed as a self-catering chalet then I expect to be renting all of it, and I expect it it to exhibit the form factor commonly associated with a chalet.
2. If you stretch the truth in this way (even gently) it creates a bad impression that will stop me from renting your apartment. Even if it is a lovely apartment.

After careful consideration I have decided not to post a list of offending "chalets" in case I offend someone here on this excellent forum.

I mentioned this to my wife who observes that the same happens with villas in Spain and Portugal:

Villa
noun
1. (especially in continental Europe) a large and luxurious country house in its own grounds.

Apparently many properties marketed as "Villa xxxxxxxxxxxx" are also apartments or linked townhouses. Shared grounds, shared pool etc.

I would make the same observations.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@IanTr, Toofy Grin
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Been there. Literally. Grrrr
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@IanTr, well put!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You could argue that the large complexes with loads of "chalets" in are really Alpine Maisonettes.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
My apartment is in a Chalet.....
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I know what you mean - we have a large chalet (old, wooden eaves at the top etc. etc.) but one that has been converted into modern apartments and we very much market ourselves as individual apartments or somewhere that big groups (corporate, weddings, big birthdays etc) can rent out the whole chalet of apartments . Sometimes agents group email us with "Client x wanting self-catered/catered chalet" and we never bother to reply because it's so obvious that we're not what their clients want. That said, there's a big old building here in the mountains that is not luxurious (it's exclusively reserved for the use of school groups) and doesn't have "grounds" but all the locals call it "the villa". And on most tours the "huts" are nothing like:

noun
a small or humble dwelling of simple construction, especially one made of natural materials, as of logs or grass.
a simple roofed shelter, often with one or two sides left open.

And thank heavens for that! I've been very grateful to arrive after an exhausting day in the mountains at the high-tech, super-modern, "huts"!

It's funny how the reverse happens to us though - people wanting to book "chalet 8" or "chalet 3" or whatever... it's fine as we know what they mean (we are incredibly clear about what we offer and literally have a photo of every single room, in every single apartment, in our chalet on the website because I don't want to be dealing with someone saying "this is not what I was expecting" in a negative way) but we always reply saying, "yes we have availability in apartment 8 etc."
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Marketing is a tricky business.

Very few owners really want to purposely misrepresent their property and deal with the complains that's to follow. But they also want to have the MAXIMUM VISIBILITY.

Not every property owner managed to find that fine balance. Hence the feeling of misrepresentation.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
boredsurfin wrote:
My apartment is in a Chalet.....

and mine.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes: lots of catered chalets are actually apartments but it's always made clear in the description.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jehu wrote:
Yes: lots of catered chalets are actually apartments but it's always made clear in the description.

Of course it is....
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hmmm.....

How about a property whose principal marketed identity is "Chalet Xxxxxxxxxxxx" that is actually one of about 40 discrete apartments in a condominium development known as "Les Chalets de la Xxxxxxxxxxxx"?

Alongside the headline misrepresentation of an apartment as a chalet (to be fair this is qualified in the copy), there are two subtle sophistries to enjoy here:
1. De-pluralisation from the dropping of "Les" and "de la" - this is standard marketing fare; something unique is always better than something of which there are many
2. The ensuing careful appropriation of the collective identity so it can be applied singularly

There's something slightly Gareth Keenan about this.

Looks like a high quality development with good apartments. Probably a great place to stay for a skiing or summer mountain holiday.

But it is not a chalet.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
But they got your attention, didn't they? Wink

Others might not be as principle as you. And they might book one of those "high quality apartments". Marketing mission accomplished. Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy