Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

L2A Avalanche

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just got back after a long day and talking to several people involved in the search, a minute or too earlier and I would have done too.

Lots of people up late for commemorative run later. Skiing back to Bellecombe chair near 4 and I could see something was going on below to the left, lots stopped looking. But I got down to lift and watching from there with helis about it was clear it was serious. 2 friends I was skiing with stopped higher and actually helped probing for 90 minutes.

Huge slide the entire length of the Bellecombe black piste, what was the Grand Couloir. Below it is essentially a terrain trap where the search was taking place. What appears to have happened is that skiers off piste above triggered a huge slide onto the CLOSED piste below taking everyone down. Avi level was 3, I skied that same run several times yesterday at a similar time with a guide when it was 4.

Loads up the mountain for torchlight run down but it was officially cancelled but had to get everyone down still. I got down near 7 in the dark.

Spoke to friends who got involved who spoke of bodies being buried 10ft. ESF friend I met later I spoke to was visibly very shaken, he'd been searching, and though he only spoke in French I got the giste if it. As I left the bar near 11 a pisteur I know came in straight off the mountain, he looked physically and mentally drained. I bought him a beer and left him to it.

A dreadful day for L2A which has a fantastic avi safety record IMO.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This morning I saw your post about the world record attempt and enjoyed reminiscing about my second ever week on skis which I spent in L2A. I was hugely jealous I wasn't there to take part. I skied Bellecombe that second week. Or at least I got down it in relative control without falling over and had a great sense of achievement in doing so given it was by far the toughest thing I'd done at that point and so it holds special memories for me.

It's awful to think about what has happened today.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's dreadfully sad and from what you say it seems that whilst this group where somewhere they shouldn't be, i.e. the closed piste, it's another group off piste that triggered the slide?

Unfortunately, and there's comments on another thread, both on this and 2 avys in VdI last week, pistes get closed for a reason.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy