Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sauze or Champoluc - Advice Required

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have the opportunity to go to either of the two aforementioned resorts for a short 4 day break on the 20th February, having secured cheap flights and car hire to Turin, and availed of the free cancellation option on booking.com. I now need to choose one or the other!

Been to Sauze before and loved it but part of me fancies going somewhere new, and possibly more snow-sure, given the difficult start to the season in this corner of the Alps.

What is the snow record like in Champoluc, are you able to ski freely into Gressoney, and which resort would be more suited to a short break? No great need for mad apres, but a few beers and some live music at the end of the day would be ideal also?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@debtors#2, Champoluc generally has a good snow record and is well cannoned up. Easy to get into Gressoney. A few bars and good food.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I skiied both last season but we're doing two trips to Champoluc this year. Can't beat the place for authentic Italian atmosphere, wonderful mountain restaurants and value for money. The skiing is great at Sauze and even better if you like to travel and go further into Claviere etc but for us its just a bit too British. 20 Feb is going to be a half term week so there will be even more Brits in Sauze - inc kids. However that's a Carnivale week so it will be busy everywhere in Europe.

Of course there's more apres in Sauze but if you just want some beers, maybe some music and definitely some free pizza and snacks, then Champoluc has plenty. You can enjoy your drinks with a friendly crowd that includes everyone from ski instructors and tourists to card-playing locals. Love it. Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
7 of us stayed at the Hotel du Champoluc a couple of years ago, it's a lovely hotel, food was great. The area is quite linear and unknown to us the Italian schools were off, so for once the area was quite busy so there was a few bottle necks with queues that never seemed to thin out. I don't think I have drunk more coffee on a ski holiday as there was one bottle neck in particular, where it was busy most of the time so we just gave up and went and drank cheap but very tasty coffee. The night life was just dead when we were there, we weren't looking to party but sit in a bar where it was busy enough to enjoy the atmosphere but after 8pm the bars that we found really quietened down, on the plus side there weren't too many Brits which was fine by us. We did the big off-piste area at the top of the big cable car (it's name escapes me) that was really good fun as snow conditions were good with little avalanche risk. As Wordbird says the apres ski in Sauze in very busy, well it was when I was there a couple of times in the late 90's and the Milky Way into Montgenevre was good fun. If it's only 4 days I'm sure either resort will be fine for you.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Champoluc is a great ski area but there isn't really any apres to speak of. It's not a huge area (but more than enough for one week) and as JuanDavienarey said there is a bit of a bottleneck at the top of the main red out of the village. When you get to the Goat statue you have to go left to get into the rest of the ski area and the run down is fairly narrow and steep (only for a couple of hundred yards) so there are usually a lot of people standing at the sides giving you even less room. The alternative to get to Gressony is to catch a bus to Frachy then take the funicular up. If you are ok on reds then there is no need to do this.

Besides that one small caveat (and it's really not that bad) you'll have a great time there, lovely atmosphere and some great restaurants.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@JuanDavienarey, unfortunately the Hotel Champoluc has been sold to Inghams which is running it as a chalet hotel with British staff. A real shame, stayed there many times and it now looks a lot more expensive and less Italian. Although it does still have a great piste-side location of course.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Inghams are operating hotel Champoluc but I don't think they bought it.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The owner of the hotel has retired and emailed me last year to say he had sold it. inghams is part of Swiss co Hotelplan which owns many properties in the Alps.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I like them both very much but personally I'd go the Champoluc to see something different
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Wordbird, ah. Interesting, thanks. Wonder what they paid? Pity they haven't bought the Favre.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We were sad about the Champoluc, end of an era and there are many disappointed Crystal clients. As a result Crystal has downgraded its Champoluc service - now only does Le Relais and the Coupoles apartments - and doesn't even keep a rep in resort. Going independently this year.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Many thanks for all the responses, it has been highly beneficial. We've decided to rule out Sauze and go with either Champoluc or Serre Chevalier. We will leave it until the last minute to decide, allowing us to track the snow reports up until then. Looking at the current state of play, Serre does look to be the front runner.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Wordbird, out of nosiness, where you staying?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@debtors#2, having skied in Serre and Sauze last week, I'd be going for Serre every time, way more pistes open and frankly better choice of restaurants and quality of snow. Obviously that will change in the next few weeks, but from what is there now even if it doesn't snow at all Serre is still going to have a decent range of stuff open and in good shape for a week of skiing.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy