Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kid GPS Tracker test

Poster: A snowHead
My company are in the process of launching a small GPS tracker aimed at the kids ski market. It is targeted 5 - 10 year olds who you do not want to have a mobile phone but still want the ability for them to contact you in an emergency. It has an SOS button they can press which will call parents and send them a text with a google map link so they can find them if they get separated from Ski School etc. Hoping to launch before half term but could do with some honest field test. (My own daughter 8 year old tried it while we were in Austria and it worked very well but need someone to try it out who has had no previous experience of GPS tracking) Perhaps a long shot given the holiday in term time situation but is anyone planning a ski trip with kids in the next few who would be willing to test out the tracker and give a review we can use on our website in exchange for a free tracker? Here is a link to the tracker: http://www.back2you.com/kid-tracker.html
Chris
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Probably a bit late for you as we are going out in half term (10 and 15 year old).
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@globalbagtag.com, I will be in Cairngorm and Lecht with my 8 year old son over the next 2 weekends. I'll also be in Glenshee the first weekend in February. Not the Alps but skiing all the same. Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I should have added that I have tried something similar with an old phone of mine and Google Device Manager. I stuck it in his backpack at the start of the day and was able to check where he was with his ski school. The only issue was I had to activate data roaming on the PAYG SIM I had in the phone and it ran away with £39 of credit in 2 days! I suspect some apps were set to auto-update and that is what they did.

The device looks to be a good option. At least I wouldn't have to worry he wouldn't be able to whip out the device and deplete the battery by playing Smashy Road or Candy Crush. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi Gaza thanks for the offer but could do with testing outside UK to check on sim roaming etc.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@globalbagtag.com, understand completely. If you have a sample I would still be happy to test and send it back to you after the 3 weekends. Be interesting to see how it works in the patchy mobile coverage around Glenshee and Lecht. Smile
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Going for long w/e with mates 1st w/e Feb to Chamonix - also with kids at 1/2 term to Dolomites - happy to test on either trip if you haven't found any other crash-test-dummies by then...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Would be delighted to test on my 6 & 8 year olds during half-term in Bormio. If that's not too late then please get in touch.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This season our "Morzine locals" ESF classes are 2.30 to 5pm, which means it's almost dark before they're trying to herd hundreds of kids off the mountain. Mini-Shep is only 4 ½ and I do worry about her being "misplaced", particularly since searching after dark isn't easy. Some people will say paranoia, but if the technology exists why not use it.
@globalbagtag.com, if I can help PM me or contact via the website here ↓
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi Shep that sounds like the idea test, if you could PM me your address I will get one out to you. Rgds Chris
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@globalbagtag.com, taking our nine year old to SuperDevoluy at half term if that's any use to you.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@globalbagtag.com, Cant help with a child, but our son is 3 and ill definitely buy one once we start going on the mountain if the price is reduced a bit.

I wonder is its also worth fitting RECCO into it and have it giving of a same frequency as a transceiver??

Currently Id stick a transceiver on my son as I know ill find him within 100m where as google earth image wouldn't always be accurate enough. Just a thought

As an aside - there is a group of snowheads heading out to italy on 22nd Jan, Id be willing to test out there - we always lose each other Happy

Finally I note on your site it says UK activated SIM, what about europe??
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@globalbagtag.com, we can test one with my 7 year old if you want. Will be skiing in 10 days time just locally at a small resort called Kungsberget near Stockholm. We'll also be in Avoriaz in late February, and a couple more trips in Sweden (Romme Alpin and Åre) in March.

I was looking for a good GPS solution, and in the end the other week did the same as @Gaza with an old mobile, pay as you go SIM, and app called MyNino. We also wore Pieps beacons as visibility was nearly zero at the time.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@PaulC1984, Recco idea very valid, but you'll get into hot water suggesting a xmit only avvy beacon on Snowheads Shocked . You'll find the threads if you look, but it is a bad idea!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@globalbagtag.com, it looks like a great idea, although I don't have kids.

Not trying to be picky, but there are a ton of typos on the website, so you might want to get someone to go through and pick them out. Websites with lots of errors often put people off from buying on the assumption that the same care is taken over the products as over the website........ Sad
snow report
Is this a new device or a re-branded Pebbell - http://www.pebbell-gps.com/
latest report
Looks good. Has potential, I'm sure my wife would be tempted to know they have a way of contacting if we were to get separated on the piste. Happy to trial. Going out to Val D'Isere on 30th Jan- 7 yr old girl and 5 yr old boy if that helps. Let me know.
ski holidays
@pugwash21, Welcome to snowHeads!
snow conditions
saw the same thing in the Easyjet mag for £50 yepzon.com
latest report
[quote="PaulC1984"]@globalbagtag.com, Cant help with a child, but our son is 3 and ill definitely buy one once we start going on the mountain if the price is reduced a bit.

I wonder is its also worth fitting RECCO into it and have it giving of a same frequency as a transceiver??

Currently Id stick a transceiver on my son as I know ill find him within 100m where as google earth image wouldn't always be accurate enough. Just a thought

As an aside - there is a group of snowheads heading out to italy on 22nd Jan, Id be willing to test out there - we always lose each other Happy

Finally I note on your site it says UK activated SIM, what about europe??[/quote

It is supplied with a UK PAYG sim so there are no subscrition charges or contracts so you only pay for the calls/text you use. The sim will roam in Europe no problem and the cost of a text to locate is 6p in UK and 8p in Europe so not too much to pay for peace of mind. The cost of roaming in Europe has come down considerably in the past 6 months, I know I now get a deal with my provider which cost me £ per day to use my call/text/data allowance in Europe. When I was testing on my Daughter at Christmas in Obergurgl I was great to be able to locate her ski school group and get a sneaky peak on her progress without her seeing us and putting her off. Also great to check when they were heading for lunch. It is not meant to replace a transceiver but it is normally accurate to a few meters.
snow report
Adding a Recco could distinguish yourself from the thousands of other personal trackers out there:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=personal+tracker

And just don't go there with the avalanche transmitter...
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=100974
latest report
@globalbagtag.com, I'm off to PDS with my 4 year old on 23rd Jan if that's helpful.
snow report
@globalbagtag.com, You have mail!
snow conditions
@globalbagtag.com, based in Switzerland and I'd be delighted to test one on my wife who is constantly getting lost in supermarkets.

Not perhaps the application you had in mind, but still...
latest report
shep wrote:
This season our "Morzine locals" ESF classes are 2.30 to 5pm, which means it's almost dark before they're trying to herd hundreds of kids off the mountain. Mini-Shep is only 4 ½ and I do worry about her being "misplaced", particularly since searching after dark isn't easy. Some people will say paranoia, but if the technology exists why not use it.
@globalbagtag.com, if I can help PM me or contact via the website here ↓

Hi Shep,

How did you get on with the Kid tracker?

Regards
Chris
ski holidays
Hi @globalbagtag.com, we did use the Kid Tracker for mini-Shep most of last season, and found it to be excellent; simple, reliable, and very reassuring! Her weekly lessons finished at 5pm, i.e. in near darkness in December and January. As an ex instructor myself, I know that little ones can and very occasionally do get separated from their class. Normally they're rounded-up pretty quickly, but a search after dark is a different prospect. For the relatively low cost of this now reliable technology this seems a worry easily avoided.

Plus it was great to be able to text the tracker anytime and have her location (plus speed and altitude) pop-up on a map on your phone! At four years old we didn't even want to raise the possibility of getting lost on the mountain, we just zipped it in an inside pocket (it's only the size of a key-fob) and told her it was so we knew where she was, and to not touch it. We didn't explain she can phone mummy or daddy by holding-down the single large "SOS" button, but this season she'll know and (hopefully!) be sensible enough not to abuse it. We did get a couple of random texts from the device (a quick push of the button sends out its location) when she was probably rolling around in the snow playing, and once or twice the return text with her coordinates took a few minutes to come through, but otherwise it performed perfectly.

We had fun calling it and eavesdropping on her (either rustling when skiing, or chatting animatedly at snack-time!), but of course in a missing-child situation this could be a valuable feature. You can also set it to ring when you call it, and the child answers by pressing the button. Other features are programming it to text you if it goes outside a chosen perimeter (once she starts going off skiing with friends this could be useful), or if it detects a fall followed by a period of motionlessness (not tested).

Once the novelty wore off we mainly just used it to check if they were coming down via the piste or the telecabine at the end of her lesson! There's no contract or subscriptions, just the cost of the texts and calls; a 10 quid top-up lasted us all season. I thoroughly recommend this tracker for anyone who would like the peace of mind of knowing where their child is at any time, or even as a simple parent-to-child "mobile phone" for kids too young for the real thing.

For full disclosure (as you can see above) Chris sent us the tracker free, in order to get feedback from an independent field trial. However, the above is a true account of our experience, and given what we now know I would happily have paid for this product. Thanks for the opportunity Chris! snowHead
snow conditions
@globalbagtag.com, so when can we buy it?
snow conditions
@Themasterpiece, Just go to the website at the top of the page Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37836096
ski holidays
@altis, I prefer the look of this on
latest report
PaulC1984 wrote:

Embarassed
snow report
PaulC1984 wrote:

Embarassed
ski holidays
@Themasterpiece, Toofy Grin
snow report
So has anyone else used this device? My wife thinks it looks great, but quite a lot on the market so interested to know others views.
ski holidays
At £125 isn't it cheaper to give them a smart phone with a tracker app?
latest report
@musher, my first thought re phones without thinking too hard is battery limitation...
snow report
@musher, also I am not too keen on my 5&7 year olds having their own phones yet rolling eyes
snow report
Have ordered one just now. We will do some testing around the uk and will post some thoughts back here in a few weeks.
snow report
Remember to enter "SNOW" for your 10% snowHeads discount
ski holidays
@Bennyboy1,
I've got my two (9 & 12) phones for when they are skiing. They don't have them otherwise. They aren't particularly smart phones so the battery life is quite good.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy