Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Christmas 2016

Poster: A snowHead
This Christmas has been so dire here in the UK i've decided to take the clan, about 8 with boyfriends and girlfriends away this Christmas for 10 days 24/12 to 2/01. i think we'll book a self cater chalet, would like a pretty resort (keep the boss happy) with nice shops but also it needs to be above 1800m just in case rolling eyes

Any good suggestions? we'll probably drive.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Your narrow criteria points to Val d'Isere or Courchevel 1850
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks @Dr John,
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
or La Plagne. Plagne Soleil Plagne Villages Aime 2000 Plagne Bellcote Plagne Centre Plagne 1800 are all above 1800.
Similarly Les Arcs has several areas above 1800.
The nice shops request is in the eye of the beholder, surely?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@gazzaredcruiser, If it needs to be above 1800m then are you ruling out more eg Austria?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@boredsurfin, "pretty resort" most definitely rules La Plagne out of consideration! Where's that vomiting smiley?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not sure I would call either Courchevel 1850 or Val pretty but opinions vary. (Courchevel is also below 1800 but they put 1850 as a marketing tool.)
Personally I would relax the height criteria a little, the height at which you sleep is not as important as the height at which you ski.

I would consider Ischgl as this has an excellent early season snow record and has decent height. Not as pretty as some but not ugly either.
You can get self catering for eight here but will have to book early. I have stayed with this number down the valley at Kappl and over the hill at Samnaun (which is also close to your height criteria.)
I would also consider places like Davos and Andermatt in Switzerland which often have good early season snow.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The vast majority of the Austrian resorts I've skied have had most of their skiing above 1800m, so no need to rule it out. Quite a few glaciers too.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well just back from New Year short break.

We had booked to go to Skiwelt/Lofer area and with the lack of snow we changed our plans with a week to go. We Skied in Solden which is a lot higher and had a great time. We even had a decent bit of snow one night, I think if I was to ski again early in the season Solden and Obergurgl would be my first choice.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@stevomcd, now now, plagne centre is certainly an ugly beast, but plagne villages and belle plagne are very quaint by standards in the French Alps!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@gazzaredcruiser, After two duff starts to the season in the Alps you are a far braver man than me to book any sort of skiing holiday before mid-Jan.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Perhaps the OP really needs a resort that is more traditional in looks and has a tad more to do than La Plagne. Many new resorts just have nice cladding to make them look nice ish.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Your experience of the French Alps is possibly a bit limited, @chopkins13. There are plenty of pretty villages but they're not above 1800m. It always amuses when folk describe Val d'Isere as pretty, but it takes all sorts.

The most sensible answer is probably to wait till much nearer the time. There are plenty of self catering places for 8 though the ones which can truthfully be described as a "chalet" won't be cheap.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@gazzaredcruiser, I will be booking my usual 2 to 3 weeks over Christmas and New Year when I pay my bill here on Saturday. My only "bitch" about next year is that it will use up a lot of my holiday time as Germany does not make up any holidays that fall at the weekend. Next Christmas/New Year is a really bad one for us! I am staying a a lowly 800m but could have skied almost the entire Ski amadé area from day 1 had I been a) fit enough and b)wanted to! This year I've had 22 days away for the princely sum of 11 working days, next year the same length will cost me 15 days Sad
But I'm back here in 2 weeks and should be skiing again having now recovered most of my strength after a severe bout of whooping cough in November/early December Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Cool
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@gazzaredcruiser, If it needs to be above 1800m then are you ruling out more eg Austria?@Frosty the Snowman, I love Austria and much prefer to ski there, better apres etc etc, but as you say height is an issue. Ischgl is ok to name one, but also i thought we'd drive and that make it a bit of a hike!

I'm off to Plagne in two weeks with the boys, great ski area but pretty not! Taking the boss to Alpbach in March for her first time on skis. Very pretty, nice designer shops, but not such a great ski area. I guess Val or Cour 1850 look favourite.
snow report
thanks everyone, point taken about sleeping lower and skiing higher.
@pam w, you have vast knowledge and experience!, which drivable, pretty French resort would you go to where we can ski above 1,500m.

Austria is calling quite loudly

snowHead
ski holidays
@gazzaredcruiser,
Ive not driven to Austria from UK but reports are that there is little difference to Western Austria and many French resorts.
RAC gives a difference of 1 hour between Ischgl and Val disere.

The final road is certainly better to Ischgl than Val d'Isere in my experience, having driven to both from airports several times. I would much rather do Ischgl in bad weather than Val D'Isere or Courchevel.
ski holidays
@T Bar, Wise words, that's amazing, I'd never have thought that. Austria is becoming a firm favourite. Toofy Grin
snow report
Courcheval 1850 is very pretty at dusk with all the Xmas lights and decorations up, of French resorts mentioned it is the only one in my opinion that offers pretty, fairly high, and a fair amount of shopping (all be it mostly somewhat expensive) and @T Bar, the height at which you are based can be as important as the access to high snow for skiing. If you have party members that are not skiers and who want a 'nice' place to stay over the holiday period having snow around the accommodation can be very important.
snow report
Ischgl wasn't cheap when I looked at it. But then neither is Val D or 1850.

I think whether somewhere is pretty is a little be in the eye of the beholder. And personally I spend very little time looking at or wandering around where my accomodaton is located. I am more interested in it's practicality.

I don't shop when I ski.
latest report
Well the old town section of Val D'isere is certainly pretty enough. Just look for a place in the village proper rather than the surrounding developments.
latest report
@CaravanSkier, Mmm I wouldn't disagree that Courchevel's appearance is improved by the dark.
snow report
We went to Cervinia this Christmas. Loved it. Not lots of designer shops but a few. Photo taken on Christmas Day at Klein Matterhorn, 3900m I think!
ski holidays
Shops? really? Good lord... now I know who keeps the plentiful and expensive tat palaces in business.
ski holidays
OK next question, does anyone know a good quality chalet company that's not a big TO?
latest report
@gazzaredcruiser, If you are looking for self catering I would try Interhome and the Tourist offices of the resorts you are interested in.
snow report
@T Bar, Cheers
ski holidays
@gazzaredcruiser, if you are driving Peak Retreats have high quality options with good Tunnel deals. I wouldn't book now though.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I wouldn't book now though.

I am pretty keen on last minute or late booking but in this case I disagree. @gazzaredcruiser, is looking for fairly sizeable accommodation in a high resort for a period over New Year which is just about the most popular week of the year, in a high resort. Such places are popular some people book the same places year after year.
I have tried to find accommodation in some resorts for this period in September for large family bookings and found entire resorts sold out, I would go as early as possible.
snow conditions
Yes, if he's decided to go high and ditch the pretty traditional village criterion that makes sense. if next Christmas is a cold and snowy one I'dnot want to be above the treeline in a purpose built high rise resort nor pay Courchevel 1850 prices either but that's the trade off.
snow report
@pam w,
Even a lot of the lower but still reasonably high resorts in Austria with good snow records (which is where I tried for in the past ) do sell out early. I can't speak for everywhere in the alps and all accommodation but when looking for larger places for eight people in one of the busiest weeks of the year I would book early.
snow report
@pam w, isn`t everything in life a trade off? Smile

@T Bar, I did say at dusk for a reason Laughing But I have yet to find a resort that does meet all the requisite op criteria! Then again its years since I skied Austria or Germany.

We eventually decided that ease of access to the chalet/apartment with snow around it was more important than access to good shopping. We also decided that beautiful views from the apartment were important. I guess so far the one that met that most closely was Chalet Altitude at Arc 2000. We requested an apartment with beautiful views, and got it. There was an in house pool and sauna, a bar/pub and tiny supermarket all pretty much under the same roof. The first drag lift (not for beginners) was pretty much next door plus a tiny bit, and there was a normal in a building lift up to the beginners area again even by my standards pretty much next door. The town square was easily accessible but with very limited shopping, However Bourg St Maurice was just down the mountain ( 20 mins - half an hour drive) with all the shopping of a year round town in the Alps, plus all the other 'stuff' a real town offers.

La Rosiere, at the Les Eucherts end was actually prettier to look at and the views across to Les Arcs were wonderful. The shopping in La Ros itself is limited and where we stayed access to the slopes ski back (for the proficient skier) but not ski out. In house we had a sauna and small pool. Again BSM is only just down the mountain for anyone who wants a short drive to 'proper' shops.

If anyone discovers the 'perfect' ski resort for skiers and non-skiers please let me know
Very Happy
latest report
@gazzaredcruiser, I usually try not to get involved in pimping my own village, but given your OP, you need to try Arc 1950 before dismissing the French.

http://www.arc1950.com
snow report
No idea about Austria but Christmas is not particularly busy in my area. Perhaps because of no TOs. Whereas new year and the French holidays are manic. I think people might be wary about Christmas after two dire ones across much of the alps and hold back booking. 1800 wasn't high enough for significant natural snow in France this season and the picture seems to have been of ribbons of manmade. it's a risk whenever you book but a group of good friends will have a great holiday regardless of conditions and with a smattering of pre-planning can eat very well without having to work too hard.
snow report
@pam w,
Quote:

No idea about Austria but Christmas is not particularly busy in my area. Perhaps because of no TOs. Whereas new year and the French holidays are manic.

Although the thread title says xmas the OP is looking at the xmas/NY period and including NY in the first post.
ski holidays
@gazzaredcruiser, take a look at Apartment(haus) Strims in Zauchensee. It is run by a British instructor and his wife and may well fit exactly what you want.

http://www.skizauchensee.com/

I prefer to find a good quality 3* Gasthof and let them do all the work to be honest! I'm paying 75 Euro a night in my current place, half board which includes an enormous 4-course menu every night (if I want it). With groups it is easier to be flexible in hotels/Gasthöfe as well!
latest report
@Samerberg Sue, What happens in such establishments when you have someone who does not ski, and wants to remain in the residence all day?
latest report
Fortunately people like different sorts of accommodation. I don't like hotels - one reason I'm not doing the Birthday Bash again. Some years ago I rented a 6 bed chalet in Les Gets for a group of 11. My mother, who wasn't a skier and had mobility problems, baked some kind ofapres ski cake each day and the other 5 rooms were each responsible for planning producing and clearing an evening meal. We ate very well, with no silly competitive"dinner party" cooking. Nobody went out after dinner, after a day's skiing, we played lots of different games and tended to sit round the table for ages with a drink or 3. It was an economical and memorable holiday. Snow cover (January) was a bit thin and icy but the sunshine made up for it. but it's not always possible to get that kind of compatible group together, obviously. I was the only one who knew all the others and it was a fair bit of organization, including renting 3 cars.
latest report
@CaravanSkier, I've been finding out myself as I'm recovering from a nasty bout of whooping cough. I've read, played solitaire, gone for walks and done basically sod all most of the time. And that's for nearly 3 weeks and I have to say I've loved the lack of pressure.

@pam w, there is a world of difference between staying in your own place, set up to your specs and coming into a strange place that is often bare of any of the things we simply take for granted. I manage some apartments here and each week they are left absolutely bare of all the things you use without thinking for meals. Fine for those who are not cooking or cleaning, it is still a hotel for them. But for those organizing food it is a right royal pain in the backside to find you are missing an ingredient 5 minutes after the supermarket has shut! I like to have no worries when I'm on holiday. My only decisions are whether to go for the meal and what to choose, that is real relaxation.
ski holidays
after also having a fairly dismal xmas at home, weather wise at least, I will be looking into a trip to the alps this year and will commence the subtle soft sell to the O/H after our family trip in feb if it all goes well.
will book two or three different accommodation options (in two or 3 resorts) on booking.com that can be cancelled nearer the time if worst case scenario of 3 poor snow years in a row at no cost, as we would drive we will not have to pay for expensive flights in advance and book crossing close to travelling.
if all goes to plan the kids will be skiing/playing in snow at Christmas. Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy