Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tell me about Chamonix

Poster: A snowHead
We're looking for a change this year and I've always hankered after Chamonix after a school trip was cancelled. Two adults, one go anywhere, one just getting to grips with blacks and two fearless boys (13 and 10). We like miles under our skis, exploring, a good plat du jour. What one of us hates is walking miles in ski boots rolling eyes
Thanks
snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Unless you're planning to ski off piste, of which there is a huge amount, Chamonix doesn't many pistes compared to other big name areas. And the food in the mountain restaurants is average to dire.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chamonix is good for off-piste and night life for over 20s. Not miles under skis. Not mountain restaurants. Unless you venture out to Grands Montets which is a few miles out of town and an off-piste mecca there are better places to suit.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks both. That answers that then!!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I would say that although there aren't a huge number of pistes, it's easy to forget that they are generally pretty (very) long. I don't think you'd get bored in a week.

Food, yes, the Compagnie owned restaurants leave much to be desired however...

- Brevent: the restaurant at the very top is good and the views utterly amazing.
- La Balme: either the Ecuries de Charamillon or the Alpage de Balme (tiny) are great - reservation essential for both in busy weeks and the Alpage at any time. The one in Vallorcine whose name I always forget gets mixed reviews.
- Grands Montets: Cremerie du Glacier is supposed to be very good but we've never reserved early enough
- Les Houches: Le Cha and especially La Taniere are both good.

It's an iconic place. Sounds like you'd easily have the skillz to exploit it and just need a careful bit of planning re lunching. If conditions up for it then you could have a very lovely guided day down the legendary Vallee Blanche with a good lunch at the Refuge du Requin or the Hotel Montenvers.

And even a day in Courmayeur at which point the food becomes almost the objective (e.g. Chiecco).

Worth considering...

I am of course, biased, being an accommodation provider. But we like our lunches too wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I am heading out with family next week, staying argentiere for first time. As we are mixed ability, are there any free practice/bunny slopes for the kids to re-aquaint themselves with their ski -legs? After a day or so we would hope to ski together further up. Also which area is best for novices near to where we are staying,bearing in mind logistics of transporting 3 teens without a car. Thanks
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@big k, I'd bus up to La Balme...

http://chamonix.montblancbus.com/en
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oh my Goodness @under a new name, I've just watched a video of the Vallee Blanche - looks amazing. Thank you for the advice. Where would we be best to base ourselves? What sort of accom do you have?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@snowfraise, you have a PM in your inbox Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@under a new name, Im out to Argentiere on Friday for a week and on a BASS Level 1 Off Piste course for 2 days and then a guided day on Monday. 1st time in the Chamonix valley and looking forward to it. The arette on the VB looks hairy what with me not good at heights n all!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
To add to food:
Le Passon @ Le Tour (bottom, near to gondola, need to book)
Cafe Comptoir @ Vallorcine
Chalet Refuge Lognan @ Grands Montets (the old stone mountain hut off to the left as you look up the mountain)
Cremerie as mentioned (good luck finding the turning off the piste!)
Marmottons at the bottom of the resort run at Grands Montets

As @under a new name says, the pistes are very long albeit not numerous. We always notice this when skiing elsewhere - the ratio of ski to lift time at Argentiere is fantastic compared to many resorts, and the lifts cover a lot of vertical.

@big k, depends where you are staying, if you're near to Les Chosalets then that's also a good beginner slope, albeit not free. If not, as @under a new name says, La Balme (specifically La Vormaine) is good and has a small free lift, 2 bigger paid for ones (with cheap 2-4hr tickets) and friendly lifties.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@charliesimpson, is the VB "open" - our tame guide is in semi-retirement and so I haven't heard anything (not that I've been asking). I do hear that the crevasses up the Grands Montets are still rather, errr, obvious. If you do do it, rent some crampons for the arete. You won't regret it...

@snowdave, ah yes, Cafe Comptoir. That's the Vallorcine one.

Must admit I'm not a huge fan of 'Lognan. Any restaurant that will only serve you cheese on toast unless you book in advance annoys me. I know it's halfway up a mountain but it's 2016. Helicopters!

We had a rather good lunch in the Olympique at the bottom of the Charamillon (Balme) bubble last year. Marmottons I haven't actually eaten in since about 1999 but it's always fun to count the "Pulls Rouges" having their breakfast wine while I'm having my breakfast coffee...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Don't forget that you can also bus out to Les Houches as well. I think it's a good plan for your crew and it might give you a flavour for off piste too. Toofy Grin VB is a must and yes the arette (sp?) can be hairy scary especially when roped together but it's worth it.

It's a bucket list destination so I'd recommend going to at least get it ticked off. Haven't been for at least 10 years (probably longer) so must go back some time. Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It might be really obvious but don't forget that the various ski areas are not linked. And the distances can be substantial. A car will help enormously as will going at a time of year when parking is not too much of a mission.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@pam w, the Mairie has a new and more frequent bus service running even with a Shocked night bus which finally saw us getting on a bus.

My understanding is that it's a big improvement, excepting that to get from Up or down the whole valley you have to change once.

Which is stimulating all sorts of grumbly conversations.
snow conditions
Thank you for all the advice. We're having a good look at this now. Very Happy
latest report
Just Base yourself at a different area each day, none of which are more than a half hour bus ride wherever your staying, and on the last 3 days (presuming your going for a week) go back to your favourite or take a day with a guide. Planards in town is the best find your feet area and is ridiculously cheap for half a day and always quiet.

The run down to Vallorcine off the back of le Tour is one of my favourite pistes anywhere and Brevent/Flegere has the best views anywhere along with blazing sun all day if conditions are on your side. Add to that the runs back down to the valley will have your legs burning but admittedly it's 50/50 if they will be in skiable condition (just cause they are closed doesn't mean they aren't complete, although you'll only find out by actually skiing it)!

The bus system is a slight inconvenience but it's regular and we'll run...and free!

Chamonix has to be ticked off and then once probably isn't enough...I'd be surprised if you didn't yearn to return!!!
snow conditions
I am a red run skier, so worse than you. But I liked chamonix. you can ski a different mountain everyday. I never eat on the mountain on account of cost (just picnic with baked goods from the base). The restaurants in the city are perfectly fine.

I don't do off piste, so I think my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt. But the whole chamonix area is fairly big.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy