Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Half Term Late Booking. Is it likely? (6/2-13/2)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
As Jonesy would say, "Don't panic, Mr Manwaring". However, as a good Scout, I should also "Be Prepared". With a smidgeon over 3 weeks until we fly out to Grenoble (flights booked), our chosen resort, Villard de Lans in the Vercors (1050m-2050m) is still completely shut with a meager covering of snow. As @Davidof said in another thread, the locals are calling it a catastrophe. Despite recent reports from other 'interior' resorts of big dumps in the last week, the Vercors has had a LOT of rain which obliterated virtually all snow cover and even with lower temps in the last few days, this hasn't been remedied (I'm watching the webcams daily and after 3 consecutive years there, can judge the state of things quite well).

I know that anything could happen in the next 3 weeks but the fact that other lower resorts are now being reported to have improved a lot, Villard de Lans has not followed this pattern and has NOTHING AT ALL open (even nursery slopes in the town). This does make me think that I should at least begin to plan for the worst. We're in the fortunate position that we borrow the apartment of friends in Grenoble, so if we want to bale out, we can and they're OK with that.

So a couple of questions. As we live in Scotland, our half-term is a week ahead of the English one, making me wonder whether there's more chance of getting a late booking in another resort?

Secondly, as there are a number of apartment owners on this forum, do you happen to have availability or know of options for us where you are?

Ideally, we're after a small self-catering appt but if there were any last minute all-in catered chalet deals at a good price, I'd certainly not sniff at them! (eg Seen recent ones for c£250 each in 3Vs incl flights and transfers but would there be similar prices for our dates?)

This will be the kids' 4th season and they're pretty good now. Our son (9) will follow me confidently and capably down virtually anything and is obsessed with skiing (black mogul pistes included) and our daughter (7) is a tidy little skier who's a bit slower but will also ski reds and bashed blacks happily. As a result we've already been pondering a move to somewhere for them to spread their wings next year. Villard isn't tiny but we know it pretty intimately now!

All suggestions and help are gratefully welcomed (as are comments that I'm panicking wink )
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We're looking at 6/2 and there seems to be a fair bit of availability. Avoid the French-centric resorts as it's the first week of their winter holidays. But if you go somewhere for mainly Brits, like 3V, the prices are not particularly inflated and there is availability. I doubt you'll get anything for £250 though, not all in.

I'd check out the serviced apartments, the ones with a pool and reception and stuff.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Most of Uk has Half term 13-20 Feb so I would say the odds are in your favour
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
you should be OK in most places, I would have thought.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looks at the Chalet Direct Solutions Room. Either see what other people have asked for and contact the chalet company directly and haggle or put in your own request.

Little Morzine orientated (PDS great if snow good). Some transfers included but maybe Geneva orientated.
http://www.chaletsdirect.com/forum/forums/forum-view.asp?fid=1
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy