Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wide Skis and Bad Knees

Poster: A snowHead
Just back from a 5 week trip in the Alps. In the first week or so I used my newish soul 7s. My left knee became very swollen. I took 3 days off. Physio, anti-inflamm gel and icing got the knee back to normal size. Conditions had started to worsen due to lack of new snow. That and the knee made me think my old watea 84s should be used. So I used these for the remaining 3 weeks. The wateas are now defunct after damaging an edge on the penultimate day. During the 3 weeks I followed a regime of physio, anti-inflamm gel and the odd icing.
The wateas are 84mm under foot. The souls 106mm.
During the last 3 weeks swelling was negligible.
The question: was the extra ski width largely responsible for the swelling? This was largely on top of the knee, gave out heat and was tender to the touch. The knee has reacted like this before but to nowhere near the same extent.
History is a cartilage injury aged 11(now 56). Chronic tendonitis in my 20s - a Dr Shakespeare from Stratford said I had the knees of a 50 yo at the time. Some arthritis elsewhere so may be relevant. Lots of sport over many years. Fit and strong before going skiing.
So do I need to ditch the wide skis?
I will have a scan done at the end of the season if the problem reoccurs on my other trips.
Any experience or knowledge appreciated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PS I use ski mojos.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Off-piste skiing can be hard on the knees, especially if the wrong stance is adopted, ie sitting back, or maybe just it was just coincidence?
I'll take the skis if you don't want them Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Was the affected knee the one which had the previous injury?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Mark1863, were you skiing (mostly) on piste or off piste?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Mark1863, where in the Alps did you find snow calling for 106mm skis at Christmas and new year?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've been skiing 122 rocker2's all week and was very worried about my knees (scar tissue in the right and damaged MCL in the left) and had no more pain than usual!

Maybe you need to go bigger! Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Agreed, my 117's make the skiing much easier on my old worn-out knees!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dr Shakespeare from Stratford?................
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
This has been discussed a couple of times on snowHeads I think, including this time and this time.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

Hmmm. Lunchtime today guess which ones are mine.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ahhh, @jbob, bet they weren't were they? But ... Rossi 4G. Nice ski. 7G a totally better animal ...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Mark1863,

With cartilage trouble age 11 sounds like you may have a bit of arthritic change in the knee .

A knee like that is very sensitive to " new experiences" and many people who can participate in their regular activities get into trouble when they try something new. It is therefore important to pace your self when staring something you haven't done for a while. Shorten your first day so you don't blow it for the whole week on day one. You are at your most fatigued on day three so have that day off or shorten it. Try to avoid skiing with an effusion, so ice, ice etc. Use a compression sleeve and if you tolerate them take
Anti inflammatory medication.

The problem with fat skiis seems to crop up mainly in people who have suddenly switched to them having been used to a much narrower ski.

Given the conditions early season I would suggest that the very icy conditions were as relevant as any trigger for your knee flare up. Worn knees do not like ice and bullet hard pistes!

Jonathan Bell
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for your replies especially @Jonathan Bell for his professional advice.
Neither of my sets of skis are good on hardpack. I did not want to wreck the soul 7s on stones either. I did not go off piste much at all because of the conditions. Was in the Espace Killy.
Yes it was the same knee as the previous damage.
@Jonathan Bell, when should I use the compression sleeve?
I do not think it is technique that is causing it.
Once the swelling starts it does not like putting force through it; e.g climbing stairs; so lead with my right leg and a stair at a time.
The cartilage damage was done actually on my 11th birthday. Lunchtime football practice. The day of my 11 plus. So did the afternoon part of the exam with my leg on a chair. I had been putting a shilling a week for a year into a bike shop saving scheme. Due to get my bike that afternoon. Could not ride it for 2 months. There was no operation. It still hurts now - in both senses.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Mark1863, with the knee history you have I'd suggest a narrower pair of skis if you are on piste, especially in the conditions that we had during most of December.
snow report
Quote:

It is therefore important to pace your self when staring something you haven't done for a while. Shorten your first day so you don't blow it for the whole week on day one. You are at your most fatigued on day three so have that day off or shorten it.
Note to self: try and follow this advice on upcoming trip. Unfortunately, my knees tend not to hurt until I stop skiing, by which time I've kept going for the whole day as usual.
Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@Mark1863,

We sell the bio skin ( standard) which I think is as good as any. It's about £30. No point spending more.
It should be used any time you are likely to make the knee swell as the compression will help. They also improve proprioception ( feedback) from slightly worn knees .
latest report
@Jonathan Bell, I always wear compression tights for exercise, but I guess these things of which you speak (and of which I've never heard) are tighter. Maybe I should invest in a pair. (I know I've got some arthritis going on in the knees - a very good physio told me so. wink j
latest report
I am ditching mine. I have a damaged cartilage underneath patella and I definitely feel the difference. Off-piste was OK, but when I had to ski the groomed slopes to get down it was a torture, I had to stop every few turns. No swelling, but my knee was really sore for a couple of days. Luckily I am light so don't really need fat (112) skis, to as I can get enough float on skis with 90-95 waist, so will stick to this width for the time being.
ski holidays
@Jonathan Bell,
I normally wear compression tights as a base layer on the legs, and sometimes a cheap support on whichever knee is giving me bother when I get up in the morning.
I was thinking of a more sophisticated support for both knees - any recommendations? I know support are not as good as braces but I can't afford fitted braces!
snow report
Again thanks for the advice. Will see if I can pick something up.
Admin was thinking of compulsory renaming me robocop because as well as the mojos I wear a top with plastic shoulder pads(left shoulder wrecked and op'd on a few years ago). So some knee "sleeves" will just add to the general impression/amusement
ski holidays
@haigie,

Check out the link on my name below. It takes you to my blog entries, one is on braces.Cheap and simple is best for a mildly worn knee .?try a Bioskin standard skin. You can get one from us or online. They are about £30

Jonathan Bell

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 15-01-16 16:41; edited 1 time in total
latest report
I've come to the conclusion that if I can ski off piste with a modicum of succes on a sub 100 width ski the why do I need to go bigger?

I've tried all sorts from 100-120 underfoot and whatever way you dress it up it is harder physically to ski this width of ski on anything other than the optimum conditions for which it has been designed.

For an above average but still effectively a 10 -14 day a year skier like myself,the amount of times you drop lucky and get and powder day are becoming less and less IMO.

For those non powder days when encountering the full gammut of mixed conditions both on or off piste a 90-100 underfoot ski is preferable and certainly much less tiring.

Am I the only one who has actually made a conscious decision to downsize slightly?
snow report
Quote:

For those non powder days when encountering the full gammut of mixed conditions both on or off piste a 90-100 underfoot ski is preferable and certainly much less tiring.

I agree with that. If I only had one pair of skis they would probably be in that range. I can ski fat skis on hard pistes but its not much fun. I can have a lot of fun in soft snow on narrower skis even if fatter skis are better.
latest report
hedley wrote:
Am I the only one who has actually made a conscious decision to downsize slightly?
Not so much a decision to downsize, but I do try to be on the right ski for the conditions as best I can. Depending on where I'm skiing I sometimes have a choice of ski to use, so this week I've been on 78mm piste ski, a 90mm all-mountain ski and a 115mm rockered off-piste ski, depending on the snow conditions. If I don't have the luxury of choice I have to compromise, so depending on what I'm mostly going to be skiing it will either be the 78mm piste ski or the 90mm all-mountain ski. Going for my 65mm GS ski or my 115mm powder ski is just too niche and compromises the fun too much unless I can guarantee I'm skiing the conditions for which those skis were designed.
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
hedley wrote:
Not so much a decision to downsize, but I do try to be on the right ski for the conditions as best I can. Depending on where I'm skiing I sometimes have a choice of ski to use, so this week I've been on 78mm piste ski, a 90mm all-mountain ski and a 115mm rockered off-piste ski, depending on the snow conditions. If I don't have the luxury of choice I have to compromise, so depending on what I'm mostly going to be skiing it will either be the 78mm piste ski or the 90mm all-mountain ski. Going for my 65mm GS ski or my 115mm powder ski is just too niche and compromises the fun too much unless I can guarantee I'm skiing the conditions for which those skis were designed.

That's some quiver Very Happy
latest report
I've been watching this thread with some interest and a little trepidation as someone who has been recovering from hip re-surfacing and anticipating more effort going into the knees, which have suffered with fluid in the past, when I finally got the wide skis out. I've been using an all mountain Rossi 83, but finally got the 110s out, with this thread in the back of my mind. Having now experimented a little my conclusion: absolutely no problem in powder; no problem on a true carve with the frame stacked, in fact easier on both hip and knee; however if there is any skidding or lack of commitment (poor light) then I feel tension in the knees. IMHO the issue is the wider skis will in theory put strain on the ankles on a skid, but our stiff boots transfer that to the knees. If you can stack the skeleton and carve (which is not going to be possible all the time) problem solved! In icy conditions as there were in Ek up to a couple of weeks ago - leave the wide boys in the locker.
snow conditions
It's a hard thing with knees, they're the most complex joint in the human body. Wider skis are shown to increase stress on the knees, but that is dependant on how you ski.

strictly speaking about ON PISTE here, the wider your skis the more you need to be bent at the knee and the more forward your weight needs to be over your foot.

My Atomic Vantage 90s were delayed in the post a few weeks ago, so had to borrow a pair of really narrow skis - cant remember anything about them apart from the fact they were narrow, and black. I found them so narrow (comparatively to the 85 - 90mm underfoot i'm used to ) that I was coming on to the edges so fast I couldn't initiate a wide or aggressive carve... although they were a lot softer on the knee because effort was far reduced - they were uncomfortable for my skiing style.

The wider the ski, the more the weight/effort/knee bend comes in to play - ever wondered why the number of people on wider skis not turning properly (often dressed like 'dudes' or whatever, wearing avy packs) head almost straight line down the piste is increasing?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy