Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Free range produce in Morzine

Poster: A snowHead
The family and I are spending the first week of March in Morzine in a self catered apartment.

Is there anywhere in Morzine where I can buy free range chicken/eggs?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Bertie Wooster, yes in the supermarket! Look for the packaging to say ´élève en plein air'
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@sarah, Thanks for that I wasn't aware that French supermarkets had embraced free range.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Bertie Wooster, yes fairly easily available now Smile
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Go to the farm in StJA. Bloody good milk, yoghurt and his own cheese.

Carrefour is a temple of decay.

I'm a Grand Frais groupie but it is in Thonon.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nadenoodlee wrote:

Carrefour is a temple of decay.

Ha ha!! You're lucky!! We have Intermarche rolling eyes
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Always a good range of organic ("bio") products in French supermarkets too, @Bertie Wooster. Not that I often buy any.

The French have long been willing to pay high prices for a good "poulet fermier".
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Nadenoodlee, could you give me some more info on the farm. We'll have the car so a 15 minute drive isn't a problem. I assume that I could also get eggs there?

If you need a point of reference to guide me then I know Bar National and the small supermarket on the way out towards Morzine (Carrefour I think).

I'd prefer to give my business to the locals rather than a supermarket.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Grand Frais groupie?

Us too.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I love it @under a new name, and it forces me to cook and eat better as no frozen or ready crap. Unless you count the pre chopped mango and raspberries
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Drive out of St Jean @Bertie Wooster, towards Thonon,about a minute is so after Bar Nash you will see a large colorful sign on the left hand side of the road (I think it has a cow on it) at the top of a track- drive all the way down into the farm yard and the little shop is in a portacabin. You might have to wait for someone to wash their hands and come and serve you. Their cheese and yoghurt are very very good.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Nadenoodlee, the pre chopped mango is a godsend for curries

Pre-chopped raspberries? I always thought they'd been designed in a handy size already?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
They do indeed @under a new name, they get added to packs of mango, what can I say I like the colors Very Happy
Then I just pop to Lidl for bin bags and the like et voila - no 2 hr ordeal in Carrefour or Cora Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Nadenoodlee, the smoked haddock, for a dyed, flavoured product is the best we've found this side of the firth of Arbroath.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've never thought to look for it @under a new name, hurrah! Now I can make fish pie properly.
ski holidays
@Nadenoodlee, they don't always have it. But can always be frozen. Not always the best de-boning, check.
snow report
We had better have a trip down to Thonon.
latest report
Then you can stop at Petit Mitron in SjDA @Pamski, home of the best Croix de Savoie in the area
snow report
@Nadenoodlee, I think that would be just up David's street.

He has two fruit cakes to get through as well, as none of our offspring really it eat them and I had made one which I was then regularly feeding, and then thought I would make another without feeding it for our eldest who has given up the booze.

Do they sell Kale at Grand Frais?
snow report
@Pamski, I think they are that faddish. yes.
ski holidays
@under a new name, oh well we will be off there then.
ski holidays
@Pamski, I don't know about the Thonon one but teh one outside Sallanches takes supermarket shopping to a whole new level. It's really good (although apparently expensive vs. Carrefour in suburban Strasbourg). No pricier to our eyes than anything else round here.
latest report
@under a new name, I had better look that one up then before we make the trip. Will it be like Waitrose?? At the moment we are having all sorts of strange things, Ready Steady Cook, from the fridges and store cupboards after all the visitors have left!
latest report
Might have to try Grand Frais myself then! Is it on the Espace Leman?
ski holidays
@Pamski, it's more like Wholefoods in the US if that helps. But for fresh produce it's great. Meat counter less exciting. But all good.
snow report
Is GF in Sallanches in the main drag? On the left travelling towards Chamonix? I've never been in there but sounds worth a visit.
latest report
No it's in Thonon @sarah, go towards Evian and turn left at the first roundabout - way before Cora and Decathlon.

@Pamski, I've never found Kale - but plenty of other lovely things. I think they're still feeding kale to cattle here.... It just does fruit, veg, meat, fish, dairy and a few bits of dried stuff. All the house stuff you need to get elsewhere.

I don't think it's that expensive - for what you get and it is super fresh!
latest report
@Nadenoodlee, thanks!! Will find it! Is it any good for exotic ingredients?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh god yes @sarah, we managed to get all the Thai ingredients we needed without going to Bonneville. Although Mr NN now insists on buying 10€ a week of passion fruit because it's there
ski holidays
Also if anyone is down there this week the red globe grapes are delicious
latest report
@Nadenoodlee, fabulous news! My OH is a big curry chef! We usually find some of our stuff at the Coop in Monthey which is actually closer than Thonon.
ski holidays
@under a new name, I know Wholefoods in the States, and I think I went to one in High Street Kensington, a few years ago so that sounds good.
@Nadenoodlee, we used to have trouble buying parsnips here until a few years ago, similarly being fed to the cattle. I stick a big bag in the freezer at home and just use a frozen handful for OH's healthy smoothie in the morning at home.
snow conditions
Pamski wrote:
We had better have a trip down to Thonon.

There is a grand frais in cluses too, bit closer to Les gets
ski holidays
@Libertine, thank you, but I think a trip to Thonon might be more pleasant than Cluses which we avoid studiously.
latest report
So do I @Pamski, this grim over there. When I was being quite brilliant I used to run in Thonon early on Sunday morning- Grand Frais for all the good stuff - and a petit Mitron Croix de Savoie on the way home might explain why my weight loss wasn't all that rapid Very Happy
snow conditions
It's a little tricky to find.@pam w, leave Sallanches in CHX direction, on the left, turn left immediately you pass it.
snow conditions
This thread is perhaps going to become the most tedious in snowheads history. So important. It beggars belief. Apologies in advance for offence.
latest report
barbossine wrote:
This thread is perhaps going to become the most tedious in snowheads history. So important. It beggars belief. Apologies in advance for offence.

Ha ha!! You ain't seen nothing yet! Laughing

Welcome to SHs snowHead
latest report
I must admit, i did think wtf, when i spotted the thread, but as my OH pointed out everyone has different needs. I will add my OH is a menopausal nutter (love her dearly). But she has a point i guess.
ski holidays
People have to eat, @gazzaredcruiser. wink we don't all want to live on tartiflette and spag bol...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy