Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to Meribel - Feedback anyone?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

I'm planning to drive down to Meribel in March - midweek arrival - and wondered if anyone's made this trip and what top tips you would offer?

Also, would an MX5 make it? My hunch is with snow chains it absolutely would as I understand the roads up to Meribel to be very well maintained and cleared regularly. Other vehicle options available but if the Mazda's got any chance of making it then I'll take it.

Any input guys?

Thanks,
Dan
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My family made this drive for years and I always really enjoyed it (being on the way to the Alps help!). The main points are to avoid Paris (go via Reims) and Lyon central (there is a by-pass to avoid the centre). From memory the route we always took was Calais>Reims>Troyes>Dijon>Lyon>Chambery>Meribel.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@IamDanKeeley, The chances are that the roads will be clear and you will be absoilutely fine. No problems at all. Winter tyres would be nice to have but you will probably be fine without. What I would certainly do is (before the ascent) to make sure the fuel tank is kept full and you have plenty of weight in the boot. If this was the UK then I'd suggest loading four sandbags into the boot, but it would be a bit daft lugging them all the way down to the Alps! If you have snow chains and some weight over the driving wheels then you should be OK in all but the very deepest of snow. Personally, I'd take the MX5 and enjoy yourself.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@IamDanKeeley, Correct me if I am wrong, but the only problem I can see with an MX5 is getting your skis either in it or on it. You may need snow chains and odd as it may seem I have needed them more for the climb upto Les Arcs at Easter than at any other time of year so buy some chains and practice putting them on.

The road upto Meribel is well maintained and the ploughs will keep it as clear as possible.

If I could work out how to carry my skis I would have no hesitation in using an MX5
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@SFR_, @IamDanKeeley, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Which Mx-5 is it?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
johnE wrote:
@IamDanKeeley, Correct me if I am wrong, but the only problem I can see with an MX5 is getting your skis either in it or on it. You may need snow chains and odd as it may seem I have needed them more for the climb upto Les Arcs at Easter than at any other time of year so buy some chains and practice putting them on.

The road upto Meribel is well maintained and the ploughs will keep it as clear as possible.

If I could work out how to carry my skis I would have no hesitation in using an MX5

Cant see that the OP mentioned taking skis and if he does intend am sure he knows the limitation of an MX5

But spot on advice in needing to practice putting the chains on before hand. An icy cold uphill road maybe in the dark is not the place to learn!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Awesome feedback everyone, thank you.

And yes, the MX5 look's gorgeous with my Ski's joining me diagonally up from the footwell to just behind the passenger headrest (a snug fit for sure but they fit beautifully).

This is great guys, thank you.
DK
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@IamDanKeeley, do you know exactly where in Meribel you will be going to? In March, the main access roads should be clear unless you're unlucky but there's still likely to be an ice base on some side roads and chalet access roads, especially in the higher areas. Some of these can be quite steep.

I'm assuming you'll be on summer tyres so if you are in an awkward place it'll be a right faff having to put chains on for a 100m or so every now and then. You might want to consider snowsocks instead of chains - they're not as hard wearing but they're much quicker and easier to put on and off for short distances.

Another option would be to park in one of the lower car parks for the week and get a taxi to your accommodation.

Also, try to make sure you arrive and leave in daylight. The freezing level will still be low enough at night to form black ice but there won't be much if any during the daytime.

Should be a fun drive! Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
What raceplate means is that the access roads should be clear unless you are lucky. its not at all unusual to have heavy snowfall in March. Even as low wink as Meribel. And wet, slushy snow is more likely to give problems with traction.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Great feedback guys, than you.

It's a 2007 MX5 and yes, snowsocks seem like a good option for sure.

I'd be able to leave the car down the valley, so that's definitely an option, and it sounds like the roads/motorways to get within 10 miles are great.

Staying in Meribel Motteret so like you say, it may just be that last stretch, but hey, I like a challenge and worse comes to worse I'll leave the car down the valley.

Thanks everyone. Any more tips all very welcome.
DK
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@IamDanKeeley, Mottaret is definitely pushing it. You can probably get into the centre OK but as soon as you leave the main road you'll be stuffed. There's a car park through the tunnel near the Plattieres lift that is relatively flat - I'd dump your car there and get a taxi to your accommodation. If you're in P&V accommodation, it's walking distance from there anyway.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Much appreciated Raceplate!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Why would it be so difficult getting to Mottaret? Surely an even moderately competent car, with good chains, would have no great difficulty?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mx-5 good work ! I'd love to take my mk1 to the Alps, God knows how I would get my skis in it Shocked
snow conditions
They are normally pretty good at clearing the roads all the way up to the top of Mottaret. We rarely had to use chains and we stayed at the top of Le Chatelet in Mottaret. Unless it has snowed in the past day I would think you will be fine getting in.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Why would it be so difficult getting to Mottaret? Surely an even moderately competent car, with good chains, would have no great difficulty?
Who said it would be difficult? I said it would be difficult to get off the main roads once you're there. The car parks on the right near the chalet lift never seem to get cleared. He's in a rear wheel drive lightweight car on summer tyres. That wouldn't move 10m up there without chains. Putting chains on and off every 100m is a right ar*e and leaving them on on hard tarmac risks destroying your paintwork when they snap.

Same risk applies when driving up the main road, which will most likely have no snow on it in March but may have black ice at 1750m rather than Meribel's 1450m. So, put the chains on and wait for them to snap or leave them off and wait to slide off the hairpins? Decisions, decisions!
snow report
An MX-5 is never going to lug a huge amount of luggage so why not drive to Moutiers, park up, have a beer and get the excellent bus up the hill?
snow report
All great feedback guys.

Higs - that may well be an option. I've heard the buses up to Meribel from there are pretty efficient.

Ive got my colleagues joining me out there also who have a vehicle so worst comes to worst I'll park lower down and jump in with them.

Cheers guys,
DK
snow conditions
@Raceplate, yes, the decision when to take chais OFF is as difficult as the decision to put them ON. However, I have sometimes driven on tarmac with chains, when I know I shall soon encounter another clogged side road. Always take it easy - and never for huge distances - but I have yet to experience chains breaking. I do have better than the £19.99 supermarket ones, though.
latest report
pam w wrote:
@Raceplate, yes, the decision when to take chais OFF is as difficult as the decision to put them ON. However, I have sometimes driven on tarmac with chains, when I know I shall soon encounter another clogged side road. Always take it easy - and never for huge distances - but I have yet to experience chains breaking. I do have better than the £19.99 supermarket ones, though.

No offence but I've done 2 seasons as a driver in the Alps and I've seen loads of chains snap. They weren't cheap ones either. FWIW, my very experienced Manager (12 seasons back-to-back!) in one resort would not buy any other brand than Konig. For an average punter though, Konig chains are crazy money for something they may never use.
latest report
Currently in Meribel and its still snowing. Main roads clear but not all side roads. Plenty of places to leave a car lower down but even getting to Les Allues can be difficult if it snows heavily at any time in the season. They are usually good at keeping the main road clear but it can take a while in heavy snow. A few years ago we had to put the chains on to get up (just beside the dump site below Les Allues) and they were on for the full 2 weeks we were here. One snapped on the last day! We have winter tyres which usually get us around without chains.
snow report
Forgive me it I'm wrong but is it not illegal 'not' to have chains at least on you, when in the alps in France...???? Maybe I have dreamt that...

I'm driving to Meribel next Friday, in a Land Rover Defender (if it makes it Very Happy ) and I'm even taking snow socks with me... The police will often not even allow you up the hill without them...
snow report
AlpineAddict wrote:
I'm driving to Meribel next Friday, in a Land Rover Defender (if it makes it Very Happy )

Great car going uphill in the Alps. Definitely needs winter tyres going downhill...
ski holidays
Raceplate wrote:
AlpineAddict wrote:
I'm driving to Meribel next Friday, in a Land Rover Defender (if it makes it Very Happy )

Great car going uphill in the Alps. Definitely needs winter tyres going downhill...
Indeed, great car going uphill in the Alps (with the right tyres/chains/socks. The usual Defender tyres will be pretty rubbish). It won't be quite so much fun for the previous 800 miles getting there in the first place though. I love Defenders and have driven them all over the world, but motorway cruisers they ain't!
latest report
The gendarmes insist on chains for 4 x 4s, when conditions are bad, unless they are equipped with good (ie plenty of tread) winter tyres.

Actually, my Vauxhall Zafira is a perfectly competent vehicle going up (and down) hills in the Alps. On roads, that is. Absolutely pants on stoney mountain tracks. wink
ski holidays
sorry, probably OK with snow socks - don't want to re-run that one!

But wouldn't a Defender look a bit of a pansy in snow socks? wink
latest report
@pam w, haha... Cheeky Smile Well it is the difference of about £100 between chains and socks... and tbh, I change my bloody cars so much my chain boxes are stacking up in the loft now... What do you do with now chains that you've used a couple of times and then they don't fit your new car ...?!??!?!?? Sad

@foxtrotzulu, if I'm honest, I am not looking forward to the previous miles, getting me to the alps... however, I do have some new BF goodrich all terrain tyres on so will be a match for any winter tyre... Smile

The socks are purely for legal purposes and am hoping not to actually need them... Although looking at the snow conditions for the next 7-10 days, who knows...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
AlpineAddict wrote:
I do have some new BF goodrich all terrain tyres on so will be a match for any winter tyre... Smile

I doubt that seeing as BF Goodrich class them as summer tyres and they've got no winter sipes on them....

You'd better get used to fitting those socks Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Actually, I have just checked... £300 for chains... £70 for socks... No brainer... Smile
latest report
Whether you opt for chains or socks, do practice putting them on beforehand.
latest report
@Peterkct, agreed... My first attempt was in the rain and it took me an hour... More than happy putting them on now...
latest report
AlpineAddict wrote:
@pam w, haha... Cheeky Smile Well it is the difference of about £100 between chains and socks... and tbh, I change my bloody cars so much my chain boxes are stacking up in the loft now... What do you do with now chains that you've used a couple of times and then they don't fit your new car ...?!??!?!?? Sad

@foxtrotzulu, if I'm honest, I am not looking forward to the previous miles, getting me to the alps... however, I do have some new BF goodrich all terrain tyres on so will be a match for any winter tyre... Smile

The socks are purely for legal purposes and am hoping not to actually need them... Although looking at the snow conditions for the next 7-10 days, who knows...

From my limited knowledge of these things I would have thought that BF Goodrich was just about the worst tyre you could have for packed snow and ice. They might be OK in a foot of powder, but otherwise I'm not sure. Having tried and failed to find off-road tyres that are winter rated I discovered that the characteristics you need are almost diametrically opposed. Winter tyres are soft, plenty of road contact, with narrow sipes to collect and grip the snow. Off-road tyres are harder than usual, have reduced road contact because of the big blocky tread, no sipes, and the tread block gaps are too big to collect the snow.

We have General Grabbers on a Disco3 and while they are great tyres, they aren't amazing on packed snow/ice.

I know this is a Suzuki, not a LR, but just look at the tyres on a flat surface.
http://youtube.com/v/BC9FEiR5EhE
snow conditions
Well bloody hell... That just shows how much I know Smile There I am thinking I have just the ticket... Oh well... Best get used to the socks then Smile
snow conditions
@AlpineAddict, a friend of mine has always used BFG AT tyres and never had any problems with them, firstly on a Jeep cherokee (similar transmission and capability as defender) and now on a merc ML.

They'll get the best performance by running them at lowest end of pressures for road use as you're really after tyre flexibility and probably down around 22/24 psi is realistic for lower speed running around the mountains.

I was talking to someone who lived up in VT about driving around there in the winter (they were still lamenting the days when most of them used the original Fiat panda 4x4 to get around) and his advice was with a 4x4 to use chains on the front wheels going up and rear wheels when going down.
snow conditions
@ski3, Thx for this Smile Great advice...

I too have been reading about BFG tyres and they do say the All-Terrain are 'all terrain' (incl snow)...
snow conditions
@AlpineAddict, we took an old Range Rover down last year for the first time which has a comparable transmission to yours I believe, also probably same size and requirement for tyres.
It'll be 25yrs old this year when we take it down there in march, it was good fun and the kids really enjoyed it. No real snow on the roads last March so didn't get to see any capability or use the chains we bought (paid £90 for a decent set to fit) for 255/65 R16 tyres.
I think it's good to see some different cars make the trip, it's all part of the adventure.
snow report
@AlpineAddict, Quite a few tyres are rated as 'mud and snow', but nobody puts much store in the 'snow' bit. I was think img about the Goodrich MTs, so the AT's might well be better. A lot of it depends upon the surface. Deep fresh snow is likely to be OK as the tyres can dig in and grip. Snow polished by the passage of a few cars might not be. With 4WD and those tyres I'm guessing you will be better off than a typical car in summer tyres, but don't imagine they will be half as good as winters. Especially when descending a slope - 4WD obviously makes no difference at all in this case.

I understand the logic of chains on front for ascending,and chains on rear for descending, but check the user manual. Many LRs suggest ONLY using them on the rear. This was from the manual if a 300TDi Defender:

"Chains may be fitted to provide increased traction during extremely adverse heavy snow conditions. Never fit chains to one wheel only, always fit snow chains in pairs to the rear axle only, and ensure the gearbox differential control is in the LOCKED position. Remove the snow chains immediately the road is clear of snow"

On Discos and RRs they only have a viscous coupling on the front. All too techy for me.
snow report
Hi Folks,

I was originally considering renting a car and driving to Meribel Mottaret next Thursday night from Lyon but my arrival time is circa 2am but there seems to be snow on the way. Can anyone experience doing it advise me please. I assume the roads are fine now but would driving late at night in snow be a risk?

Any advise appreciated.
snow report
Quote:

there seems to be snow on the way.

Lucky old you. If there was a lot of snow you might have problems as more minor roads will not be ploughed at that time of night. But provided you have snow chains (a rental car from Lyon is unlikely to have winter tyres) you should be fine.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy