Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Accomodation needed Feb half term

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Not sure if this is in the right forum (or even allowed) but I'm looking for some accommodation for this Feb half term (13th-20th or 14th-21st). We are a family of 2 adults and 4 kids. Flexible on location / resort but needs to be close to lifts for the kids. Feel free to PM me.

Mods please feel free to move / delete if inappropriate Shocked

Thanks

Jon
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Which country? Any? Have u got flights booked? If so, where to?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Peak retreats sent me an email, they are very good if you want to drive.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@jonathancarty, if you have any specific requirements that other folk also have you'll be lucky at this stage to satisfy them. Our apartments are typically booked for half term either on departure or in the few weeks immediately thereafter these days. Not a few weeks before.

homeaway.com, holidaylettings.com, abritel.fr, booking.com
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks guys,

We will be driving unless we find a stupidly cheap package deal.

As I say we're fairly flexible, France preferred but will consider anything. I'll check out Peak Retreats and the other sites.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@jonathancarty, despite my earlier comment, as I thought, France looks pretty tricky. But there seems to be a bit around Aoste (e.g. Cervinia / Valtournenche) https://www.homeaway.com/search/refined/france/rhone-alps/region:367/Amenities:internet+access/Amenities:washing+machine/Leisure+Activities:skiing/Location+Type:mountain/Suitability:children+welcome/arrival:2016-02-13/departure:2016-02-20/minSleeps/4/@45.84574697573659,7.578843002343774,45.929866209047624,7.688706283593774,12z?view=l##spu=trips-6354926-1966617

That one's too small but if you have the car so you can drive to the lifts, that opens things up.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was looking at this as recently as last week. Lots of smaller resorts/ski areas in Italy and Austria have availability. I was looking at the lower end of the budget as this was going to be a very cheeky and as cheap as possible extra few days away (decided against it in the end as I have too much to do at home unfortunately).

We were looking at flying out - Treviso, Trieste, Memmingen, Milan, Ljubjana and Bergamo all had reasonable flights especially if you don't need to fly Sat-Sat (we were looking at Sun-Thurs). It would then be a case of hiring a car to get where ever you chose.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For six of us it seems to make for sense to drive, reckon I can do it for around £500 and not sure I'll be able to get flights and transfers / hire car for anywhere near that. Waiting on a couple of replies from homeaway.......
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We are the same. Missed the easyjet flights when they came out & they were stupid money when I looked, so we are driving.
A little tip that has got us cheap accommodation the last 2 years (eg this year apt for 6 in Flaine for half term £500). Have a look at a few resorts & see if there is a facebook group (eg Friends of Flaine) & join that. Post in the group asking about accommodation - you may come across some owners who don't let there apartments commercially but now & again to help cover costs.
Oh don't forget to get a widget for the tolls - its so much easier
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If your kids are beginner - intermediate skiers, I had great luck with cheap skiing at St. Jean D'aulps. Not a super big place, but great fun.

It was few years back, but I got an apartment about 100 meters from the gondola, indoor swimming pool, 3 bedrooms, and paid less than 800 EUR, during half term... two years running.

Found it on media vacance, but it was through a local agent in La Grand Terche. Morzine is a 20 min drive if you wanted to break it up, but when my kids were like 8 and 9, and ESF bronze star level - it was fun for a week.

Family ski pass deal, turned out to be 500 EUR for 6 of us, as I recall. The smaller places are going to be cheaper all the way around. It's about an hours drive from Geneva, you pass by Les Gets and Morzine, and then it's St. Jean D'aulps - be sure to stay at the ski station, not in the village though
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@jonathancarty, fair enough. Not saying you won't find accomm in France, but if you don't mind a longer drive Austria and Italy would leave more availability - check out Snowtrex and similar sites.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@jonathancarty, +1 for self drive with Peak Retreats. We have used them for many years and would highly recommend them. You could also look at their subsidiary Ski Collection.

If you have any flexibility over dates you will get a much cheaper deal at Easter - somewhere like Peisey Vallandry (Les Arcs) with access to skiing at a decent altitude.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I had an e mail at the weekend from peak retreats . They have a group cancellation at chalet du Gypse in st Martin de Belleville at the half term and now have apartments available at a discount. Worth a call to them.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snowtrex might be worth a look too - I just had a quick scan on it for 6 people for the half term week and it came up with La Joue du Loup for £222 each self catering with a lift pass included.

I've stayed in Joue du Loup once, actually at the self-catering bit I'm speaking of, and it was ok for a week or so - not giant (100kms or so of pistes if you measure it that way), but very good value.

Only note of caution is that they've not had a very good season so far (what a surprise) so it looks like they only have 20 pistes open at the moment.

There's loads of other options available for that week too, some of them even cheaper than that, so definitely worth a look I would say.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Can't do Easter I'm afraid, it's Feb half term or nothing this year. Waiting to hear back from Peak Retreats but looking at their website I suspect an independent booking with an apartment owner is going to be cheaper.
snow report
@jonathancarty, have you tried airbnb?
snow conditions
jonathancarty wrote:
Can't do Easter I'm afraid, it's Feb half term or nothing this year. Waiting to hear back from Peak Retreats but looking at their website I suspect an independent booking with an apartment owner is going to be cheaper.

It probably will be. Also iirc I think it was Peak Retreats who told me somewhere was full and I then managed to book it direct (and for less money). Have you tried individual resort accomodation search engines?
snow report
@jonathancarty, suggest you do a post on Chalets Direct - requests for half term are still coming in and getting responses from French chalets and apartments. We also book out a year in advance but you do occasionally get cancellations due to family illness/new job requirements/injury etc. so there's always a chance, no matter how late you look. We have taken a last minute booking the week before half term for this reason as we would always try to resell the week (very easy to do so for half term in any case) and reimburse the cancellation, even though it should be covered by travel insurance.
latest report
Quote:

@jonathancarty, have you tried airbnb?

I have indeed, some lovely properties but surprisingly generally more expensive than ownersdirect etc.
snow conditions
@jonathancarty, try this search:

http://www.mediavacances.com/locations-vacances-saint-jean-d-aulps-la-grande-terche/0006469000/?date1=2016-02-13&date2=2016-02-20
snow conditions
Try the resort accommodation agencies, especially those not so popular with the british. Even in Meribel an apartment for 6 can be found for around 2000 euro
snow conditions
Thanks all.

Managed to coerce another couple into our nefarious plan and have booked an 8 person apartment in Les Menuires (found on homeaway) though LVH Vacances in Chambery who I have to say have been really great. Ferries booked (Eurotunnel completely full from 1000hrs Friday 12th to 1300hrs Saturday 13th), just have to stock up on sleep for the long drive down

Now I'm off to obsessively monitor the weather outlook thread.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy