Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stopover near Dijon with restaurant

Poster: A snowHead
Howdi all. We are driving to Les Arcs (from Belgium) on Friday 5 February. I am trying to find a hotel somewhere near Dijon. Our wish list? - not too far from the motorway (A31 I think). Normally we stay in a Formula 1 and dont even pre-book but on this occasion, my other half is celebrating a fairly significant birthday (50!) and he already feels hard done by that he has to drive on his special day! So we would like to be somewhere where there is a bar/restaurant on-site or within walking distance. We aim to arrive by 20h00. Not terribly keen on B&Bs but will consider. Thanks very much y'all!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Apologies if I posted this question in the wrong forum.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@kearnsh, You are keen as mustard.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We had a comfortable night at a sensible price in the Ibis in the centre of town a couple of weeks ago. Park underground there and there are literally loads of restaurants just down the road in easy walking distance, seemed pretty secure when we stayed, they close the garage doors overnight.

No shortage of restaurants in town, loads of really nice places if you want proper dinner (but will have a price tag to match) for birthday. I'd suggest booking as it is Friday night and quite a few places were pretty busy when we wandered through.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks Digger! I was kind of trying to avoid going into a city but I will definitely check it out. Much appreciated!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@kearnsh, it isn't far off the motorway to Dijon, so not a major detour to stop in the middle. Quite a few other hotels, we only needed a bed for the night for cheap but if you have time to go through Google there will be deals in some of the big chains I suspect and might get something a bit more upmarket than the Ibis if you have a search.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@kearnsh, we stayed at the Hotel Wilson just outside of the city centre a couple of years ago. There is a very very good restaurant next door, but it isn't cheap.

http://www.wilson-hotel.com/en/

and

http://www.restaurantstephanederbord.fr/fr/

Can sometimes book a package deal for both through the hotel, but be aware that you do still have to pay your dinner bill at the restaurant before you leave Embarassed Embarassed
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Novotel Dijon sud meets your requirements. Near motorway and has onsite restaurant. The rooms can vary so ask for a refurbished one when you book. If you are used to F1 it will be better than that!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@kearnsh, absolutely, have a look at:

http://www.olivier-leflaive.com

We stayed here last summer on the way back from southern France and it was absolutely brilliant. It's a wine grower's house converted to hotel and restaurant, in a small village in the midst of Burgundy, not far from the motorway and will have just re-opened after a winter break.

For a special occasion, the set menu and a wine flight would get you right back in the good books. The service was delightfully informal and the staff were great. :0)

We stayed in the suite soleil, which was top notch and very spacious.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Digger the dinosaur wrote:
We had a comfortable night at a sensible price in the Ibis in the centre of town a couple of weeks ago. Park underground there and there are literally loads of restaurants just down the road in easy walking distance, seemed pretty secure when we stayed, they close the garage doors overnight.

No shortage of restaurants in town, loads of really nice places if you want proper dinner (but will have a price tag to match) for birthday. I'd suggest booking as it is Friday night and quite a few places were pretty busy when we wandered through.

Thanks for that! It looks the ticket. My only concern is the car park. Someone mentioned in a tripadvisor review that they couldnt access it with a roof box. Which would be a concern! I will call the hotel to double check...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hells Bells wrote:
@kearnsh, we stayed at the Hotel Wilson just outside of the city centre a couple of years ago. There is a very very good restaurant next door, but it isn't cheap.

http://www.wilson-hotel.com/en/

and

http://www.restaurantstephanederbord.fr/fr/

Can sometimes book a package deal for both through the hotel, but be aware that you do still have to pay your dinner bill at the restaurant before you leave Embarassed Embarassed

That looks good! And they have a family room available for not much more than the IBIS or Campanile are charging. Its on the shortlist!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@kearnsh, there a other restaurants in walking distance and some lovely ones in the square about 5 minutes walk away, and after all it is a special occasion.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowymum wrote:
Novotel Dijon sud meets your requirements. Near motorway and has onsite restaurant. The rooms can vary so ask for a refurbished one when you book. If you are used to F1 it will be better than that!

Thanks! We have stayed in that very same hotel several times and it fits our needs well. It would be perfect. However, it is already fully booked on the date in question! Its half term in Belgium and a popular stop-off point for people travelling from the low countries...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
twodogs wrote:
@kearnsh, absolutely, have a look at:

http://www.olivier-leflaive.com

We stayed here last summer on the way back from southern France and it was absolutely brilliant. It's a wine grower's house converted to hotel and restaurant, in a small village in the midst of Burgundy, not far from the motorway and will have just re-opened after a winter break.

For a special occasion, the set menu and a wine flight would get you right back in the good books. The service was delightfully informal and the staff were great. :0)

We stayed in the suite soleil, which was top notch and very spacious.

What a gorgeous place! I dont mind paying a bit, but not sure that its worth shelling out nearly £400 when we have to leave early the next morning and we have our teenagers in tow. Now if only I could hatch a plan to drop them at a Formula 1 down the road, preferably with a McDonalds next door... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@twodogs, we stayed there last summer, it was gorgeous.
ski holidays
I am brand new to snowheads. As you have all been so terribly helpful, perhaps I could bother you with another question.

On what forum could I post the question "nearing middle age, out of shape woman, terrified, skis every year but not improving, prefers to stick to blue and red slopes wants to know if taking shorter skis might be easier to manage and help her confidence on the slopes." We are going to Les Arcs 1950 for about the 5th time. I love it and am happy to just pootle around for an hour or two on the easy slopes, to spend plenty of time reading, in the spa, drinking coffee and wine and preparing nice meals for the gang in the evening. I am excellent at après skiing! But more seriously, I know that my lack of skills and confidence is holding me (and my family and the rest of the group) back from some great days on the mountains. I know that I should take some more lessons (and probably will do) but do you think taking shorter skis might help? If this should be on another forum topic, pleaes let me know where I should post it! Merci beaucoup to you all!
snow report
@kearnsh, why not post it in The Piste section? What length are your skis?
snow conditions
I have boots but not skis. I rent them at destination. thanks for the tip. I will re-post in The Piste section.
snow conditions
Hells Bells wrote:
@twodogs, we stayed there last summer, it was gorgeous.

Good on you, Hells Bells! we chose it because we'd rented a narrow boat on the Canal du Midi and I was adamant that I wanted a decent bath/shower on the way home after seven days on a boat (and I'm a bloke).

kearnsh wrote:
@twodogs, we have our teenagers in tow

Ah, in which case...! :0)
ski holidays
@kearnsh, Did you check if the Novotel in Beaune had any space? That is ok too and rooms better from what I recall. From there you take the A6 for a short distance and then cut across on the A40 back to bourg en bresse, then south.

I'm not an expert on skis but I doubt it is ski length that is your problem. I'd book yourself a few private lessons and maybe invest in your own skis if you self drive. I bought some K2 rocker skis a few years ago which are longer than skis I used to hire (due to the technology associated with them which passed me by as it was all in French!) and I've been very pleased with them.
latest report
Get a good value hotel on the outskirts, drive in and find a resaurant - there are plenty, and wander around one of the most beautiful cities in Europe at night for a a while before continuing your journey. We've stopped for an overnighter at Dijon many times nad it's one of the highlights of the week.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/france/degustation-in-dijon/2007/06/21/1182019266868.html
snow report
@cameronphillips2000, I really can't be bothered to drive into town for dinner after a long day on the road, and I suspect OP's hubby will feel the same. My hotel either needs to be there already, or there should be a decent place to eat in the hotel I am staying in.
snow report
Hells Bells wrote:
@cameronphillips2000, I really can't be bothered to drive into town for dinner after a long day on the road, and I suspect OP's hubby will feel the same. My hotel either needs to be there already, or there should be a decent place to eat in the hotel I am staying in.

Yep, know how you feel. The great thing about Dijon though is that it's next to the autoroute and most of the hotels are on the town side of the motorway. It's then a very short drive in for a bite and wander at night.
snow conditions
Or even a walk, as I prefer a glass or two of wine with my dinner to water.
latest report
You could try the "Dijon Est - Mirande" Kyriad hotel.
"Mr Skiinghamster" and I spent two nights there 1-3rd January on our way to the Aosta valley. Its a small chain, nowhere near the size of the Accor group (Ibis/Mercure/Novotel etc). We found it on Booking.com but they do have their own website too.
Its not super posh, but is comfortable and has a restauarant on site with a nice selection of meals and a very good value menu du jour. Its only about 5 min off the motorway and right next to a tramstop that will take you into town simply and cheaply (about E3 each return).
It also has ample on site parking and we felt quite safe leaving our skis and other kit in the car overnight.
ski holidays
Closer to Troyes than Dijon but the best restaurant/hotel I've stayed in is Le Val Moret. It's literally two minutes from the autoroute exit and while the room we had in a barn conversion was reasonably priced the restaurant has a range of price options and does seriously good food. Being in the middle of Champagne means the wine list is none too shabby either.

http://www.le-val-moret.com/en/map.html
ski holidays
@Valkyrie, it is indeed the most convenient of hotels on paper, but for us, it is completely in the wrong place for our journey timings and I've had far far better and cheaper food elsewhere. Our room was freezing, son was at the other end of the grounds and the car park was a skating rink, which is a problem in winter when you have to cross it to get to dinner. We didn't go to the spa as it was too treacherous. Perhaps we just got a bad night, but I've never felt the need to go back. I didn't quite get why people thought it to be so good.
snow report
We headed into Dijon one very cold night because of freezing fog on the motorway. Found a central hotel easily enough (French towns always have hotels signposted, with their star numbers) and asked the hotel for a restaurant recommendation, which was excellent and inexpensive. Dijon has loads of hotels (2 stars sere our choice) and loads of restaurants. Unless you are travelling at a specially busy time you don't really need to book ahead. I entirely agree that I'd not want to drive to dinner. It's well worth staying central and having a bit of a walk around.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We stayed here last week, http://www.le-saintgeorges.fr/?lang=en the rooms were great and the restaurant was fantastic. It's 45 mins further on from Dijon though.
snow report
Thanks very much to you ALL for your time and helpful advice! Although I had originally ruled out the possibilty of going into a town, I now realise that it would not be too inconvenient nor time-consuming. I have looked into all the options you suggested. Ultimately, I found a new Holiday Inn Express between the motorway and town centre. it has excellent reviews and, by cheekily signing up to the Holiday Inn Rewards Club, I got an extra 10% of the price. There is a late bar, restaurants on the doorstep, free secure parking and breakfast included. Cant ask for more! So thats sorted! Thanks again!
ski holidays
@kearnsh, good one.
latest report
Good choice - stayed there at New Year - ate at the restaurant next door - French chain but good quality meat - 15% discount if staying at the HIEx - also a chain fish restaurant & Quick burger drive through close by
snow conditions
Holiday inn express, fairly new and cheap as chips
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy