Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best App for skiing with your iphone?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have a rather elderly Iphone 4 and was wondering if there is a decent ski app for it, to show where I've been skiing and weather/snow reports?

I know there are a plethora of running & exercise apps.

I normally leave my phone at home and don't bother with it when skiing, so if I have missed an obvious super app. Please excuse me, but I'd like to join the 21st century.

I'm sure there must be tons of apps to choose from and I wouldn't be averse to paying a small fee if the app was really worthwhile.

I'm off to Camptello / SellaRonda in feb and I know the local Dolomiti Superski liftpass logs the approximate distance you ski, but it'd be nice to have a decent phone app to help me too.

Cheers

Ouch!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
"Ski tracks" comes highly recommended and appears to be working fine on my iPhone 4.
There is a free version but the full app costs only 79p!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Another vote for Ski Tracks, if your phone has GPS it will track you all day and give you a map at the end showing your movements along with a bunch of stats and graphs (top speed, distance covered, vertical distance etc). I use a tablet and the battery holds up just fine for 8 hours.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
FATMAP just launched today. It won't work on an iPhone 4, but tracks your runs and maps the mountain in 3D. Looks pretty cool. http://fatmap.com/launch
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
letsgetpiste wrote:
"Ski tracks" comes highly recommended and appears to be working fine on my iPhone 4.

+1
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

letsgetpiste wrote:

+1

+2
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Another useful and free app to know where you are on the mountain check out Maprika
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Another + 1 for ski tracks. The free version is good but it's worth getting the paid version as you can download it to your iPad (other generic tablets are available) and will show you where you went on google maps, routes, total distances and works out when you are on a ski lift etc. It will also show you speeds average and max - a somewhat contentious subject and can induce a bit of comptitiveness if a few in the group have it snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Forgot to say for weather and piste maps a lot of the big resorts have their own apps. I haven't looked for Dolomites yet but I am sure they will have one they seem to have most things covered. Just beware as they tend to rely on data so only check the weather when you have wifi. Will look myself now as I am off to Dolomites for the birthday bash Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Ouch!, looks like the 3D super ski app is the best for iPhone. May be a bit slow on your 4
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks everyone. I've downloaded SkiTracks and the 3dsuperski one.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Also dont forget skiline: https://itunes.apple.com/en/app/skiline/id406479148?mt=8
Im dubious about how they calculate piste time/distances but it will tell you which lifts youve used AND (this is a lot of fun) resorts on the network will have a movie run - scan your card and it films a movie of your run which you can view and share on fb etc...(if youre not too embarassed...)
Dunno if this will work but just to demonstrate, here's a very ropey run of mine from last week:
http://www.skiline.cc/skimovie/febm4
Embarassed Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd recommend Maprika... great skiing app... you download the proper piste map onto your phone when you're at home on wifi... then in resort turn data off and location on... and you've got a gps enabled piste map with lifts, runs, and it records your track...

see http://www.maprika.com/
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi, used both SkiTracks and Crystal Ski Explorer. Still prefer SkiTracks but Crystal Ski Explorer has the useful option of using you GPS location and positioning you on the ski map.

With some more development, Crystal Ski Explorer could become more useful as Crystal add more suggested ski itineraries. This would be helpful for people that don't know a resort.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy