Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Passo Tonale to Madonna di Campiglio

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there 'snowHead's, I need some advice.

We'll be staying in Passo, and have the area ski pass. We are a group of 4, two very good skiers, one good but nervous skier, and one good debutante (lots of 'fridge lessons)...

We have a rental car and will be driving from Bergamo airport to Passo so the queries are:

1. Will the direct route via the SS42 normally be open (not allowing for massive dumps of snow on the day of travel of course)
2. We've been advised that Maddona will be a good day out so...
Do we drive to Marilleva 900 and then lifts up and over and back?
Is this suitable for our group - (easy-ish blues for the deb)?
How long does it take to ski back from Madonna to Marilleva (for a good beginner)?

Thanks folks

SM
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There is a Madonna thread if you search for it. A regular contributer owns a holidy company there ans they are really helpful and will be able to advise.

The SS42 that runs through the Val de Sol is a major route and is likely to be open most of the time. Roads to ski resorts are very good at staying open for financial reasons.

Marilleva/Folgarida is a beginner areas dream and skiing across it is very easy. The Marilleva side is quite low though so so you may have to download on the way back if conditions aren't great. I was leading school groups during the times I went so it took a while to get over but I don't think it would take long with reasonable skiers. It is a truly delightful route over and Madonna is absolutely charming.

I haven't got the piste map anymore but I think it might be easier (only a couple of lifts)to get back too.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Main road it is, indeed, but that is defined by Italian mountain standards. If clear, it is still quite a challenging drive over the pass. I have only driven it in spring when following the Giro, but it was snowy then. Isn't there a skibus?

snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Was in Passo 2 years ago. Had a great day out in Madonna. Would suggest driving to the resort rather than trying to make your way from Marilleva, there's loads of nice runs on both sides of the valley from Campo Carlo, but beware of the bottom of the blue down from Passo Groste - that's a long walk!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks folks.

Where in Madonna do we head for if we drive there?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd second that about driving right to Madonna, it's a decent enough road and it will mean you can easily do the runs either side instead of clock watching to get back over to Marilleva.

You basically want to park up at the first gondola station you come to after you have gone through folgarida. From there you can access both sides of the valley, there is a travelator that takes you over a bridge over the road which is a first for me! Haven't a clue what it's called or what the parking is like though! I've been twice on the tour operators coach trip from Tonale and had probably the best days skiing of my life. Amazing views, perfect pistes and excellent food.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@japes1275, that would be Campo Carlo, it's the first gondola station as you approach Madonna from Folgarida. As you say, good access to both sides of the valley, and a thing on a bridge over the road when you get sick of one side and want to try the other. We had a good lunch at the restaurant at the top of Passo Groste.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That's brilliant - thanks folks!

SM
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy