Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Weekend break advice

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, I'm considering trying to nip out to Austria for a cheeky weekend break next weekend (so around the 15th). I've had a look around and was thinking of just staying in Innsbruck itself, renting a car and commuting out to resorts dependant on the snow / what takes my fancy.

Do we think this is a good plan or is it just a recipe to be stuck in traffic / huge weekend lift queues for the weekend? Also can anyone who is out there give me a heads up on conditions?

Cheers!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Zillertal Valley is only a hour or so from Inns and the ski pass includes the whole valley from Fugen right up to the glacier at Hintertux at the top of the valley. Mayrfofen is probably the best stay. Although Kaltenbach is also a nice place. Car not needed, train is a good option.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chamonix used to be a good weekend break.. Only an hour from Geneva airport with easyjet, within an hour youre in the guinness bar, i usedcto stay at the Excelsior hotel ..
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
London Treviso then the Eastern Dollies. Cheapest way to do a weekend and magnificent skiing with the best scenery, snow making and piste skiing on Earth.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Soll or Ellmau are great for weekends, only 1 hour form the airport (munich) geat ski area lovely places. Done a few weekends at both in the last few years.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Schnee42, Innsbruck is an excellent base. Of course you do have to travel to the resorts each day, but traffic is really not a problem. And public transport works very well too.

I skied Axamer Lizum on Saturday, and the pistes were actually quite good! I was expecting it to be god-awful, so was very nicely surprised! Offpiste is a no go though. Skied Ischgl on Sunday, and there's a lot more snow, offpiste is possible but dangerous (in terms of avlanches), and pistes are generally very good except for the maybe the bottom 500m.

It has been snowing at all the Innsbruck resorts today, and likely to be more over the week. However the further west you go (Arlberg, Ischgl), the more snow you get (also Stubai to the south is doing quite ok atm).

From IBK I'd rather go west than east to Soll/SkiWelt atm, though I gather conditions are ok in SkiAmade/Schladming too.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just head straight to St Anton / Lech.

Best skiing. Best snow.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Traffic can be a bit slow into Solden. Not awful (maybe 10 to 15 minutes queuing into town/car park), but every minute sat in a car instead of skiing feels like a long time... Other than that, traffic should be OK, or you could just take the direct train to St Anton.
Current forecast indicates there could be a heavy dump of snow this weekend, which would slow down driving. In general the roads to resorts around western Austria are more accessible than e.g. to some French resorts, and the roads are unlikely to be blocked
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
personally I'd go to St Anton, Solden or Obergurgl and minimise the driving
/ maximise the skiing - all are high enough to be snow sure
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Staying in Innsbruck, and driving out to Zillertal is my usual choice. Have been meaning to try other places.
If it's snowing in the valley I pick Kaltenbach, park in the multistorey by the lifts, knowing there's no faff cleaning snow off car at the end of the day. If it's not snowing, I pick Zell am Ziller or Mayrhofen (horbergbahn carpark). Kaltenbach is the easiest by train in the Zillertal, although local public transport from Innsbruck to one of the local resorts is even easier.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@cameronphillips2000, "best scenery, snow making and piste skiing on Earth."

Yeah, cos', like, Chamonix, Courmayeur, Verbier, et al. all suck at all of these things.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the replies! Those who know the area how is the drive up from Venice to the Stella Ronda Dolomites? I can get a cheap flight to there but I've not driven the Italian mountain roads before. No huge snow fall is forecast between now and then so I'm guessing just winter tyres (do they come as standard in Italy) and no chains in a small hatchback would be fine?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Schnee42, no Italian hire cars do not come with snow tyres and generally there isn't an option to add them.

Friends rented from Turin at the weekend and were most impressed with the woman in front of them who argued until blue in the face that the agent should show her a. That the chains were the correct size and b. How they worked. Under protest he accompanied them to her car and the chains were not only the wrong size, but broken... rolling eyes much shouting ensued...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If it's only for a weekend just stay somewhere convenient to ski. Maximise the time on the slope and minimise the faff.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Schnee42, Flight times into Innsbruck were rubbish last time I looked and not well suited to weekend skiing. Better flying to Salzburg, Munich, Geneva, Milan or Turin. All of which have better flight times at weekend. I like Munich for Austria, but Geneva closer to skiing as lots of resorts an hour or under
snow conditions
@Schnee42, reference winter tyres, I think it depends who you rent with. Hired from sixt at Milan Malpensa recently and had both winter tyres and chains at no extra cost. Indeed all sixt cars had winter tyres as they are mandatory in that region according to the signs.
ski holidays
@Snowsartre, they are nominally mandatory on the Aoste autoroutes, but hey, Italy!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy