Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Another newbie

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Folks,

Looking for some advice ( yes I know just get on with it)

I am going skiing early march. Skied twice before, donkeys ago. I have been saying I will give it a go for ages so now is the time.

I have a price for a hol in Borovets - decent accom /flights/transfer/ski school etc. About £650

Have been looking online.....Holidaying alone early march, looking for reccomendations...Location/british ski school or decent ski school/accom/ basically a package that you think may suite a beginner.

Happy to share etc, make up a group booking, expectations are to learn and fun, rest is a bonus.

I know it is a lot to ask...any help appreciated in advance.

Cheers Jock
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
£650 is quite a lot for Borovets - could possibly be down to the fact it's March.

You can get January deals for single skiers to Borovets for under £300 (flight/half board/transfers). Obviously you'd need to add on lift pass, ski hire and lessons, but that would be well under £350.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
First bit of advice, don't go to Borovets!

Check out the Trip section on this forum. There is always someone offering up an available place.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers Mikey...thanks for the imput..as a newbie I went down the whole package route rather than seperates...but will have a look. ta
russ...will go there for a look now cheers for the heads up. Thanks
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Jockorr, Welcome to snowHeads!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi @Jockorr, I went on a long weekend (4nts) with UCPA in Flaine last year, £600 for everything as below, but I don't think it's much more for a full week. Late deals might throw up something cheaper...

Depends on what you're after from your holiday, but my mate and I had a great time. It's not luxury chalet standard, but we got all meals (you could pack a lunch at breakfast avoiding having to eat on the mountain) and the bar was relatively cheap as it was run by the staff... Depending on the package prices include ski/board + boot hire, pass and lessons, as well as accommodation.

Action Outdoors (no affiliation, information only!) are their agent in the UK, and I think they organised the transfers, so you just need to get there (flights / drive?). Not for everyone (Not Mrs S's cup of tea) but I would definitely go again.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cheers Danny and nbt,

Just had a look, that looks good...just booked flights then the swine of a action outdoors site says I need to call in the morning some sort of error! I am trying to book Flaine...anyway ...your suggestion is exactly what i was looking for.

Appreciated

Thanks
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
All sorted Flaine, 5-12th March, going myself so up for meeting anyone out there for a beer etc...I would say Ski...but am going to learn so wont't ruine it for you.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Stay safe
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jockorr wrote:
All sorted Flaine, 5-12th March, going myself so up for meeting anyone out there for a beer etc...I would say Ski...but am going to learn so wont't ruine it for you.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Stay safe

did you go for the action outdoors option or something else?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hope you have a great time, and great snow.

There's some really nice runs there for learning: my mate was in a beginners class and they covered a little of ground.

There's also a bar across the way from the UCPA which seemed to have a perpetual happy hour...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
How about Arinsal in Andorra? Cheap and good for beginners...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi cheers for the replies again.

Mikey- I went with action outdoors, some good reviews on the net too. I am looking forward to it, counting the days..I can tell you.
Will hit the indoor slopes a couple of times before I go. Just looking at gear now.

Danny- The happy hr sounds good to me...any reccomendations on local brews or is it mainstream stuff? It sounds like you had a great time, cheers for the reccomendation.

Jools - I will add it to my list, and have a look online for the next time I go, Ta .

Thanks again.

Jock
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yes Flaine is great for learning. My wife did her first skiing there, lessons in the morning and cruising with myself while I got to grips with telemark in the afternoons, and we covered quite a bit of the area.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cheers Stu, good to hear you think it is good for learning. Sessions are morning only, like your wife's then free to make an back bottom of my self in the afternoon.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Jockorr, I love Flaine, I did a solo trip to Les Carroz 11 years ago and fell for it, we've been there 8 times, some great blue and green runs for improvers like yourself in the Flaine bowl, Serpentine, Crystal on the left as you look up the mountain and Mephisto to the right, there's a steep bit on the top part with a schuss after it, from then on its great , or you can take the Aup Du Veron cable and avoid the steep bit. I wouldn't bother with cascades, it's the long run down to Sixt, there's lots of flat bits and can be very icy, you also need to get a bus to Samoens, and then a lift up to ski back into Flaine. It takes half a day but you don't get a great deal of good skiing IMHO.
If the weathers good, a picnic lunch or just stopping for a few minutes off on the side of the first bit of Mephisto is stunning with Mont Blanc in the distance.
Bissac self service restaurant does a great tartifilette plus daily specials. Have a great time and post a report on how you get on
latest report
Thanks Geoff- sounds like you do love Flaine. Sounds like you know it like the back of your hand. All the advice is appreciated. Good stuff reference cascades, looking at it now on the net.

Thanks for taking the time folks, appreciated.

I will post to let you know how I get on cheers.
ski holidays
Hi sorry for late reply.

Flaine was brilliant, only fault was the pricey beer.

Hotel - UCPA Flaine Les Lindars - Basic room shared with 3 strangers in their own group. Made me welcome and joined them on a few tootles out and for a good few beers. Nice bunch of lads, You know who you are , PM me on here as I forget your username.

Hotel food - Breakfast spot on, you can bag up a sarnie to take on the slope. PS grab a bag the day before your last day, as they don't put the bags out on your last day. Lunch and Evening meal, was always something there I could eat, I would avoid the pricessed stuff they put out as it always seemd bland. The other offerings were always good.

Hotel bar- free wifi, expensive beer. Was always a good night in there, expensive but cheaper than the bar outside the hotel.

Ski tuition- I thought it was really good, came on leaps and bounds. Well paced and varied teaching. Moved people in and out of groups according to skill.

Thanks everyone of you for your advice, really appreciated.
ski holidays
@Jockorr, glad you enjoyed it, I actually ended up in Flaine on 5-12th march myself, it was a really good place. I popped out to the supermarket to get a crate of beers so I could have a couple in the room Smile I was on the off-piste course, had a belting week, conditions were great weren't they - load of snow and sunshine!
snow conditions
nbt...yes conditions were spot on. I also bought a crate for the room, pre bar drinks. I really enjoyed Flaine, ticked all the boxes for me. Would go back in a heartbeat. Shame I never knew you were there could have grabbed a beer.
snow conditions
Forget all plans and check out the bashes Happy youll soon get hooked!
ski holidays
PaulC1984 wrote:
Forget all plans and check out the bashes Happy youll soon get hooked!

+1
latest report
Cheers will check this out.....appreciated Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy