Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Gets - PDS - Tips to keep a reluctant skier happy

Poster: A snowHead
I've nagged my better half into giving this skiing thing one more go. She's not bad - just a bit of a worrier - and truth be known she's only agreed as she knows how obsessed with the white stuff I am. And how much I nag. And how much I grump.

So - any tips to keep a reluctant and nervous skier happy(er)?

Skip the obvious ones like
* Lessons (half day ones booked)
* Not pushing her (who me?)
* Go on separate holiday (already are - this is 'investment' for future family hols when boys can ski)[/list]

After things like
* Areas to go to
* Areas/Runs to avoid
* Nice things to show (views/stuff)
* Outright bribery (spa?)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We have a number of friends who we are trying to get into skiing, but having never tried it so balk at the expense. The suggestion seems to go down best when it would be a holiday with group that contains other beginner/non skiers, the resort is scenic and there are other things to do if the skiing doesn't go down too well. Nice meals out and relaxing in a spa would probably also help...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Le gets is a relatively easy resort though the runs on Mont Chery are quite hard. I would bear in mind that its also low down and can suffer from bad snow. When are you going? She won't enjoy skiing sludge!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'll be watching this as thread as we are going there for the first time and I'm also a nervous skier.
Can I ask:
How long does it take to ski from Les Gets to Avoriaz?
Which pass is better, Les Gets/Morzine or PdS?

My tip as a nervous skier is to have plenty of stops for coffee and avoid ridges if possible
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stay in Morzine Les Gets if you are a nervous skier - plenty of blues for you there. As for getting to Avoriaz - depends how fsat you ski but maybe 40mins including lifts to get up and over to Morzine then across to Super M bubble. Other option is to get the bus from Les Gets straight into MOrzine and save your skiing legs til you get to Avoriaz.

@Ryan, well done on getting the lessons in this will work wonders. There is a spa in the Hotel Chamois and also the Hotel Marmotte I think? To be honest all the ski area in Morzine/ Les Gets is nice - stick to blues until she is more confident and you won`t go wrong. Are you in a chalet or a hotel?

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 7-01-16 12:56; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Tip for nervous skier, frequent stops at mountain restaurants involving hot chocolate with rum or grand marnier in it. At least, that works for me if I am having a bit of a wobble.

One of my favourite blue runs in Les Gets is the Choucas, a 5km or so run from the top of the Nauchets Express chair down towards Morzine. A lot of it is a road in the summer, so it's a gentle incline through the forest, very scenic. Part way down is the family favourite hot chocolate stop, opposite the bottom of the Chamossiere lift, Les Blanchots. The guy there can provide the aforementioned hot chocolate with rum, grand marnier or cognac, and it comes with a Mr Whippy ice cream sized topping of whipped cream.

Half way down you take the Troncs chair, then come down a wide open hill, before rejoining the forest road. At the end of the run is the novelty of skiing across a bridge and the option of a blue run to the Pleney bubble in Morzine (snow permitting) or a chairlift back over to the Les Gets side, followed by a blue down to the village. The restaurant at the top of that chair, Le Vaffieu, is "tres charmant" and does a nice Vin Chaud and an amazing chocolate brownie (not to mention amazing food at lunchtime).

I have taken beginners/improves and first time back on skis for 10 years down there and it gives them the right balance of challenge they can cope with but a sense of real achievement at the end.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My suggestion would be NOT to suggest any skiing outside her lessons. And if she volunteers only ski runs she has done with her instructor.

Another suggestion. If you've never tried it, take snowboarding lessons. Puts you on a more equal footing and she can have a laugh every time you catch an edge.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@WrekingGirl - thanks for the tips.

@pam_w - I've been a snowboarder (and occasional skier) for a long time but she still gets quite a few laughs why I try to show off doing some jumpy spinny thing off a bump/lip/drop on the side.
- re: arvo skiing. She took most off on 2nd trip but she felt was quickly falling behind her lesson group and then wanted to get out and practice - hard balance.

@bettys - Les Gets/Morzine is £150 or so, Full Port-Du-Solei is closer to £200. I am going to get the full one but Mrs Ryan will only get the Les Gets/Morzine one as there is plenty there for her. Check out the maps of Les Gets/Morzine with links on the right hand side to the full PDS area - its a HUGE area.

http://en.lesgets.com/snow-ski/practical-informations/map-les-gets.html
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Be prepared to give up some of your ski time. My OH is not quite as mad for skiing as I am. I was reminded quite strongly that we were on a holiday together. Of course your OH may be happy for you to disappear all day around PDS and meet you as the lifts close. In which case your a lucky boy. This year I have my lads ski week and my family one. I will chill out and cruise around with the OH on the family one.

Easy to you is testing to a nervous skier. I remember when I started skiing, staring down 'easy blues' thinking 'what the hell are you doing suggesting I ski this'.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Les Gets side definitely better for beginners than the Avoriaz side overall - there are a couple of easy blues back from Avoriaz to the super morzine lift, but she'll probably have to pole for a little bit if you go all the way back to the Avoriaz itself.

However, as a confidence builder, take the first lift from the top of the super morzine and ski back down again. There's a few cafes at the top of the super morzine lift, one of which (the upper most one) has (d) a white cat that slept in a box at the bar, a fire outside and a good atmosphere so she can ski a bit on something easy and more importantly, really quiet, have a hot chocolate and repeat.

The main area of Les Gets, not the bowl, but the bit around the town itself is one huge area of green run and enough room for her to play and practise, with all the bars and cafes at the bottom.

I prefer the French side of the PDS to the Swiss side too - they don't mark the runs as well, so it's easier to get lost on that side, there's less bars and cafes, a few drag tows etc. I do enjoy doing the full loop, especially in time to get a decent lunch in Chatel, but it's too far for a slow and nervous beginner skier.

Ice hockey is always a good thing to do on a Thursday night if the Penguins are playing at home too. Centre of Morzine, down by the river.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you try to make it a winter holiday rather than just skiing, it might work better. 3 hours a day is quite enough for a reluctant skier. Go for walks, snow-shoeing, skating, cross country skiing maybe. Do stuff together that she will enjoy.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
From what I can remember , the first corner on Choucas can be a litte hard for beginners/nervous skiiers, but then it is a nice easy run.
The first time my wife went skiing she had problems with the final slope down down to the Folliets du Golf lift where the Crocus and Bruyere runs meet up. It's very wide, but get's very ploughed up in the afternoon. The BASS instructors called it "horrible hill"!
Gentiane is a really nice and long easy blue.
Over on the Nyon side, my wife really enjoyed the blue down from the Troncs Express to the Nyon car. Lievre from there to the bottom of the lift is a nice run, and was always quiet when we did it.
Of course my wife now skis pretty much anything on piste Little Angel
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
One thing to bear in mind is that it can take a while to get from one part to another and it's easy to get lost. Getting lost with tired ski legs isn't fun!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There are some nice long blues through the trees in the area. I would suggest paying for a nice hotel so that when you come back at the end of the day there is somewhere to relax and you won't have to worry about the food.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
wadgebeast wrote:
However, as a confidence builder, take the first lift from the top of the super morzine and ski back down again. There's a few cafes at the top of the super morzine lift, one of which (the upper most one) has (d) a white cat that slept in a box at the bar, a fire outside and a good atmosphere so she can ski a bit on something easy and more importantly, really quiet, have a hot chocolate and repeat.

Home of the best vin chaud I've had anywhere.
snow conditions
I have the same problem but agree that if she is in lessons (all day) meet at the end. If no lesson and she is not skiing meet for Lunch and do something else. With her. This is "her" holiday not your other trip so look after her and maybe she will eventually get to like it. 8th last skiing trip coming up for my wife who hates it with a passion - she does want to go to see the daughter though as she is out instructing.
Load for her to do over the Les Gets side and I remember a nice quite bit near the top of Pleney lift which had a great cafe on it too. Just looped that when I went there as a beginner.
It is a very long way from Les Gets to Avoriaz by snow. If you are meeting for lunch just not worth it I would have thought. As has been said if you really feel you have to then Bus is the answer.
ski holidays
Alcohol.
ski holidays
Hasn't been a problem that can't be solved by booze.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy