Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Young kids - drive of fly

Poster: A snowHead
Sure this has been asked a bazillion times but here goes.

Going Alps (Morzine area) with 2 adults, a 2 yr old and a 10 month old. Neither brats have much patience for cars (2-3 hrs usually - they don't travel that much).

We have choice of some awful early flights (6:30am both ways) or driving.

- What would you do and why?

- If Driving would you try and do the main chunk overnight (switching drivers) to keep kids sleeping, or do over 2 days with breaks and hotel stops.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A lot depends on where in the UK you live?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Devon! But flights offered are from Gatwick so need to get there anyway so kind of discounted that. + Have family in Reading we can stay with the night before.

Driving idea is to keep daytime hours to short hops - then get on Ferry/Chunnel 7pm or so and hope the lil'men stay asleep the rest of the way there. Maybe Mad - but flights (especially crazy early ones) and associated faff at both ends is no fun either.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There's no right answer and the journey could be difficult however you do it. When are you going? Personally I'd drive overnight but that doesn't suit everybody.

You're very brave!!

My kids have always flown with little ones, but they had me to provide a (free) airport taxi service and I insisted they didn't come on a Saturday if they wanted me to meet them!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kids can't drive, that's downright irresponsible Very Happy

I don't have kids but suspect that it'll will be awkward either way. Driving is going to take some serious time (it must be a good 4 hours to the channel even in good traffic) so I'd be tempted to fly. On the other hand my brother flew with his 2 year old and said 'never again'.

Guess it depends on how likely it is that they'll sleep soundly for the drive down France. If it isn't going to happen then at least flying can be split into a series of small trips (e.g home to Reading, Reading to airport, flight, transfer) rather than hour after hour in the back of a car. Time wise you'll be looking at fairly similar amounts I reckon, unless you can find a flight from Bristol.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd never drive overnight as I'd be prone to sleepiness.
By the time you've driven to Gatwick you may as well keep going. Getting to the Chunnel for 7 means the m25 at peak on a Friday.

Will a car be of use in resort? Are transfers included in your flight package? Self catering?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There are plenty of Easyjet flights from Bristol to Geneva.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Ryan,
You know your kids best. I have done both with young children though older than yours when driving. Personally I find flying far more relaxing particularly when I have to go to work afterwards but I do have further to drive.
What time of year are you travelling? early spring is a much mroe pleasant drive than midwinter particularly if there are break downs etc.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
if I was you, I would drive the main chunk on the Friday during the day taking regular stops then book a room within a short hop from morzine for the Friday evening, that is what we are doing, leaving bath for about 4am, but to be fair our kids are 12 and 9 and travel really well, you will still need two car seats and associated equipment for a 6month and 2 year old for in resort if you fly.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It depend on whether or not you consider the other people on the aircraft! In the car only you suffer their discomfort, on the aircraft it's shared with with lots of others Very Happy .
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes, it's true that you can encounter some very grouchy and intolerant people on planes. An entire 1.5 hours sitting near others and their children. Absolutely ghastly! rolling eyes
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just assess carefully time required with both options. If flying, check how much in advannce you leave to the airport, time waiting for a transfer, transfer time etc. At least in a car you would have more flexibility of when to stop for a break etc. Although driving with a 10 month old wont be easy....
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
Yes, it's true that you can encounter some very grouchy and intolerant people on planes. An entire 1.5 hours sitting near others and their children. Absolutely ghastly! rolling eyes

Really not grouchy - just trying to shift the focus from what is most convenient for 'me' to some of the other people involved. The baby doesn't want to be on the plane - flying isn't a pleasant expereince even when you know what's going on and made the decision to be there. If I was 6 months old I'd wail too. Is it that unreasonable to ask people to consider others around them? Flying to Oz to allow granny to meet grandson - there's no other option and it's fair enough. A ski holiday is different IMHO.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

There's no right answer

This! Seriously you know your preferences, your kids and how well you will cope in various situations. It also depends on where you are staying.

For us, we have always driven with young kids and had an overnight stop in hotel. That's as we really didn't fancy tackling an airport with babies and all their associated paraphernalia. Plus, as we were self catering, we could take what we needed easily.

But! That worked for us in our particular situation - flying will work for others
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We always flew with our when they were small (3 & 5). It was part of the adventure.
latest report
Our two were born April and may and have always travelled by car to that area, Les Gets \ samoens from their first year.

We are just over an hour from eurotunnel and leave home Friday night approx 8pm to avoid m25 traffic, so usually on train before 10pm. Ours have normally slept well through the night with some stops at services throughout.

It is tiring and won't suite all drivers but it's nice to get there in as compact a time as possible for us and relax into the skiing week, I like driving toward the dawn as well as the roads are quiet and peaceful and sometimes you get a beautiful sunrise as you turn east near dijon on the autoroute blanch.

Guess the Gatwick option for you would work best with one of those one night stay inclusive of a week's parking at the airport to make no travelling for an early start (some details on another current thread on here) as the transfer from Geneva to morzine is fairly short.
latest report
Quote:

If I was 6 months old I'd wail too. Is it that unreasonable to ask people to consider others around them?

A plane is just a form of public transport - baby has paid and has got as much right to be there as anyone IMO. I hate fat smelly people on the train but there is sod all I can do about it
snow report
@dw832, yes, I do think you are being unreasonable. I've done a great deal of flying, much of it longer haul than Australia, with and without kids of all ages. IME parents generally prepare well and kids are fine. Sitting in a restricted car seat is also bad for babies.

I hope your trip to Australia goes well and if your baby is unhappy at times I hope you'll find people tolerant and sympathetic.

Breastfed babies are easiest to manage on flights, by the way.
snow report
Neither I'd go by daytime Eurostar with kids that age. However sadly there is no direct train service to Morzine.
latest report
We flew on a ski holidays with a 6 month old. The taxiing to the runway saw him drop of to sleep and the bump on landing woke him up. Same lad as a 10 yr old was a nightmare whatever travel method. Just wanted to have fun.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
@dw832, yes, I do think you are being unreasonable. I've done a great deal of flying, much of it longer haul than Australia, with and without kids of all ages. IME parents generally prepare well and kids are fine. Sitting in a restricted car seat is also bad for babies.

Fear we'll have to agree to disagree Pam Sad

>>> I hope your trip to Australia goes well and if your baby is unhappy at times I hope you'll find people tolerant and sympathetic.

Sorry - I confused you. Our kids are now in their 20s. Hope they may be there one day so we have an excuse to go.

The point I was making is that flying with very young children/babies is sometimes unavoidable, but on lots of holiday flights I just feel 'I want to go on holiday' is the priority over what's best for my child. It's why there are camp sites in Devon

>>>>> Breastfed babies are easiest to manage on flights, by the way.

Perhaps that really is the answer - encourage breastfeeding on board. Sure some other grouchy bloke would moan about that though.
snow report
I remember long car journeys when I was a kid. There were no car seats or even seat belts. I'd slide around on a vinyl rear seat in my sleeping bag after having been dosed up with a hot toddy. How times have changed... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@dw832, are you actually being serious or have you been on the pop this afternoon. Whilst not completely uncommon some children arent good on flights for lots of reasons, and mostly their parents try their best to calm the child or keep them occupied. There is the odd parent who doesnt give a stuff, but in my experience there are just as many if not more who once in their hotel are quite happy for their children to run riot as 'that is why we pay for child care'

Far more drunken adults causing real problems on flights than children.
ski holidays
@dw832, if you're so keen on considering others then you'd stay at home Wink I'd far rather suffer a flight with a screaming child next to me than put up with all the bloody people that flood to the SW during the summer NehNeh On a flight I can put some headphones in and ignore the screaming child, sadly the hoardes blocking up the roads every Friday through the summer are just an effective way of doubling my commute.
snow report
>It's why there are camp sites in Devon

No snow on the hills this year though!

Hit a nerve! I get about kids on planes and have been there myself cursing the parents of some snot or other. To be fair even pre-kids I always had sympathy for the parents with screaming babies just annoyed at the ones that are oblivious to their bored 8 yr olds causing havoc. My tactic now is to take a handful of Valium, break them in half (faster acting) then swallow the lot then let Mum deal with it all...

Cheers peeps - gives us something to think about. I think driving is the better option (primarily because crap flight times and extra flexibility) - Missus is all for flying as she doesn't think she will be able to sleep and leave me to drive without the benefit of her helpful hints.

Cue Paper/Scissors/Stone game I think.
snow report
What are you going to do with the kids when you get there?
ski holidays
terrygasson wrote:
if I was you, I would drive the main chunk on the Friday during the day taking regular stops then book a room within a short hop from morzine for the Friday evening, that is what we are doing, leaving bath for about 4am, but to be fair our kids are 12 and 9 and travel really well, you will still need two car seats and associated equipment for a 6month and 2 year old for in resort if you fly.

Probably my ignorance, but if you haven't driven or hired a car, what are you going to do with car seats?
latest report
sugarmoma666 wrote:
terrygasson wrote:

Probably my ignorance, but if you haven't driven or hired a car, what are you going to do with car seats?

I think the point is, if they fly, that they will hire a car from the airport and therefore need the car seat...although I thought most hire firms were able to supply them anyway
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ooooh but it's so nice over your way @SnoodyMcFlude, we went to crantock last August so maybe held you up going past Exeter wink although it was about 7.30pm though on our way there.

My two are always intrigued driving the car into the train, much excitement as I get them to sit up front going in then quite happy to sleep after that. You can take any amount of food and drink for them as well compared to the fly option.
ski holidays
queen bodecia wrote:
I remember long car journeys when I was a kid. There were no car seats or even seat belts. I'd slide around on a vinyl rear seat in my sleeping bag after having been dosed up with a hot toddy. How times have changed... Toofy Grin

I'm sure we were given (1960's) something called jollop to make us sleep, but a quick search suggests that's a laxative, so clearly not what you'd give a young child if you want a peaceful time.
snow report
ansta1 wrote:
@dw832, are you actually being serious or have you been on the pop this afternoon. Whilst not completely uncommon some children arent good on flights for lots of reasons, and mostly their parents try their best to calm the child or keep them occupied. There is the odd parent who doesnt give a stuff, but in my experience there are just as many if not more who once in their hotel are quite happy for their children to run riot as 'that is why we pay for child care'

Far more drunken adults causing real problems on flights than children.

Never had a problem with drunken adults on any ski flights (honest), but I can remember the odd summer flight where there were some noisy groups - nothing nasty though, perhaps I've just been lucky. Wailing babies - virtually every flight (perhaps I've just been unlucky). The wonders of iplayer and headphones do solve the problem for me, but still feel sorry for the baby that's had no choice.
snow report
Ryan wrote:
>It's why there are camp sites in Devon

No snow on the hills this year though!

Hit a nerve! I get about kids on planes and have been there myself cursing the parents of some snot or other. To be fair even pre-kids I always had sympathy for the parents with screaming babies just annoyed at the ones that are oblivious to their bored 8 yr olds causing havoc. My tactic now is to take a handful of Valium, break them in half (faster acting) then swallow the lot then let Mum deal with it all...

Cheers peeps - gives us something to think about. I think driving is the better option (primarily because crap flight times and extra flexibility) - Missus is all for flying as she doesn't think she will be able to sleep and leave me to drive without the benefit of her helpful hints.

Cue Paper/Scissors/Stone game I think.

Surely, it's got to be I-Spy! Hope you have a great trip. Do let us know how you get on.
snow conditions
Boris wrote:

A plane is just a form of public transport - baby has paid and has got as much right to be there as anyone IMO.

Er, sorry to be a pedant, but I think babies are free on planes as long as they sit on someone's lap Smile
ski holidays
@ski3, parts of it are lovely, sitting on the M5 for 20 minutes after a day at work is not:D l What I don't understand is the people that travel down from the north when they've got the Lake District far closer to them, which is much nicer.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 6-01-16 22:25; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@Ryan, have you thought of ferrying from Plymouth? Save the slog of getting to the SE. I haven't a clue about the other side, but you're saving one side of a triangle! Probably a nicer drive too.
snow report
@martinm, Plymouth crossings take ages though.
ski holidays
^ and they're blooming expensive too
ski holidays
@dw832 - Paper/Sissors/Stone is to decide if we Fly (Wife's choice) or Drive (mine). Or maybe we will just fly Wink

@martinm - depends on airline. E.g. low cost ones they are not free - you still pay something like £30 each way. Think thats to pay for the in-flight magazine they like tearing into 1 inch squares.

Looked into Plymouth ferry - but its very very expensive (and in winter can be rough as badgers) and the first part of the journey shouldn't be that much of a pain as can combine with visit to relatives in SE.
latest report
Driving seems the best to me. You can stop when you need to. You can fit all the associated clobber required for kids and its altogether more flexible and relaxing.
latest report
@pam_w - going with Ski Family style company (everyone in chalet has kids) and the kids will be in their crèche. Wouldn't want to subject others in a chalet to my little angels who should really be confined to home until 16 Wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy