Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cuff alignment/canting adjuster slips on atomic boots

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My pair of Atomic LiveFit 100 boots have a disk with an eccentric cam used to adjust the cuff angle. It is turned using a little two pronged tool supplied with the boots.

Can be seen in this image: http://i.ytimg.com/vi/uemhHqvoPg8/maxresdefault.jpg

The disks are are designed to remain in position due to friction and are pretty stiff to turn. However over a day's skiing they do tend to move a little and can end up being half a turn out - i.e. completely the wrong way! With one wonky leg this makes a difference to my skiing.

Any bright ideas on how to keep them in the correct position as I can't keep adjusting them on the hill?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bit of loctite around the outside edge?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@kerb, just a thought, but if your boot cuff is constantly adjusting itself perhaps it is finding the natural alignment of your lower leg?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Themasterpiece wrote:
Bit of loctite around the outside edge?

Think the friction that holds it in place is between the metal disk and the plastic upper shell and suspect locite may be bad idea on the plastic. But gives me an idea of maybe trying some thin superglue on it.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar wrote:
@kerb, just a thought, but if your boot cuff is constantly adjusting itself perhaps it is finding the natural alignment of your lower leg?

You are almost certainly correct, but without the adjustment my left ski is naturally tipped a good few degrees onto its outside edge whereas right is pretty flat. On right turns I find the downhill (left) ski more difficult to get the edge engaged, and the opposite on left turns when the left ski is uphill.

Obviously becoming a better skier would help significantly, but having equipment that gives me equal angles for left and right turns does make life easier!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@kerb, my understanding (although happy to be put right) is that the cuff adjustment on boots is there to accommodate lower leg alignment rather than correct it. If your biomechanics mean that your skis don't run flat when you stand in your neutral stance you should probably correct it elsewhere in your boot/binding interface (shimming bindings or planning your boots soles, for example).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar wrote:
@kerb, my understanding (although happy to be put right) is that the cuff adjustment on boots is there to accommodate lower leg alignment rather than correct it. If your biomechanics mean that your skis don't run flat when you stand in your neutral stance you should probably correct it elsewhere in your boot/binding interface (shimming bindings or planning your boots soles, for example).

Thanks Rob, guess I could go down that route, but would need to make the effort to find a suitable professional. Whereas the cuff adjustment gives me a nice flat ski and comfortable boot with just a quick turn of the disk - if only I could get it to stick!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar wrote:

100% correct

to stop it moving (as it is designed to find a neutral position) you could try loctite (unlikely to be very successful) or have a shop with a rivet press squash the rivet just a little tighter, but back to point 1 it IS DESIGNED TO FIND A NEUTRAL POSITION and you want it in a different position it might be tough to get it to stay
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I had this issue and if it works itself significantly loose it eventually would fall out, which would be a proper pain in the backside on the mountain.

All you need is a decent bolt (the originals can be soft pap metal which strips the thread very easily) and threadlock. You may need to replace the nut on the inside too. Get proper threadlock and it will stay where it is put, check it before each week of skiing but mine has not moved since being sorted.

You could glue the disc in place, but shouldn't be necessary.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy