Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Corvara - resort tips and cheapest airport

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, I have priced up a DIY holiday for next half term to Champoluc as flights to Bergamo are still cheap when I look at prices for this half term (to get an idea), but the area is probably not so suitable for others in the party (needing lots of easy blues).

We are also looking at Corvara (which looks ideal) and I have found plenty of info on the search function, however I wanted to know if there are any airports that are more competitively priced like Bergamo. I've searched Innsbruck and Treviso from London airports (all I can do is search for this half term to get an idea).

Also does anyone have any tips for staying in Corvara, that are not easily found by searching the forum? What I mean by this, is I can easily find info on best hotel location etc etc, but any advice on info about Corvara/access to ski areas/ski buses/best areas to ski etc etc from people who have been there.

We consist of 2 families. 5 of us will ski the Sella Ronda and Arabba and Selva and the other 2 will probably stay in Corvara.

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Easyjet from several airports to Venice Marco Polo

I've stayed in Arabba twice and in March staying in Corvara ....can't wait.. Corvara is directly on the Sella Ronda so perfect for those wanting to do the round trip. Skiing is generally not too difficult and the local area is mainly blues and a few reds so ideal for those who may not be up to the whole SR circuit. Stunning scenery, great mountain food and hospitable locals, you would not regret choosing this area. Non experts can easily get over to Arabba or Selva/Val Gardena broadening choice

Can't really comment on local buses as the Dolomite superski pass covers a huge area so never needed them but I think the local bus network is good. Corvara is relatively small so not a lot to do if there are non skiers in the group
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheapest way to get there by air is Ryanair to Treviso though flights will be above their usual £30ers at half term.
flights from stansted. BA go to Marco Polo. You can also fly to Verona or innsrbruck which is the closest.
The train goes from Treviso up to Belluno where you can get the dolomiti bus across. hiring a car is the best way if you are a family. -they come winterised by law in Venetio.
Corvara is lovely it's hard to find poor accomodation due to the nature of the resort. You also won't find really cheap accomodation San Cassiano is just as nice and quieter being not on the Sella Ronda. Corvara is perfect for your group as there are lots of lovely blues and Arabba is just around the corner which has some very serious skiing.
There are lots of pages one here on accomadation in corvara/San Cassiano if you do a search.
Booking.com will probably be your friend.
the Great war ring is a fabulous adventure and pretty easy skiing too. I prefer it to doing the Ronda. Much quieter and you get a ride on two local buses trundling through the valley and up the pass to Cinque Torri which is a magical little place before skiing the hidden valley and getting a horse drawn lift back.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Innsbruck is closest - car hire or taxi easiest, or get train to fortezza and arrange taxi to pick you up from there. Verona not much further (and usually cheaper flights). Treviso and Marco Polo also reasonable distance. Hotel can recommend taxis - for a group your size, a minibus taxi may well be easiest and not too pricey.

One year we tacked on an additional night in Venice at the end of the week (left Corvara Sat am, stayed in Venice Sat night and flew out of Venice Sunday evening - the cheaper flights on Sunday nearly made up the cost of the hotel for a night!) - made for a very nice end to the trip - Venice was lovely and quiet in February and hotels were cheap. Left bags in the airport and jumped on a water taxi.

We also did it from Bergamo one year due to flight costs - about 3.5 hours, so manageable but a bit of a slog. There is a small airport at Bolzano - you would have to fly to Rome and change - never done this, but it is very close by.

Would recommend Hotel Arkadia - best location in Corvara for access to the slopes, but gets booked up early. Col Alto hotel looks nice, but a bit further from the slopes.

If Corvara is proving expensive, try La Villa - just over the hill. Smaller and a little quieter than Corvara, but nice. There are a couple of hotels right by the gondola station (we stayed in the Savoy, which was nice, but there are others), and this is likely to be a bit cheaper. Easy access straight into the Corvara/San Cassiano ski area, and also the other side out to Santa Croce, which is a nice trip worth doing one day (beautiful little church at the top of the mountain, with a great restaurant next to it) - your 2 "careful" skiers would also be able to do this trip. Choice of black or tough red or long blue track back to La Villa or can download easily on the gondola (the best Apres joint in the area is at the top station of the gondola). Sella Ronda easily accessible in either direction from here too.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Below is a link to a detailed trip report I done last year after staying in Corvara:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=118356

Some points to add in addition to the excellent replies already posted:

1. Another possibly cheaper option is to stay in Colfosco, which again is directly on the Sella Ronda circuit. The learner slopes here are much better than in Corvara, being wide and nearly flat. There are also several other slopes with slight increase in steepness that you can progress onto.
2. If you fly into or out of Venice airports, there is a transfer service to and from Corvara/La Villa/San Cassiano/Colfosco. See link below for timetable. Just be aware that if your outbound flight doesn’t tie in with the transfer times or is late, then you may have a long wait for the next transfer. As there are quite a few of you, I would personally pre book a private transfer both ways. It will just make it so much easier and quicker.

http://www.cortinaexpress.it/?lang=e

3. The ski bus in Corvara runs fairly frequently and has stops along the main street and several stops in the area above the village where the hotels Sassongher, Gran Fanes and Greif (and several others) are located. The bus doesn’t stop directly at the Col Alto gondola station but instead stops at the top of the main street from where you alight and walk to this gondola (only 2-3 minutes away). The bus then continues and stops right at the Boe & Borest gondola stations.

4. If your looking to book for half term then book early. Corvara is a very popular place to stay even in low season.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
As others have said, search (e.g. on SkyScanner) for Innsbruck, Venice, Verona and Bergamo. If you don't mind the drive Munich isn't impossible either - worth considering because it's a big hub so you'll get a lot of flight options there and prices can be very good.

Villa Tony is a great 3* hotel, but there are lots of other options, maybe try searching on http://www.altabadia.org/ ?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi all thanks for your advice it's really helpful. I had already earmarked Hotel Arkadia (looks amazing for a 3 star) and yes I totally agree we need to get things booked soon - that's why I'm on the case! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
One more question, ski hire is varying quite significantly, from 530 euros at Ski set web site but interestingly through Sport Kostner Rent to 380 euros direct at Sport Kostner Rent!

Can anyone give recommendations?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm totally biased but check out our place www.casa-alfredino.co.uk. It's in a small village away from the crowds and we have very varied skiing as Civetta range is 10 minutes down the road and Marmolada is five minutes up the road. This means that you can access the Sella Ronda and Arabba more or less directly, but also have Civetta which is a really nice steady resort. You can also drive round to Falcade in a matter of 25 minutes which also has lots of steady runs. I've written quite a number of blogs about the various areas here: http://www.casa-alfredino.co.uk/skiing-information/

If you are interested in a more comprehensive service, i.e. catering (albeit in a restaurant) and a host to drive you to areas, pick you up from the airport, and ski with you for the week, let me know and I can put something together for you as this is something we are currently working towards.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Sella Ronda easily accessible in either direction from here too.

I have stayed in La Villa and would say that unless you're an intermediate skier the Sella Ronda is not very convenient from there (but it's perfect for beginners). Better to stay in Corvara. The Collett's chalet Verena looks v. convenient for lifts and village but not many hotels are - for example the Col Alto mentioned earlier would be a good 8-10 minutes uphill (not steep) to the main lifts. We have stayed in Arlara which is slopeside, has a pool and in a perfect location, as long as you don't want lively apres-ski or walk to the village every night - it's a steep 15 minutes downhill and half an hour back!

Buses in Italian ski resorts are IMO not very reliable and usually not free.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Col Alto provides a very good transfer to the lifts in the morning and in good conditions you can ski back to the hotel at the end of the day, it is however fairly pricey. Collett's Pension Angelo at Arlara is excellent and a very short walk to the lift.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Not long back from Corvara, staying at the Col Alto, as @Addick, says it runs a courtesy bus to the lifts. A few other hotels do this as well, can only remember seeing the Hotel Greif bus, coz of the name, but there were other hotel buses also doing the loop. The Col Alto is right at the start of Corvara, as you drive up the valley, so prolly as far as any other hotel from the lifts, we once walked back in less than 10 mins in boots carrying skis, so no real hardship. We could have waited 10 mins for the bus. It's a fairly compact village.

The snow was all artificial, so only on the pistes, no opportunity to ski back.

Sorry, can't comment on ski hire.

Acres of easy skiing on the left as you go uphill (Col Alt lift) or easy access to Sella Ronda on the right, via the Borest (heading towards Selva) or the Boe (heading towards Arraba) lifts.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
How long does it take from the bottom of the lifts in corvara to ski to Arabba ? Low intermediate group?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Spyglass, probably between 30 mins to an hour depending how fast/slow your group wants to go. It is only two lifts going and three on the way back..
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Glad Dode spotted a Hotel Greif drop off bus as that is where we are staying.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy