Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lech/Zurs - black runs ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I noticed from the Lech/Zurs piste map that there are no black runs in L/Z..... am I wrong?? Is the resort better suited for low intermeds/beginners, or are the reds challenging... looks like the black runs are in Warth ?? also a few ski routes dotted around
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There aren't that many *real* black runs in the Arlberg full stop. The challenges are offpiste and on the ski routes.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There are some challenging runs in Lech and Zurs. The ski routes are all un-groomed and often turn in to serious bump fests - the runs off the Kriegerhorn (40 & 41) are black standard, I don't think I've ever done them in a "one-er" when they are properly mogulled. The top section of Zuerser tali has some very steep options which are great fun in powder and quite scary when it's hard packed. The steeps are easily avoided there , the marked run is a tame red.

Also, the very bottom of the blue runs in to Lech itself are pretty steep wink (I'm only half joking, they are not good for beginners or timid intermediates).

I've only skied Warth a couple of times, I don't remember anything particularly challenging on-piste. They might be marked black but if they're groomed and in good condition then there's no serious challenges there that I can recall.

As @clarky999, says the Arlberg is all about the off piste and I think even if you stick to marked ski routes you'd find a lot of good skiing. Very few good skiers are disappointed and I don't think I've met anyone who has complained that the skiing in the Arlberg was too easy wink [internet trolls don't count]
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
As mentioned, Arlberg is considered to offer the most challenging skiing in Austria, and yes, this is mostly off-piste.
The on-piste skiing in the Lech-Oberlech area is very gentle, while in Zürs mostly with sporty red pistes
Some -challenging- ski-routes are groomed 99% of the time, like the famous Madloch route nrs 33 and 56, and the great Langerzug nr. 37, which when groomed officially is the steepest piste in Austria. The status (groomed/ungroomed) of nr. 37 is announced at the bottom and topstations of the Rüfikopf-cablecar. Be sure not to miss this beautiful piste/route. It has a gentle tow-lift (Schafalplift) half-way, a vertical of 900 m, beautiful scenery, very quiet, and ends at the Schlosskopf chairlift. And -as mentioned- a veeeeeery steep stretch beginning from the Schafalplift.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 13-01-16 16:59; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Langerzug, is 37 usually open? it always seems to be closed when I go to look, but I don't ski there very often - typically I head up Rufikopf on the way to Zurs. I must get on it next time I'm there, it's the one run I have not done.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes it is usually open, and groomed. And as mentioned, the status is always announced in the bottom station. Last winter one day it was still closed when getting in the cablecar (so we were preparing to do the Weisse Ring), and when exiting the cablecar at the top, the sign was changed from "closed" to "open", so we changed our plans and were the first to go on Langerzug, at mid-day. Heaven!
It is a very special experience, also because you will see Lech-village from a completely different perspective, coming out of the forest heading towards the Schlosskopfbahn. It always has excellent snow (if snow is available...) as it is north-facing.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The "black" runs at Warth are all very easy. Good fun runs and well worth doing but I really don't understand why the W1, W2, W3 runs are marked as black. They're easier than some of the St Anton/Zurs Blue runs.

In Lech the ski-route 65 off of Bergeralp has never been pisted when I've been there and it's a good challenging run. The pisted runs from the Stockmahd chair are decently steep reds and can get icy as they get a lot of sunshine.

To me Lech is a great resort for anyone from intermediate to expert. Intermediates have fun on the runs into Lech and Oberlech, advanced riders head further up the mountain and get more challenges and more variety.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy