Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kids ski level

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
In preparartion for our ski holiday in March, we're taking our Daughter (5) to ski lessons on the local dry slope.

She did a course last year before going (beginners course) and then a week on France, at the end of that week she was confidently using a snowplough to stop and going back to parallel (sort of) to keep on going.

It's been a year now, and her options are:

Level 2 - this is for kids that just completed the first level on the slope and can make a plough shape - they progress to use a snowplough to stop
Level 3 - kids that can control their speed and use a snowplough to stop - course develops snowplough technique and intorduces the snowplough turn

Based on last year I would have said level 3 would be appropiate, but, as it's been a year I'm tempted on level 2 - my husband thinks we should put her on level 3

So, obviously we're doing what any responsible parents will do, we're leaving the internet to decide - what would you recommend?

Or more seriously, anyone with experience with young kids, what would you recommend? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Level 3 sounds fine. Is that on a local dry slope? Phone and ask them.

My 5 year old granddaughter just completed a week in France having only done "hands on knees" with daddy before. By the last day she skied to and from the lesson on long blue runs in shocking conditions at Christmas. Kids learn astonishingly fast.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Level 3 sounds fine. If the lessons happen at the same time (typically Sat AM) then they will be able to assess her ability quite quickly and move her up or down. As @pam w says phone the slope and ask,they will have lots of experience with similar children.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi thanks, I did called them, the level 3 is at 2pm and the level 2 is at 3pm, they did recommended level 2 since they cannot guarantee a space on level 2 if level 3 is too much for her... but I'm thinking moving down can be done and they may be so keen on moving her up...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
5 year olds can forget a lot in a year, so I think you are right to be cautious and asking this sort of question. Pam is right that they can learn astonishingly fast, but they can also forget things pretty quickly. I think discussing it with the slope and asking their advice would be the best option, especially asking what they would do if she ended up in the "wrong" level, either too low or too high. There is a big difference in the lesson I would structure for children who can reliably hold a snowplough (i.e. entry to level 3 by the sound of it) compared to those who are comfortable on skis but can't yet hold the snowplough (entry to level 2).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
What did she do in her week in France? My granddaughter got chucked into her first lesson in the pouring rain without even a chance to do some "hands on knees" with Dad, because late flight arrival messed up planned timings. We were apprehensive as a result especially as the nursery slope was ice and slush but she was OK. Depends on the child. What does she think? Resilient kid? She could get very bored if its too basic. But if she's a bit reluctant and would prefer to be the best performer in the group, there's your answer.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We had the exact same situation with our daughter who is just about to turn 5, although we did no pre-holiday course last year, just skied in resort (3 mornings lessons/ski kindergarten, the rest of the time with us, she was doing fairly confident(but 3yr old!) plough/parallel by the time we left).

She went back to the Chill Factore and started their stage 3 which starts from initiating snowplough turns, and was fine. We did do quite a bit of talking about 'pizza' skis and practiced the stance etc. at home before we went to the Chill Factore, so she wasn't just totally bewildered when we arrived.

She's now doing stage 4 and we are off for half term. I'm really glad we went back for some lessons, as much for confidence as for any actual technical ability.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
From experience the instructors will/should advise if your children need to step up, stay put or move down a level.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
From my experience the staff will be keen to move her up as soon as possible because the lower lessons are very popular. A good instructor will cope at level 2 with a child who can do everything well and recommend level 3 next time and as Pam says she may be the best in the group. 1 lesson repeating the last thing she learnt on her holiday is no bad thing and will get her off to a good start.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
In my experience they do tend to move them around, not just at the start but throughout the week too depending on how fast or slow they progress. Two of mine have been with Evo2 this week in Tignes and their class makeup has been different every morning. There was some movement with ESF when we came a few years ago too.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

5 year olds can forget a lot in a year

that's what I'm afraid

Quote:

What did she do in her week in France?

She was on the ski kindergarden with Spirit, I think, she started on the beginer level and by the end of the week she was going down with us on easy blues, with a lot of "stop/ok now go" shouting from me - she could do a snowplough stop on demand, but being 4 she didn't used it to control her speed.

Quote:

What does she think? Resilient kid?

She's just very excited since she wants to take lessons to ski with mom and dad in the afternoons.
She's fairly resilient, very competitive, but last year I had to stay at the bottom of the dry slope (the teachers require parents to stay) and give her a chocolate button everytime she completed the nursery run to "encourage her" (aka bribe her) to go back up - so I'm tempted on putting her on the level 2 to reinforce what she learnt last year and give her a boost of confidence
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yrs, that sounds right, given that description! Better too easy than too challenging.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy