Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Call me stupid, but...

Poster: A snowHead
How is it that Whistler has had more than 5.5 metres of snow this season and yet at 1300m there is only approx 1.8 m snow depth?? The temperature has been pretty much at or below freezing for months. Where does it go? Wind, evaporation or aliens? Puzzled
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Gravity?

Like leaves falling from the trees. It may be fluffy but then beds in to form a thinner layer. Your not related to Jean-Paul
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mostly it compacts, under it's own weight, from wind pressure, skiers and boarders and piste bashing machines.
Fresh snow can have a density of (e.g) 70kg/m³, by the time it's settled it can be more like 300-500kg/m³, and denser - right up to glacier ice >800kg/m³
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow#Density and http://sciencelearn.org.nz/Contexts/Icy-Ecosystems/Looking-closer/Snow-and-ice-density

Also some can sublime into water vapour, especially in particular wind conditions.

EDIT: Updated now I've had a lesson in typing ³. Ta to those who responded to my question ("Now, can anyone tell me how to do a superscript 3 for cubic metres m³ on here???")

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 15-01-16 12:49; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well <sup>2</sup> doesn't work.... Nor [sup]2[/sup] nor [sup] 2 [\sup]

but simple copy and past does Happy
10²
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
Well <sup>2</sup> doesn't work.... Nor [sup]2[/sup] nor [sup] 2 [\sup]

but simple copy and past does Happy
10²

and requote does as well... copied the 10² and wrote..

glasgowcyclops is the sqr rt of knob²
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I can alter the text before the superscript but not the superscript itself
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@GlasgowCyclops, ta! I'm guessing that copy & paste works where the superscript is actually a special character. Copying and pasting on my phone only gave me m3. May try when I'm near a PC.. Thanks for trying!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tubaski wrote:
@GlasgowCyclops, ta! I'm guessing that copy & paste works where the superscript is actually a special character. Copying and pasting on my phone only gave me m3. May try when I'm near a PC.. Thanks for trying!

Its fine.. I'm just bored Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In '98-'99 I lived in Whistler. We had 17 meters of snow but never more than 2.5 in the garden.

Luckily my apartment was second floor so we never lost daylight Wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tubaski wrote:
Now, can anyone tell me how to do a superscript 3 for cubic metres m3 on here???

http://usefulshortcuts.com/alt-codes/maths-alt-codes.php

Hold down Alt and type 0179 on the number pad (assuming you're on a normal PC?) and you should get a ³
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Doing this from memory, but I think if you hit the following 3 keys together

ctrl + shift + =

This will put you into superscript

Ctrl + z

Will take you out

ctrl + =

Will put you in subscript.

Again, this is from memory, doing this post from an ipad so can't check
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@QRZBuddha, thanks³, seems I was too focused on trying to use phpbb markup!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
³ wow it works! i'm soooo happy. in fact i'm 10³ happy!! Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Delighted that we have cleared that up Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Snowsartre, back to your original question about Whistler snow reporting. I view it the same way as putting petrol in your car (stay with me). Whistlers snow reporting is the same as them telling you they have put 500ltr of petrol in your car over the season, which might be impressive, but it has largely been used, and all that matters is how much is in the tank now, when you want to go for a drive.

Whistler should follow the more honest European method of amount and date of last snow fall, and the piste depth at village, mid station and top. Which would probably be 10cm, 50cm and 90cm. But that's not as impressive as 5.5m.
snow report
If you're trying to work out "what the conditions are like" at a given resort, total snowfall (measured each day with a board) isn't hugely helpful, although "total consolidated snow depth" isn't either, if you've any experience of how resorts actually report that.

The total snowfall tells you... how snowy it is. The season figure is a marketing concept, the "fresh cms last night" figure is precisely what you need to know if you're trying to work out if you need to be on the first lift or not.

It's a question of using the right metric for the right job, IMHO.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy