Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What Ski Resort from MUC kids and Off Piste

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Forgive me. Yet another stoopid what resort thread. Believe me, I have googled, I have searched, but I thought I'd check opinions to see what gems you can recommend. Looking for recommendations for the family for half term, arriving at Munich on Saturday, returning Sunday 8 days after.

Not too expensive.
Good off piste options, maybe with a guide.
Some pistes.
Snowy
Gemutlichkeit.

Not bothered about the usual "oh we need at least 400 parsecs of piste to keep us busy for a week" bollox
Very flexible on accommodation.

Was thinking about Vent in Oetztal, but I think that might just be too little piste.
Or Kappl, Or Galtur, Or Zillertaal.

Been to St Anton, Mayerhfn, Gerlose, Kitz, Soll, Arabba (the greatest place on earth in my view), Wolkenstein, Cortina, Seefeld and various other places in the general vicinity of Munich.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@TheGeneralist,
Of those I have been to Kappl and Galtur.
Kappl is great for kids and has a very decent ski area not large but by no means tiny I have always been in Feb the main downside from your point of view is that it is pretty much all south facing and the off piste can get quite crusty if you get a warm Feb though it can be very nice as well. ( I haven't explored it extensively as I have skied mainly in Ischgl for Kappl)

Galtur is a little smaller but very pleasant and has some great off piste being more North facing it holds it snow very well and generally has good snow quality in my experience. Probably a bit more Gemutlichkeit than Kappl but a bit pricier too.

PS on a fairly brief visit when staying at Obertauern I would have Zauchensee on my list. Sammerberg Sue is one to ask about that but I went for two days and loved it.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Fieberbrunn maybe?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Zauchensee might be a good option. The kids would love it over in Flachauwinkl with the park and half pipe (although it was grass when we skied past it a few weeks ago).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
clarky999 wrote:
Fieberbrunn maybe?

That's what came into my mind too.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
clarky999 wrote:
Fieberbrunn maybe?

Great little area...linked to the Saalbach-Hinterglemm SkiCircus from this season...not much accommodation near the lift-base though.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
TheGeneralist wrote:
Forgive me. Yet another stoopid what resort thread. Believe me, I have googled, I have searched, but I thought I'd check opinions to see what gems you can recommend. Looking for recommendations for the family for half term, arriving at Munich on Saturday, returning Sunday 8 days after.

Not too expensive.
Good off piste options, maybe with a guide.
Some pistes.
Snowy
Gemutlichkeit.

Not bothered about the usual "oh we need at least 400 parsecs of piste to keep us busy for a week" bollox
Very flexible on accommodation.

Was thinking about Vent in Oetztal, but I think that might just be too little piste.
Or Kappl, Or Galtur, Or Zillertaal.

Depnends how far you want ot travel really from Munich. From your description, I'd say teh best place in The Alps for you may well be Monta Rosa.
Interesting what you say about Arabba. Often overlooked as an area with some very serious skiing, rather than just part of the Sella Ronda

If you cross over the Italian border things will be cheaper. This is a good list of good Off piste options. Interestingly, Tonale and Livigno are both on it.

Been to St Anton, Mayerhfn, Gerlose, Kitz, Soll, Arabba (the greatest place on earth in my view), Wolkenstein, Cortina, Seefeld and various other places in the general vicinity of Munich.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Austria's full of great little resorts...Kals-Matrei, Warth-Schrocken, Damuls-Mellau, Dienten am Hochkonig, Nauders might fit the bill.

Here: http://www.bergfex.com/oesterreich/

If you can only get Sat-Sat accommodation, you might need to head back twd Munich on Saturday evening for an overnight.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Which resorts have good snow at the moment close to Munich? Looks like I'll be in the area early March for work so I am trying to plan a weekend ski beforehand!!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@kitenski, a lot can happen between now and March in terms of snow as you well know. Do you have access to a hire car or not? If you do, then the world is your oyster so to speak. If you are dependent on public transport then the BOB and the Kufstein/Innsbruck/GAP trains often have people on them in ski gear and skis travelling to one resort or another for the day. In early March you should bring your skiing gear but as to which skis, make that decision closer to the time wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Samerberg Sue, yes I'll have a car, but also interested in which resorts have a decent base at the moment, so I can get a shortish list of places to keep an eye on. From a brief look last night some of the closer resorts seemed to have a lower snow level,.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@kitenski, between now and then who knows what can happen. Garmisch is suffering but has finally managed to get all its snow cannons on today, particularly preparing the base for the World Cup races this month and next. However it is still touch and go as to whether the races will go ahead there or switched elsewhere. The Sudelfeld/Spitzingsee/Schliersee area is open and has a base and offers some interesting off-piste when conditions are good. The Allgäu areas have not been so blessed with cold temperatures and as a result for example Ofterschwang lost its scheduled World Cup races this weekend and they were taken on by Flachau.

Ask in the middle of next month and we should have a better idea of what may or may not be available.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Samerberg Sue, precisely my point, those resorts with a reasonable base are likely to be in better shape in March than those with little or no base, hence my wanting to start to get a list of places to research!!

But I'll go do some research and come back after half term to get specific Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ho hum, rather erratically have booked somewhere which rather predictable...
After seeing how easy the train should be, we've booked St Anton. Just have to decide which of the guiding outfits to use for the off piste bit. And indeed ski school for the kids.

Any recommendations?

Thanks for the suggestions, all.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy