Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Prescription Inserts for Goggles

Poster: A snowHead
chivdog wrote:
@SlipnSlide, yes, for some reason known only to my optometrist I can't wear them.

I had an optician who told me I could never wear contact lenses, and got quite shirty with me about it. He told me I could go elsewhere if I wanted contacts as he wouldn't fit them.

So I did. Another optician said there was no reason why I couldn't have them, and 12 years later I still wear them most days with no ill effects. All I'm saying is, it might be worth a second opinion. You could get dailies and just wear them for sports.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I tried contacts multiple times over the last 10 years and never found the combination that was sufficiently stable (I have astigmatism so the lens needs to not rotate), comfortable enough to wear all day and good vision.
Had my sight test in December and enquired whether there had been any new products on the market that might work. There were some new daily lenses out, had a trial and I'm a convert, perfect for skiing (glasses still slightly better for working on a computer though, and at 50 quid a month I don't really want to wear contacts every day). Have used them for one ski holiday already, as well as several times at Hemel, worked really well.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Any recommendations here besides inserts? Tried them out but were uncomfortable.
Anyone tried prescription goggles? ([url=]www.snowvision.net[/url])
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
^Get a helmet with a built in visor, preferably with interchangeable visors types (low light and sun). Got one this season and problems with glasses resolved instantly, no fogging, can use own glasses etc..
Prescription inserts are a waste of money and I expect prescription goggles are expensive.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
MikeM wrote:
^Get a helmet with a built in visor, preferably with interchangeable visors types (low light and sun). Got one this season and problems with glasses resolved instantly, no fogging, can use own glasses etc..
Prescription inserts are a waste of money and I expect prescription goggles are expensive.

My wife has one of these and it's utterly useless when the snow is getting blown about .

Why are inserts "a waste of money " ? " I expect prescription goggles are expensive"

I expect buying a helmet with a visor and a second additional visor is expensive too.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
MikeM wrote:

Why? I've never had issue with mine nor are they uncomfortable?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've used prescription inserts for over 10 years. Get along just fine with them.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
MikeM wrote:
^Get a helmet with a built in visor, preferably with interchangeable visors types (low light and sun). Got one this season and problems with glasses resolved instantly, no fogging, can use own glasses etc.....

I stopped wearing my prescription glasses while skiing, as I occasionally "fall over" - and so wanted to avoid damaging either glasses or face. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Subtle SPAM..? (by javaro)
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Roguevfr wrote:
I expect buying a helmet with a visor and a second additional visor is expensive too.

Got mine for £60 with two visors, low light and sun. Worked fine in both conditions.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
albob wrote:

Damn... probably true, well and truly suckered into that one Sad
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
FWIW I have tried the following:

Daily Lenses + Goggles - Best snow experience, but I struggled getting the lenses out at night, and ended up with 2 stuck round the back of my eyeball.
Visor Helmet and glasses - Disaster. Airflow is pants through the visor and the glasses steam up.
OTG & glasses - same as Visor helmet.
Goggles with prescription inserts - does not mist up, and visibility is excellent when looking forwards, so would recommend for skiing.
Though as I mainly board, and am looking sideways most of the time, you get a big blind spot and its hard to tell how far away you are from things on the periphery of your field of view. It's manageable, but challenging at first.
Prescription Sunnies - Great apart from bad weather, whereupon I don the goggles with inserts and head home.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've been using this season, when conditions demand, goggles that are not prescription, and goggles that do have prescription inserts, they are sealed unit in with built-in varifocal lenses as well that avoid the nightmare of misting and fogging up by not using stand-alone optical frame inserts.

For me a lens that is varifocal is a must, especially when WhatsApping mates telling them about what great conditions they are missing Laughing

And a more detailed review here

https://www.stylealtitude.com/prescription-ski-goggles.html

Though I have to say that I use my prescription wrap around Bolles 90% of the time, again with varifocal lenses
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
albob wrote:
That's what I thought but was surprised by @MikeM's comment so was curious as to why.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
the post resurrecting this thread is probably spam
snow conditions
Apologies too, did not see the Javaro post, ironic in that it was snow-vision I now see rolling eyes
ski holidays
MikeM wrote:
Roguevfr wrote:

Got mine for £60 with two visors, low light and sun. Worked fine in both conditions.

I suppose £60 is cheap ish, but equipment is available at all price points. Just as some people are happy with goggles from lidl for a tenner, and some will only use those at £200 +

Like I said, my wife has one, her is a Dainese which cost considerably more than £60 with a single visor , and is useless under wind blown snow conditions.
snow report
Bit of a thread dredge here..couple of questions for those that have the prescription inserts from https://www.prescriptioninserts.com/all-prescription-inserts

(1) how good is the anti fog coating, worth the extra $?
(2) anyone have anon m2 goggles and the inserts? I’m in NZ so can’t try the trial pack to see which fit best. The 001 universal look similar to another more expensive brand of inserts that are specified for anon m’s.

Cheers all
latest report
Welcome to Snowheads @Globe. I do have inserts from this company, however I now found some contacts that work for me so only use inserts as a backup.
I believe I did buy anti-fog and don't recall having major fogging problems (but don't have non anti-fog inserts to compare!) certainly better than OTG goggles were - but good goggles matter too!

I have to say that I found prescriptioninserts.com helpful, they are a small family run firm and were very responsive when I initially had a problem with the website and then there was an issue with the inserts when they arrived, they took them back and remanufactured them to solve the problem. Not sure how easy that would be from NZ though! My experience was good enough that I now get my glasses from their sister brand spex4less.

That said, if you can find a good optician that can make contacts work for you I think that is the best solution (I really struggled to get contacts that worked until I went to a good independant optician who was prepared to offer trials from several lens manufacturers, I found the high street chains would give up if the second one they tried didn't work) - if you've tried before try again, the technology has improved!
ski holidays
Thankyou sir, can’t wear contacts so it’s either OTG or inserts unfortunately, cheers
snow report
@Globe, Or a helmet with a visor. I know people who swear by them, but I've also seen them fall over and it shovel snow into their faces Laughing
snow conditions
I can recommend the dragon dx3 goggles, they're otg and a very good goggle for your money.
ski holidays
@Tubaski, that’s definitely the way I do it. I need glasses 100% so going in for lunch ect I would have to wear goggles or carry spare pair of specs.
The visor helmets work well with specs but you need to try on to make sure visor clears specs on way down & up
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy