Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Exclusive: National Ski and Snowboard Day, Saturday 4 March

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks to a tip-off, here's a 'snowHeads Exclusive' (who said snowHeads only publishes secondhand news?):

National Ski and Snowboard Day, Saturday 4 March
It's only been announced to ski businesses so far - the aim is to ride the wave of excitement for the Turin Winter Olympics - but here's the hyperlink ...
http://www.nationalskiandsnowboardday.com
... which speaks for itself.
Quote:
Holiday companies, tourist boards, airlines, shops, artificial ski slopes, Scottish ski slopes, indoor ski slopes, ski websites and other snowsports-related organisations are all involved in National Ski and Snowboard Day, aiming to raise the profile of snow related activities and to encourage more people to try skiing or snowboarding.

How are you going to celebrate National Ski and Snowboard Day?
How should snowHeads commemorate National Ski and Snowboard Day?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm going to binge drink all day to celebrate. All SnowHeads should do the same.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Goldsmith, I'd be amazed if any snow businesses will do anything to support this daft idea. Normally such days are all about raising awareness or money for a good cause. Can't see what the cause is here. Snowsports Forum? - I thought it had disbanded years ago. What does it do? Who runs it? Who's on the comittee? Answers on a postcard please...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cool we're in (if we aren't skiing) snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well I will kind of be involved as I'll either be very depressed because travelling back to UK or it will be the last day of my holiday...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I will be packing my suitcase to head off for my next ski trip the follwing morning. Might do a cheese fondue or a pierrade for supper, or better still a tartiflette.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ON saturday 4th march I shall mostly be sakiing in Whsitler!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thank god for that! No-one's asked me to organise anything special!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 brian
brian
It's the day after my birthday so I'll probably be needing a long lie before watching Hibs take on the might of Dundee United.

Hopefully get some skiing the day before though, this was my birthday last year snowHead

snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
JohnHill wrote:
Snowsports Forum? - I thought it had disbanded years ago.

JohnHill, you seem very knowledgeable about the UK ski industry - are you sure you're not the GSG John Hill in a cunning, "double-bluff", disguise?
Sounds a good idea to me - perfect timing, the weekend after the Olympics. Nowadays, all sports have to promote themselves actively if they want to access young talented people, as well as the broader base of enthusiasts who can support the overall structure of the sport.
Haven't tennis and cricket been doing this for years with initiatives like "Kwik-tennis" and "Kwik-cricket"? We don't need any of those gimmicks, our sport is kwik enough already!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Martin Bell, I am knowledgeable about all this but any resemblance to any other John Hill is purely co-incidental and I explained all in the "My lover Bode" thread. Anyway, until you stop pretending to be a white-suited ex-newsreader politician, I'm saying nowt.

I agree the sport needs promotion, especially to younger people and women (fit women mind), but this NSSD thing isn't the way to go forward - doomed for failure. Kwik tennis etc had proper money behind them and big corporate sponsors. The NSSD thing seems to have neither and, worse, having read it again, I reckon the British Olympic Association will not be happy at the inference that this is somehow connected to the Turin Games! TV etc will be covering the games.. not this! The members of SIGB, to whom it was sent, will do nothing about it as there is nothing in it for them... quite the opposite, they are being asked to give stuff away.

There are too many comittees with not enough dosh in this business and the result is a donkey of a promo that'll only wind up the BOA.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
brian, that's what I call a promotion.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Personally I think snowHeads should have a 'massive logo' for National Ski and Snowboard Day. Something that only the Chief Smilie Maker could conceive - fireworks, RAF flypast, snow over Big Ben, Eddie the Eagle etc.

But that's only the start ...

JohnHill, have you finished?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Goldsmith, i doubt it.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ok but the idea has been done before in various forms, i remember years ago giving a discount to anyone buying kit on that day and free lessons at all the slopes! who won...noboby, the lessons were taken up by the local yobs who were there to cause trouble and not to try the sport, and very few shops advertised the deals as they did not want to give stuff away.
one interesting point though look at the logo..........nothing to do with Daily Mail ski is it??????
ski holidays
CEM,
Quote:

nothing to do with Daily Mail ski is it??????

No. With their experience of running promotions I think they would know this to be a total non-starter.
ski holidays
Nobody said it was a running promotion. It's a skiing promotion.
ski holidays
David Goldsmith, rolling eyes
snow report
Erm...isn't 4th March a bit late in the seasion to start raising the profile of snow-sports...?
snow conditions
brian, Hey Brian is that Glas Maol? Looks similar. If thats the walk back up to the lift you need to ski faster.... Very Happy
If it isn't, just ignore me....
ski holidays
I shall celebrate national ski and snowboard day by skiing in the morning and snowboarding in the afterrnoon (seems only fair after all)
ski holidays
I shall be sitting on Eurostar all day, waiting to get to Les Arcs to start the celebrations...
snow report
I have a meeting on the 4th of March. Fortunately it is in Les Arcs, so I will celebrate the day by skiing after my meeting has concluded Smile
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've decided to buy JohnHill (who isn't called John (or Hill) by the way, he's actually called Primrose) a pint down at the Dog&Duck on National Ski and Snowboard Day.

If National Ski and Snowboard Day is the major success I think it's destined to be, then it'll be champagne, but that certainly won't be drunk in the Dog&Duck.
latest report
David Goldsmith, I've cleared my diary. Good idea. Have your people talk to my people.
latest report
ken_1969,
Quote:

Erm...isn't 4th March a bit late in the seasion to start raising the profile of snow-sports...?

Absolutely. You're far too intelligent to be administering this sport. Anyway, it appears I now have a date in the Dog&Duck to really celebrate in style. In years to come we'll all be able to look back and remember where we were on the great day.
snow report
ken_1969 wrote:
Quite possibly. But, given the objections listed above on commercial grounds, being towards the end of the season may not be such a daft idea, as the "discounts" on offer could be similar to (or less than) those to be on offer shortly thereafter in the end-of-season sales - so little real commercial downside and snow businesses may be more likely to buy in to it.
snow report
There's a news announcement for National Ski and Snowboard Day on the SCGB website today:

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/news/item.asp?intCategoryID=1&intItemID=3507
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Have just received a call from JohnHill (who still isn't called JohnHill), who's getting quite excited about the big day (just 4 days now and counting) - despite all his depressing and negative dross of 12 January.

No doubt everyone's got exciting plans for National Ski and Snowboard Day, so let us know what they are.
latest report
David Goldsmith wrote:
No doubt everyone's got exciting plans for National Ski and Snowboard Day, so let us know what they are.

Skiing
snow conditions
Snowboarding in the morning in St Anton with 3 friends - 2 skiers, 1 boarder. May switch to skis in the afternoon. Plan to toast the National Ski and Snowboard Day several times from about 4:15 in Taps bar, break for dinner and then toast the day some more later
ski holidays
David Goldsmith wrote:

I've got to take my lad to a sledging party at Castleford Xscape, does thais count?
snow conditions
I'm afraid not. We're looking for people who are doing things of national significance, involving skis or snowboards.

The kind of thing that springs to mind is someone skiing in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland on Saturday - essentially something that boosts and unites the nation.
ski holidays
That'd be good going, in one day. If the kingdom were covered in snow, you'd never get between them!
snow conditions
Yes, the great day is almost upon us. Tension is certainly mounting in the “Hill” household as we look forward to decking out our enormous private road out with bunting and the setting-up of marquees. I’m flying in Bono and Sir Bob to kick off the celebrations and the Red Arrows have agreed to do a loop of the entire country painting “NSSD HOORAY” in the sky with purple trails. I’ve booked Alain Baxter to do some stand up comedy at half time and Paul Mason of Birtley will then unveil his new world record breaking ski trip packing check list. Mr McWhirter will sky dive from the NSSD blimp to verify the record. Doubtless there will be wall-to-wall coverage of events on the BBC so I’ve taken the precaution of clearing down the Sky+ box.

It really is very, very exciting. Reminds me so much of the fun we had on National So What? Day or even International Can’t Be Ars*d Day.

Bring it on.
snow conditions
JohnHill, Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
OK, admit I will not actually be in UK when enjoying snowsports on the great day.

Neverthless do not discount what I will be doing for the national cause. To get to St. Anton I will be travelling from Scotland (where I work), to England (where I live at the weekends in the summer) to Germany where I fly to, thence to Austria where I live in the winter weekends. All of this promotes Britain surely!

And on the day in question I will be snowboarding with the great Bill Johnson!!!

Admittedly, not the Bill Johnson who won the Gold for USA in the downhill in 1984 ... but the snowboarder whose name is not really Bill (but he doesn't like Edward).

Still, I am doing my bit!

Laughing snowHead Laughing NehNeh Laughing snowHead Laughing
ski holidays
It's interesting that quite a number of people like B00thy are marking National Ski and Snowboard Day by leaving the nation.

A 're-branding' has been suggested: International Ski and Snowboard Day
latest report
I am going to go one of the scottish resorts on saturday to check it out. Going to aviemore on thursday as well.
snow conditions
Nice one, Edmund. Tame the White Lady.
Depending on attitudes to ski-devolution/skivolution we could call Edmund's effort Scottish National Ski and Snowboard Day
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy