Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Season in Whistler 2016 / 17

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys,

Me and my wife live in the UK and are planning on taking a year off from work and heading to Canada for the Ski season of 2016/17.

Im getting mixed responses with regards to the best way of getting a VISA and organising the trip.

Option A) - Spend about £600 ($900) and use a company such as BUNAC or Smaller Earth who will set up your visa and try and arrange a job / accommodation for you before you depart. Obviously this is £1200 we would rather keep saved up.

Option B) - Head to Whistler before the season starts around September time and find a job that way, hopefully catch a Job Fair. I've read a lot of forums etc and its 50/50 on how easy it is to get a job when you are in Whistler, some say that when you get there then there are tons of jobs to choose from before the seasons starts. Others are saying its difficult and locals get jobs over international workers.

I've holidayed in Whistler before during the 2010 Paralympics and it was simply incredible and I've always wanted to come back for an extended period of time. This is our chance to really get stuck in and do Whistler properly so any advice from you guys on what you think would be the best way to go about this would be HUGELY appreciated.

Laughing

Also, does anyone have any experience doing this as a couple? Ideally we would be living together, just wondering if this is possible? If not then any advice on wether its better to Hostel / Staff accommodation / find your own place would be great too! Smile

Thanks in advance for any help guys!

Cheers,
Alex
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
presumably option b also has a visa?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sorry yes, option B meaning we would sort the Visa before we leave and the bank accounts, social insurance number etc ourselves once we arrive.

Thanks!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
have a browse of this forum [and this thread]:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/few-questions-about-whistler-ski-season-868546/

My understanding is that it is difficult to make enough money working at Whistler to actually live in Whistler. Perhaps you have got enough set aside to not worry about that?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Getting jobs is generally not too difficult especially if you turn up early. What is really difficult is finding affordable accommodation.
So the big benefit of getting a WB mountain job is the staff accommodation, even if some of it is like University style rooms.

Certain hotel chains also offer staff accommodation with hotel jobs (I think Fairmont and Four Seasons etc.).
A lot of places want to hire people but won't hire until they see proof of accommodation since they also know how difficult the accommodation situation is.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@alex_a_a, It is hard.
1st problem is getting a VISA at all. If you are under 30 then you can get a IEC VISA if you are lucky in the draw - nightmare for 2 people going together as no guarantee you both would get one. No chance of getting work with out a VISA.
2nd Problem - as mentioned finding accommodation is horrendous. If you can find somewhere then it will take half your wage. Yes there are places with work but it is student type share accommodation.
3rd issue is pay. They seem to be desperate for staff but still not willing to pay anymore that minimum wage. So making ends meet is virtually impossible.
Great place but speaking as one who has to help Daughter out, so she can eat, you will need loads of savings to chase the dream.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy