Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Schladders

Poster: A snowHead
A group of us (mostly boarders) are of to Schladming on 28th Jan. Can anyone suggest which are the best piste runs/areas for off piste. I know the place is spread over 4 hills but I don't know not a lot more.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm sure we'll find the best bars.....thats if Mr T and his weynmouth posse can keep up with the drinking.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Richie, I will be in Eben im Pongau (down the road) from 18th to 24th so I will write you a little report when I get back (assuming I remember!). I'm staying with a mate who lives there and we'll probably spend a day over Schladming way.

I know he has some secret hidden stashes of powder kept aside for me so I'll try to save some for you as well! Hopefully by the time you get there more snow will have fallen and all the freshies we've tracked out will be ready for you.

Do you have access to a car while you are there? If so, pick any of the other hills close by (maybe Flachau or Flachauwinkel?) and you can upgade your pass to the whole Ski Amade region, I think.

As an area, it's typically Austrian. I wouldn't say the hills are the most challinging I've ridden but there's lots of fun to be had and of course a wide variety of huts tempting you to try out your night-skiing skills .....
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
zammo, Top man! No car I'm affraid. I've heard that the busses aren't bad though. Don't ruin all of the powder for us!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Richie, it'll cost you an IPA or three, but I know Schladming pretty well. I'll see you in the pub before you go.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ken Lingwood, Done. Myself, Phil Prior and Kev Robertson will be in there all excited and talking rubbish the night before we go (Fri 27th). Other than that, I'll probably be in there watching some footy over the next week or so.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm there this weekend - will try and remeber to post a report as soon as I get back! aj xx
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ajhainey, is that a report of Schladming or my local pub wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
NehNeh
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Am going to be in Schladming for a week from 11th Feb, would be interested to hear any info on the place,ajhainey, will look forward to hearing your report. One of the people in our group has never skied before and may be looking for some alternative sources of entertainment besides skiing, does Scladming have a lot else to offer??

Cheers.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ken Lingwood,
Quote:

ajhainey, is that a report of Schladming or my local pub

Review of said pub......Great beer,great atmosphere, fantastic location (top of my street) and great locals. Shame about the football team that they all support in there Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Where are you guys staying Richie? Makes a difference to where you can get to easily...SHould be fab though, the snow was fantastic when we were there and no queues anywhere, plus fairly quiet pistes.

Schladming Report (new title for keyword searches):
In brief, planai is very fast cruising as is hauser kaibling (hk being the slightly easier of the two imo) both are mainly chairlift and fairly flat free. The exception to that rule is the link between them, which has lots of bits of flat and while ok on skis would probably be a pain on a board. Fast, very wide cruisers mostly, all much the same, but very enjoyable, I particularly like 9 and 1a. 1 itself (above the black) gets pretty steep, and is rather hardpacked. Planai top has some obvious off piste, to the left of the burgstelalm(?) lift. Further down I wouldn't risk it (looks like not many do) as it's heavily wooded and a lot of them have been chopped near the lifts so there are stumps all over the shop.

Didn't do much on rohrmoos/hockwurzen, but the link from planai has the wierdest (and most disconcerting) lift I've seen in a while - (the one through a tunnel) you have to hop up a plastic slope to get on (sidestep) and the safety bar is round the side, not over the top...it's a very fast 'pickup' too...straight over a 30ft drop Skullie The run down to it from planai (6&12) were nice though, fast at the top, rather badly marked lower down but a good pitch and empty. good restaurant at the top of hockwurzen go all the way upstairs to get a great view of all the surrounding hills.

Reiteralm was a little more challenging on piste, didn't look for off piste. the route down 2 then 4 is the easiest way down, 1 is ok if a little bizarre (over a road, through some trees), 2 gets very choppy at the bottom for some reason...Again mostly wide cruisers - often gentle but with some steep/narrow patches.

We also went over to fageralm (9am or 10:30 bus) - which is almost completely empty and has glorious snow. Probably some off piste high up but we didn't get that far due to the weather - the restaurant at the top of the 1st chair/bottom of the second is reasonable for lunch before catching the 13:25 bus back to reiteralm.

off the slopes - there is a 7km sledge run at hochwurzen (open at night), horse drawn sledge ride, the erlenisbad (fun pool/spa) is worth a visit, there was ice driving at reiteralm when we were there - can't remeber anything else but it's easy to pick up the tourist brouchure thing on arrival - it has loads of stuff in it.

A beginner (confident snowplough) could probably get to hauser kaibling and back (and would enjoy alope 3 when they got there) - just one dogy bit from the top of marchweisen lift to the gondola station on the way home. The route to rohrmoos is not ruitable for a beginner, although the slopes there are.

HTH - might edit again later...

aj xx

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 14-11-06 13:45; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ajhainey, Thanks for the review, it'll come in handy, methinks. We're staying at the Hotel Rossl in Schladming town centre. I believe it's pretty near to the Planai lift.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ajhainey, thanks for your review, lots of fast cruising sounds good to me!
Richie, we're going to be staying in the Hotel Rossl too on the week of 11th Feb so would be interested to hear your views when you get back.

Cheers,
Chris
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ajhainey, thanks for your report. I have been twice now (stayed at Haus both times) and am likely to go again in the future. I have never made it as far as Fageralm, but am tempted to try it now by your comments. I am assuming that it is covered on the lift pass, is that right? I guess that the bus times that you quote are from the bottom of Planai? Apart from being much quieter, are there any other noticeable differences between Fageralm and the main 4 mountains?
snow report
We only skied the bottom half of fageralm (top was lost in whiteout) but I would say it's a little gentler, but otherwise similar (wide easy cruisers, plus the odd narrow track through the trees) - you wouldn't want to spend an entire day their (IMO) as an intermediate, but it IS nice for a morning. The lower traffic means much nicer snow conditions, space to speed, and better chance of off piste. I just liked the feeling of being on your own, being able to speed/practise exercises without worrying I might take someone out, then dropping into the hut for a nice gluhwein before catching the bus back - very tranquil. It is covered on the lift pass.

Bus times are from planai - basically there is ONE direct bus from planai (10.30am depart, and a return bus at 15:25 I think) or you can go to reiteralm and change there which gives you an extra (earlier) bus choice in either direction. The 10:30 from planai runs fom haus - probably the 10:15 there? So does the earlier one to reiteralm that opens up the earlier change to fageralm. You can _somehow_ use the same bus to get to radstadt but I never quite figured that one out...might give it a try if I were there for a week.

I would think a nice day would be over to fageralm on the morning bus, spend the morning there, catch the 13:25 back to reiteralm and then burn your way back over to haus? It's what we planned to do but the weather turned and we decided to play around on reiteralm and then catch the bus home instead.

For a beginner, or nervous intermediate fageralm would be worth a full day, for an intermediate wanting some peace and quiet, or someone wanting to make first tracks it's worth a visit. For aggressive on piste skiers it's not got much to offer? I went because I just like to explore. I always want to get to the far 'ends' of my pass and work my way home - no idea why, I just like to have a destination in mind - it's why I like multi-hill resorts so much!

HTH aj xx
latest report
ajhainey, many thanks for that additional report. I particularly like your idea of the morning in Fageralm and then burning back to Haus from Reiteralm. Definitely one for the todo list.
snow report
Just got back from our second trip to schladming so I thought I'd update this thread!

Very similar conditions to last trip with lots of snow the first three days so got to see the place at it's best again. I'd say most of the above still holds, although neither reiteralm nor hochwurzen seemed so daunting this time, not sure if I, or the conditions had improved, but the 2-weeker with us also managed fine on pretty much every slope going and we had some great blasts down runs 31 and 33/35. On reiteralm the Black at the top (3a) has a decently steep pitch on it which I wouldn't recommend for the nervous (although we did it in about 10m visibility which didn't help) but other than that everything was wide and straightforward. Run 5 stays quiet as it goes to a drag but you can cut through on a ski route back to the main lifts which makes it a good choice if you like your slopes empty.

The speed test and slalom run on planai kept us well entertained one morning, we did the fageralm->planai day I mentioned above and it is easily doable and very enjoyable. Try not to get stuck in the drag lift section on planai - it helps to know that you have to get the larchkogel drag to get to the hochwurzen side - it runs the opposite way up to how it looks on the map! Everywhere is is very similar easy red/steep blue cruising.

Restaurant wise we did MUCH better this time - I can definately recommend the jager on the way to the golden jet on planai 6 which stays quiet as this side of the hill isn't much used as yet despite the golden jet - you do need to do some off piste to get back to the piste but the food and the quiet is worth it. The first place you come to on run 2 (after the top) on reiteralm is also good although unfortunately I can no longer remember the name! In town the landgraf on the haupt platz does lots of different schnitzel, plus a varied menu of other things, nice desserts, salads and fabulous fruit frappes. The italian on the way to the hotel Royer (near spar mkt, on auBgasse) while nothing groundbreaking, makes a nice change from schnitzel, the one off the main haupt platz (towards the slopes - look for a pizza/pasta sign) is even better.

Charly kahr ski hire is competitive pricewise with the others and seemed to have very well kept eqpmt and fab waxing/edging - we were all very happy with our 'silver' skis. The liftpass print out is definately still the best souvenier I've seen anywhere - and even better is free!

Will edit if any startling insights occur to me later snowHead

aj xx
snow conditions
Fageralm is just up the road from where I live and is a very quiet place - hardly anyone there! Its served by 2 x 2man chairs to get to the top - they are old and slow and long. Up on the top its a network of Tbars. It is very beautiful, quiet, loads of off piste bits. There is an Atomic test run up there too. Its a fab place for beginners as none of the top slopes are too steep - and they let you back down on the chairs if you dont fancy the red runs down. The huts are great for beer/food too.

Definatley worth a look for a morning/day. Its next door to Reiteralm which is mainly red runs. Then next to Reiteralm is Schaldming and so it goes on.

The Planai lift in Schladming is at the end of the High St in town - so not far to walk if you are in the town. There is a skibus running all over the rest of Schladming.

Your lift pass covers all of Ski Amade so your choise is endless - no way will you do it in a week.

Ski Amade is fab - you will have loads of fun! Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy